Focal Elegia - what do you think?
May 22, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #4,876 of 4,881
BRIGHTER PADS FOR ELEGIA?

From your experience which pads produce the brightest sound? I.e more treble without boomy bass???
The Elegia have a very relaxed treble, so there's not much that will make them sound bright other than EQ. I like the Dekoni Stellia pads, but mostly because they add a bit more mid-bass and level out the treble. No amount of pad rolling will make the Elegia bright, though.

May 23, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #4,877 of 4,881
BRIGHTER PADS FOR ELEGIA?

From your experience which pads produce the brightest sound? I.e more treble without boomy bass???
I can't comment on different pads because I haven't tried them. However I really enjoy the stock pads. I noticed you have the dekoni stellia pads which I've heard adds midbass. I actually enjoy the unique tonality of Elegia with stock pads. I've kind of worn mine out so seeking replacements. Have you tried them with the stock pads or only used the dekonis?

I may have missed it here but has anyone tried the zmf pads with elegia?

May 23, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #4,878 of 4,881
I may have missed it here but has anyone tried the zmf pads with elegia?

I've been meaning to, because the suede ZMF pads I have on my Fostex T60rp transformed the sound of that headphone for the better and improved the comfort by an order of magnitude. The only thing stopping me is how happy I am with the Dekoni sheepskin the Elegia is wearing now.

May 24, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #4,879 of 4,881
ELEGIA "OPEN" MOD (a warm 109Pro?)

The increased clamp force using the Chinese "Audeze type" headband caused an unwanted boominess and veiled presentation.

In my attempt to get my project phones (see above) a bit brighter without resorting to EQ, I bit the bullet and made my an opening in the centre of the cup.

I carefully drilled into the wedge shaped soft plastic. I had to be very careful not to push the bit too far, and finished off the opening with a Dremel. Followed by a good vacuuming. This mod is reversible:

1716575887213.png

• WIN11 > FiiO K7 >Meze "silver" 4.4mm cable > Open Elegias with stock velour pads.
  • Compared to Meze 109Pro with Meze copper 4.4mm cable.
  • Test Track Easy Money by Ricky Lee Jones (Tidal MQA)
  • Hearing profile: older ears, with a dip at 6.5Khz and nothing audible above 12Khz.
Test results:
Isolation - obviously they have lost a lot of the isolation. To be expected.

Bass - a big improvement... the boomy and veiled bass is replaced by a warm bass. The 109s present a tighter more realistic tone on the close miked acoustic bass. I get an image of fingers plucking on the strings.
Winner: Meze.

Mids/Vocals: the open Elegias present a slightly warmer mid range. Ricky's voice is very enjoyable. The 109s are slightly more forward, but present a brighter, actually sibilant tone.
Winner: Elegias.

Treble: The "open" Elegias are warmer. The 109s do a great job of presenting the snare brushes and tambourine cymbals in fine detail. The 109's sibilance is still evident.
Winner: draw. It is a personal preference depending how bright you like your phones.

I feeI can pause on this project for now, as the Elegias are now pleasant to listen to.

I don't think I would have modded my expensive (I paid $1,108 CAD five years ago) Focals, but having to replace the headband opened up my curiosity. A fun project.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #4,881 of 4,881
Hello, I plan to take an elegia with a dx260. But I would like to have opinions regarding the ZMF pads compatible with this audiophile headset because later I plan to buy a ZMF.
I was thinking about a zmf cable but which one would be best in your opinion?

Thank you for your answers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back