Cayin RU7: 1-Bit Resistor Network Dongle DAC /Amp
May 31, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #2,206 of 2,214
Gents, for anyone who like RU7 type of sound (and not only) the N7 is the "end game". Really a revelation, masterpiece both as engineering approach but more importantly in terms of sound.
No doubt the N7 is a notch above. However, I have tired of playing Amazon HD and Apple Music from non-IOS devices. The Android experience has never been solid; so I would rather use my phone as the transport.

May 31, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #2,207 of 2,214
To my ears the Hiby FC6 is clearly far inferior to the RU6.

Gents, for anyone who like RU7 type of sound (and not only) the N7 is the "end game". Really a revelation, masterpiece both as engineering approach but more importantly in terms of sound.
I don’t do only portable listening. Actually, predominantly, I listen to my home system. I use a Musician Draco DAC for that. N7 looks nice, but for the price of that, I am quite happy with HiBy R6 Pro II combined with the Draco for at-home listening and then combined with the RU7 when on the go.

-Ed

May 31, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #2,208 of 2,214
No doubt the N7 is a notch above. However, I have tired of playing Amazon HD and Apple Music from non-IOS devices. The Android experience has never been solid; so I would rather use my phone as the transport.
Apple Music seems fine to me on my HiBy R6 Pro II, even though my primary mobile is an iPhone 15 Pro Max and my primary tablet is an iPad Pro M4 11”. The only feature missing from the DAP is the Sound Check option, but I only use that in the car anyway.

-Ed

May 31, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #2,209 of 2,214
Apple Music seems fine to me on my HiBy R6 Pro II, even though my primary mobile is an iPhone 15 Pro Max and my primary tablet is an iPad Pro M4 11”. The only feature missing from the DAP is the Sound Check option, but I only use that in the car anyway.

-Ed
Well, I had many challenges with my Amazon library once it became large on my HiBy devices. I think a lot of the issues had to do with the chipset not having enough horsepower to manage a large library of downloaded music on the two streaming services I use. YMMV. No new DAPs for this cowboy. But you might be in a different rodeo.

May 31, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #2,210 of 2,214
Well, I had many challenges with my Amazon library once it became large on my HiBy devices. I think a lot of the issues had to do with the chipset not having enough horsepower to manage a large library of downloaded music on the two streaming services I use. YMMV. No new DAPs for this cowboy. But you might be in a different rodeo.
Okay, then that may be the case. I only have about 5 or 6 playlists in Apple Music that I have downloaded to the DAP (lossless/high-res lossless), the rest of my Apple Music playlists/music I stream it from the cloud at the time of playback either over Wi-Fi or off my phone’s hotspot.

-Ed

May 31, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #2,211 of 2,214
I use an analogy as an illustration. I shoot a lot of photos, previously even for Nat Geo. Sometimes I use modern high-end lenses for high sharpness, corrected aberrations and soft background blur. Sometimes I use vintage classic glass for smooth focus transitions, swirly artistic background and soft compression of contrast. You can see combining both renderings also as a trend in most Netflix series.

Why? Because sometimes we need reference quality for certain purposes or occasions, to highlight something this way. But often we prefer something not reference level yet much more pleasing to highlight certain emotions.

Basically these are different tools for different occasions, they are not mutually exclusive, they are complementary.

Well, that is the case with daps and dacs that measure objectively transparent and with those that objectively are not transparent yet subjectively provide a sound that brings more emotions due to certain psycho-acoustic effects (more body, softer edges, wider stage) of their distortions and uneven frequency response.

I am grateful that we have both.

For desktop there are r2r made at a reference level which honestly don't sound much different from reference sigma-delta, and there are r2r with tge typical "euphonic" shortcomings that make them pleasant ti listen to.

As to the RU6, I have top level dongles measuring absolutely transparent, check asr review of Tanchjim Space, wonderful results. You know what, when I compare them the I always prefer the RU6 that objectively can't play transparently even 16 bit 44.1 khz Red book material, not to mention "high res".

(There is a tool in the shed that combines the pros of both for me personally and that's the Cayin N7.)
Yanec

Bravo - Nicely said
Agree because in this hobby everyone hears differently and what is so great about this hobby of higher end audio, there is something (dap, dac, etc) for everyone that meets their needs, it just isn't always the same for any 2 individuals.
That doesn't make either party right, or anyone else wrong. What's best for one is what is best for them
Sharing opinions helps everyone, healthy debate is always good. But let's make sure it healthy debates and not open hostility? Just IMO
Thanks for saying your statement!

May 31, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #2,212 of 2,214
Yanec

Bravo - Nicely said
Agree because in this hobby everyone hears differently and what is so great about this hobby of higher end audio, there is something (dap, dac, etc) for everyone that meets their needs, it just isn't always the same for any 2 individuals.
That doesn't make either party right, or anyone else wrong. What's best for one is what is best for them
Sharing opinions helps everyone, healthy debate is always good. But let's make sure it healthy debates and not open hostility? Just IMO
Thanks for saying your statement!
If there are different options, that's wonderful!

I have like 30ish 50mm lenses, 30ish 85-135mm and 30ish DACs plus DAPs. Imagine if there was only one type of sound rendering or of image rendering... that would've been so much worse and so boring... that's why trying to label only one as right or as better is the fastest route to gray boredom and "totalitarian" limitations.

One day I go out with the N7, next with the RU6, then with the HM603, then the DX50, after that with a Sony cassette Walkman, etc.

I love them all but most of all I love the chance to experience this diversity! And Cayin is the most innovative company for various types of portable audio technology implementations and sound signatures. I hope they prosper and continue delivering such fun to us!

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #2,213 of 2,214
Howdy all,

How many of you are using the RU7 as line-out? Apart from the reduced Vrms, is there anything else a prospective buyer should consider?

I don't do the dongle life as much these days -- prefer BT while on the go -- but I could have an use case for a RU7 feeding some desktop amps.

Thanks much!

May 31, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #2,214 of 2,214
Howdy all,

How many of you are using the RU7 as line-out? Apart from the reduced Vrms, is there anything else a prospective buyer should consider?

I don't do the dongle life as much these days -- prefer BT while on the go -- but I could have an use case for a RU7 feeding some desktop amps.

Thanks much!
I use the line out regularly. When I am on the go, I attach a Little Bear B4-X to the line out, and when I’m listening late at night (can’t use my loudspeakers because the kids are sleeping), I attach an xDuoo TA-66 to the line out.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back