Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 31, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #856 of 864
Good afternoon

A tip for Cayin's agent @Andykong

I would like to have volume without having to use the wheel.

I use the dap in the office and it is always on the desk, and now with the double-click function I no longer pick it up, but when I want to adjust the volume I do.

It would be nice to have a way to adjust the volume from the slide down window.

Good afternoon

A tip for Cayin's agent @Andykong

I would like to have volume without having to use the wheel.

I use the dap in the office and it is always on the desk, and now with the double-click function I no longer pick it up, but when I want to adjust the volume I do.

It would be nice to have a way to adjust the volume from the slide down window.

We have examined this option previously, the easiest option is to implement this as the form of an Android widget, but we decided not to because this will open up a lot of possibilities that we are not comfortable with under the N3Ultra direction.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 31, 2024 at 2:54 AM Post #857 of 864
@Andykong

1st of all - please don't get me wrong about my "maybe rude" attitude this is not personal.

I am very comfortable with the predecessor, the N3 Pro
Due to this i was a expectant concerning the new one.

Out of the Box the Firmware Version 1.0 is quit lousy.
For a version 0.x it might be acceptable but version 1.0 implies
final release and this is far away from the final/stable.

My first impressions while fiddling around with the new device.
1.)

I encountered frequently FW messages "...not responding" then it restarts.
This happens while listen to music and changing parameters inside the menu e.g. font size

2.)
Sometimes while choose a track for playback it happens that the player plays the track faster
without sound, the location marker was moving very fast thru the track with no output to headphone.
Choosing another track sometimes fixed it sometimes FW messages
"...not responding" then it restarts.

Due to this i tried to upgrade to FW 1.20 today.

3.)
Concerning the upgrade instructions:
Copy an uncompressed file to the root of a folder is not a big deal due to this i did it as mentioned.
But the FOTA Update function showed me ONLY the internal storage .
Even after some factory resets dosen´t showed me the external storage.
File Format is NTFS

4.)
Due to this i copied the FW 1.20 zip from the external SD card to the internal storage into the download
folder and choosing this location while using FOTA. That was the key it worked.
Of course i deleted the FW 1.20 zip from the internal location afterwards to free storage space.

5.)
After a successful FW upgrade to version 1.20 the FOTA function now shows me my SD card and NOT
the internal storage ; it looks like that it was not my imperfaction.

In a nutshell:
Currently, after mastering this obstacles, i am not thinking to return the device.
But i am confused about the software state while roll out phase.
Isn´t a >500$ device not worth to validate it propperly !?

Feature request
Could you talk to the software engineers if it is possible to:

1.)
While listening to some tracks and swiping to the left over the cover the lyrics section appears. Checked
Is it possible while swiping to the right that the Track properties appears like the Cayin N3 Pro ?

2.)
Is it possible to enhance the area to slide down the topbar menu ?
I am using the N3U with the leather sleeve and i have to pinpoint precisely with my finger tip to slide the menu down.
A casual move with my finger, like i am doing with the Cayin N3 Pro also covered in the leather case, doesn't fit with the Cayin N3 Ultra.

Thank you in advance
Michael

We have also received one report of a firmware update problem that was very similar to your case, he ran into trouble when he updated from v1.1 to v1.2.

We cannot figure out the cause of the problem, these are rare instances that can't be replicated, we can only assume this is an Android system failure at this point. Android 8.1 is not the most reliable system by today's standards, and to the best of our understanding, this can't be optimized through firmware updates.

I have submitted both requests to our software team. For request (2), it is simple to implement technically, but very difficult to handle practically. When we expand the sensor area of the pull-down menu, we need to ensure it won't overlap with another touch-sensing area so we need to cross-check with every UI screen. We have more control over the N3Pro UI design but are more limited in terms of features and gestures available. N3Ultra is Android-based, it is relatively efficient when we need to draw up a new UI screen. Unfortunately, we are limited by the Android system design criteria to a large extent.

May 31, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #858 of 864
What I'm surprised with is Cayin hasn't reached out with any acknowledgment or posts for any reviews or feedback that is not super positive.

I work with Hiby, Shanling as a beta tester and they love the input.

How companies respond to criticism and feedback speaks volumes about its character IMO.

Love to see some things I brought up in my review explained or addressed not in a defensive way but as a "We are working on it" way like the post @Andykong just did with the double tap.

listing the things Cayin is working on would go along way for anyone considering purchasing this player.

This is my first experience with the brand
Not a fanboy yet but could be turned.

I missed this post until I compiled the impression list on Post#2.

I think you have misinterpreted Cayin's position. Are you sure we didn't reach out because the review "is not super positive"?

Did we respond to Twister6's review with a big clapping hand post?

There aren't a lot of examples here in the N3Ultra thread, but if you check out the N8ii, N7, or even the N30LE thread, you probably will be aware that Cayin simply takes a different approach to user impressions and reviews. We believe reviewers and users are entitled to their opinions on subjective impressions of our product, we respect them and are free-handed from that completely. We are one of the most open-minded brands on negative reviews and impressions. When I organized a product tour, I selected members because of their review credentials and associated products that he will use in his reviews (I want to maximize the mix-and-match coverage). I have a good track record to re-select users who wrote not-so-positive reviews in due course. We maintain fair and consistent treatment regardless of whether we are dealing with a positive review or a negative review. We spend a lot of time steering people away, making sure they won't buy our product when it is not meeting their needs and preferences.

Saying we ignored you because your review is not super positive is a misleading conclusion.

May 31, 2024 at 6:19 AM Post #860 of 864
We have also received one report of a firmware update problem that was very similar to your case, he ran into trouble when he updated from v1.1 to v1.2.

We cannot figure out the cause of the problem, these are rare instances that can't be replicated, we can only assume this is an Android system failure at this point. Android 8.1 is not the most reliable system by today's standards, and to the best of our understanding, this can't be optimized through firmware updates.

I have submitted both requests to our software team. For request (2), it is simple to implement technically, but very difficult to handle practically. When we expand the sensor area of the pull-down menu, we need to ensure it won't overlap with another touch-sensing area so we need to cross-check with every UI screen. We have more control over the N3Pro UI design but are more limited in terms of features and gestures available. N3Ultra is Android-based, it is relatively efficient when we need to draw up a new UI screen. Unfortunately, we are limited by the Android system design criteria to a large extent.
Ho @Andykong Since the latest firmware uodate the screen sensitivity for next andvlast track as dropped significantly I have to use the hardware buttons to move back and forwards will this be looked at pleased

May 31, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #861 of 864
Ho @Andykong Since the latest firmware uodate the screen sensitivity for next andvlast track as dropped significantly I have to use the hardware buttons to move back and forwards will this be looked at pleased

Do you mean your N3Ultra is not responding when you click the Next and Pre button on the main playback screen?

1717168005133.png

May 31, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #862 of 864
May 31, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #863 of 864
I don't have this problem after the firmware upgrade, which probably means your unit has a screen mapping problem after the firmware upgrade, possibly caused by a Cache memory problem.

Can you perform Erase all date (Factory Reset) under System Setting > System menu? Hopefully, this will clear the cache and resume normal operation.

May 31, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #864 of 864
I don't have this problem after the firmware upgrade, which probably means your unit has a screen mapping problem after the firmware upgrade, possibly caused by a Cache memory problem.

Can you perform Erase all date (Factory Reset) under System Setting > System menu? Hopefully, this will clear the cache and resume normal operation.
All sorted that worked 💪 cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back