KG Megatron vs KG Stax T2
May 24, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #76 of 80
Help! I'd like to get a Megatron. I looked at classifieds for second-hand options, but no luck. I asked @soren_brix to build one, but it seems he lost interest in building one for me.

I'd prefer the XL version with 300B or other DHT output tubes, but am open to the EL34 version. I already have the tubes in my stash, so I'd even be interested in an amp without tubes.

Please let me know if you have an idea where / how to get a Megatron in Europe!
I sent you a PM

May 24, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #77 of 80
Help! I'd like to get a Megatron. I looked at classifieds for second-hand options, but no luck. I asked @soren_brix to build one, but it seems he lost interest in building one for me.

I'd prefer the XL version with 300B or other DHT output tubes, but am open to the EL34 version. I already have the tubes in my stash, so I'd even be interested in an amp without tubes.

Please let me know if you have an idea where / how to get a Megatron in Europe!
@Dukei built my standard megatron and is also building another megatron for me with some “upgrades”. He’s Europe based and great to work with.

Mjolnir audio will have some standard Megatron available at some point this year.

Soren is the only person who has offered the XL thus far.

May 25, 2024 at 3:04 AM Post #79 of 80
standard mt 135w from high voltage plus about 80-85 watts from tube filament = 210-220w
Blue Hawaii consumed about 135 watts
Carbon - about 75 watts which is not much
KGGG - 85 w
well 220w is certainly more than 135 and 75
but in the case of Megatron it’s like buying a sports car - yes it will eat a lot of fuel,but it will go fast)

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #80 of 80
Blue Hawaii consumed about 135 watts
Carbon - about 75 watts which is not much
well 220w is certainly more than 135 and 75
but in the case of Megatron it’s like buying a sports car - yes it will eat a lot of fuel,but it will go fast)
I'm trying to understand the effects of the 300b in replace of the el34. It seems they pull less, so I'm wondering if the differences between the two models is simply a taste for DHT instead of a linear upgrade of power/technical ability. Both run the same psu (although it looks like soren's xl has rectifier tubes?).

Possibly there is some differences from the og spec with soren's builds since he does a 1 box.
But it appears Kevin in the original DIY thread also suggests the standard model pulls 220w:
1716621629031.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back