Decware // Reference ZMF OTL
May 18, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #106 of 114
Does anybody know if there is any problem if I plug in 2 different impedance headphones at the same time?

there shouldn't be a problem, safety wise

when plugging multiple headphoens you will hear volume going down, as same power is used to drive multiple loads (true to prettty much all amps that have multiple ports; unless the amps are genuinely separate for them which is rare).

I do wonder though, technically, what happens to damping when that happens - i.e. whether the output impedance shared across two loads of varying impedances results in any kind of averaging which impacts the damping of each of those, or not at all (i.e. parallel driving without any feedback happening). This question is beyond my knowledge as I am not an electrical engineer - if someone knows and can chime in, would be grateul to learn myself..

meantime, try and find out how it sounds..

May 19, 2024 at 4:22 AM Post #107 of 114
there shouldn't be a problem, safety wise

when plugging multiple headphoens you will hear volume going down, as same power is used to drive multiple loads (true to prettty much all amps that have multiple ports; unless the amps are genuinely separate for them which is rare).

I do wonder though, technically, what happens to damping when that happens - i.e. whether the output impedance shared across two loads of varying impedances results in any kind of averaging which impacts the damping of each of those, or not at all (i.e. parallel driving without any feedback happening). This question is beyond my knowledge as I am not an electrical engineer - if someone knows and can chime in, would be grateul to learn myself..

meantime, try and find out how it sounds..
It is essentially how you wrote. If you connect to 300 Ohms headphones to the amp (assuming it is a parallel connection, which is usually the case), then the sum sinks to 150 Ohm. This then has influence to the damping factor of course.

The complexity of the thing is, that headphones represent an impedance (as every voice coil), not just a resistance. So it has inductivity and capacitance too. These three parameters (resistance, inductivity and capacitance) are the so called impedance. Now, two from these three (capacitance and inductivity) are frequency dependent, meaning they represent different values at different frequencies. And two different voice coils/membrans (say a biocelluid and the BE coadted Verité drivers) has different propertiers accros the frequency. So paralleling them can result some alligment/disalligment situations accross the frequency range.

As for how strong these effects are and whether they are observably for the listener is case-to-case different. But manufacturers know how an impedance curve of a headphone runs and they are part of the voicing. So, mixing together two such curves is always a deviation.

May 19, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #108 of 114
It is essentially how you wrote. If you connect to 300 Ohms headphones to the amp (assuming it is a parallel connection, which is usually the case), then the sum sinks to 150 Ohm. This then has influence to the damping factor of course.

The complexity of the thing is, that headphones represent an impedance (as every voice coil), not just a resistance. So it has inductivity and capacitance too. These three parameters (resistance, inductivity and capacitance) are the so called impedance. Now, two from these three (capacitance and inductivity) are frequency dependent, meaning they represent different values at different frequencies. And two different voice coils/membrans (say a biocelluid and the BE coadted Verité drivers) has different propertiers accros the frequency. So paralleling them can result some alligment/disalligment situations accross the frequency range.

As for how strong these effects are and whether they are observably for the listener is case-to-case different. But manufacturers know how an impedance curve of a headphone runs and they are part of the voicing. So, mixing together two such curves is always a deviation.

Makes perfect sense! Thanks for the more cogent explanation..!!

May 29, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #109 of 114
Quick question for all you smart people out there:

I am looking at getting a set of Transparent Audio RCA cables to use between the ZMF DECWARE and the Taboo MKIII. Their reference cable series goes off of high impedance and low impedance (HI-Z and LOW-Z). Based on the specs below from the ZMF website, what would this classify as? I assume this would mean the ZMD Decware output would be high impedance, correct?

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/products/decware-zmf-otl

SPECS:

• 5U4G Rectifier, 6N6P Drivers, 6DJ8/ECC88/6922/6N1P input
  • 2 x XLR Jacks, 2 x 1/4" Jacks
  • 2 x RCA L/R Inputs
  • 1 x RCA Pre-Amp output
  • Dual L/R VU Meters
  • 49 ohm output impedance
  • 450 mW @ 250 ohms

May 29, 2024 at 1:18 PM Post #110 of 114
Quick question for all you smart people out there:

I am looking at getting a set of Transparent Audio RCA cables to use between the ZMF DECWARE and the Taboo MKIII. Their reference cable series goes off of high impedance and low impedance (HI-Z and LOW-Z). Based on the specs below from the ZMF website, what would this classify as? I assume this would mean the ZMD Decware output would be high impedance, correct?

SPECS:

• 2 x RCA L/R Inputs
  • 1 x RCA Pre-Amp output
  • Dual L/R VU Meters
  • 450 mW @ 250 ohms

The output impedance on the OTL interconnects may or may mot be the same as its headphone outputs, but it does typically run in lower numbers for most integrated amps (something in the 10-100 ohm range)

The input impedance of the Taboo interconnects will typically be high (something like 10k to 100k ohms).

In both cases I’d recommend reaching out to Decware to confirm.

I’m not familiar with Transparent Audio’s RCA cables. Looks like they are meant to be used directionally (not common) and if there is a low vs high impedance ends to match then I’d align them per above - between components, source is always is the low impedance out and destination is high impedance input.

May 30, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #111 of 114
The output impedance on the OTL interconnects may or may mot be the same as its headphone outputs, but it does typically run in lower numbers for most integrated amps (something in the 10-100 ohm range)

The input impedance of the Taboo interconnects will typically be high (something like 10k to 100k ohms).

I’m not familiar with Transparent Audio’s RCA cables. Looks like they are meant to be used directionally (not common) and if there is a low vs high impedance ends to match then I’d align them per above - between components, source is always is the low impedance out and destination is high impedance input.

Thank you. @zach915m Can you possibly provide some input here? When going OUT from the ZMF Decware to the Taboo, what impedance would that be? The high-end Transparent Audio "Reference" cables are usually rated for a high-impedance or low-impedance setup. What would that impedance be in that chain? Is 49ohn considered high or low? Also, on the Taboo, what is that input impedance?

Lumin X1 > ZMF Decware > CABLE GOES HERE > Decware Taboo MKIII

Original post for transparency and reference (pun intended):

SPECS:

• 2 x RCA L/R Inputs
  • 1 x RCA Pre-Amp output
  • Dual L/R VU Meters
  • 450 mW @ 250 ohms

-------------

Normally I'd just buy a decent RCA cable and not worry about it, but these start at around $4K new, and I found one pretty cheap.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #112 of 114

Thank you for the reply. I just ended up getting another set of Transparent Ultra cables off Audiogon. For now, I'm using my audioquest diamond bnc cables with gold bnc to rca converter ends. Works perfectly for now until next week.

God this amp sounds lovely. True masterpiece. To anyone waiting on a Stratus, Stellaris or OTL otherwise, give this one a listen.

May 31, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #113 of 114
Thank you for the reply. I just ended up getting another set of Transparent Ultra cables off Audiogon. For now, I'm using my audioquest diamond bnc cables with gold bnc to rca converter ends. Works perfectly for now until next week.

God this amp sounds lovely. True masterpiece. To anyone waiting on a Stratus, Stellaris or OTL otherwise, give this one a listen.

nice....! ❤️

May 31, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #114 of 114
❤️

1000027077.jpg

1000027076.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back