Headphones equalizer tools recommendation
May 16, 2024 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Paulo Sergio Nied

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have been fidling around with my RME ADI-2 DAC equalizer to get just the perfect sound fro my Meze 109 Pro and Audeze LCD-X (2021 version).

I am looking for a software that can merge two equalization curves. I would like to merge my LCD-X curve (which was measured particulalrly for my headphones) with the Harman curve (or other cuvers that I might want to try). In other words: I want to be able to input and to merge two equalizer curves and get the resulting curve.

Please notice that I am not talking about a generic LCD-X curve. Audeze provided me the curve for my own particular headphone as it was measured right after manufacturing. It is different from other LCD-X curves I found on the internet and other services (like AutoEQ, Oratory and so on).

Do you guys know software that can do this? Where can I get them?

Thanks

May 22, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #5 of 14
Please notice that I am not talking about a generic LCD-X curve. Audeze provided me the curve for my own particular headphone as it was measured right after manufacturing. It is different from other LCD-X curves I found on the internet and other services (like AutoEQ, Oratory and so on).
The production line testing at Audeze is done with a Neumann KU100 microphone.
While it looks like a head, it is not a head simulator, as this particular microphone does not simulate the acoustic load of the human ear.
When a headphone is being presented with a different load, it will physically behave differently, so one can not simply add a compensation to the result and expect the same results as when measuring with an actual head simulator. This type of setup is fine for a production line test (where you basically only need to verify that every headphone produced performs identical or at least within the specified tolerances), but the results of this test can not be compared to measurement results made on head simulators.

The short version is: The curve you got can not be compared to the Harman Target.
You can send me your headphone if you want, and I can then measure it on a head simulator to compare against the Harman Curve!

May 22, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #6 of 14
The production line testing at Audeze is done with a Neumann KU100 microphone.
While it looks like a head, it is not a head simulator, as this particular microphone does not simulate the acoustic load of the human ear.
When a headphone is being presented with a different load, it will physically behave differently, so one can not simply add a compensation to the result and expect the same results as when measuring with an actual head simulator. This type of setup is fine for a production line test (where you basically only need to verify that every headphone produced performs identical or at least within the specified tolerances), but the results of this test can not be compared to measurement results made on head simulators.

The short version is: The curve you got can not be compared to the Harman Target.
You can send me your headphone if you want, and I can then measure it on a head simulator to compare against the Harman Curve!
Wow, I did not know that. Thank you for you reply.

I would love to send you the headphones, but I live in Brazil. The customs is lunatic down here. When you send the headphones back they will certainly charge 50% of import tax... So that makes things almost impossible, specially considering that here in Brazil these headphones cost about USD 2.000 and they calculate the tax by the brazilian price. So basically they would charge me USD 1.000...

Is there a way to get the LCD-X curve from your website and merge it with my own personalized target? I find the Harman curve very "shouty" (2k/3k).

May 22, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 14
Is there a way to get the LCD-X curve from your website and merge it with my own personalized target? I find the Harman curve very "shouty" (2k/3k).
Did you do the manual finetuning as recommended in the PDF?

Attachments

• Audeze LCD-X (2021 revision).pdf
    427.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Audeze LCD-X (pre 2021).pdf
    426.6 KB · Views: 0
May 22, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #8 of 14
May 22, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 14
May 22, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 14
Did you do the manual finetuning as recommended in the PDF?
Yes I did. By the way, amazing work your are doing by measuring all these headphones.

Actually most of the headphones I own (or had the chance to hear) sound shouty to my ears (LCD-X is one example). Some of them have also the sibilant "s" (109 Pro and Austrian Audio Hi-X65, for instance).

That is why I usually have to reduce the gain on the 1k / 3k to make it less "shouty" and at 7k / 8k to reduce the sibilant "s".

My personal eq curve deviates a lot from Harman's.

May 22, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #12 of 14
Yes I did. By the way, amazing work your are doing by measuring all these headphones.

Actually most of the headphones I own (or had the chance to hear) sound shouty to my ears (LCD-X is one example). Some of them have also the sibilant "s" (109 Pro and Austrian Audio Hi-X65, for instance).

That is why I usually have to reduce the gain on the 1k / 3k to make it less "shouty" and at 7k / 8k to reduce the sibilant "s".

My personal eq curve deviates a lot from Harman's.
By the way, I am using a RME ADI-2 DAC connected to a Monolith Liquid Platinum.

May 29, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #13 of 14
I am not shure this makes any sense, but I used AutoEQ to compare my own LCD-X (measured by Audeze and sent to me by e-mail) to Oratory's.

The graphic came out like this:

1717009551834.jpeg

As far as I could understand, the blue line shows the deviation between my own LCD-X and Oratory's.

Am I reading this right? I think the peak at 2,5k would explain why most of the eq settings online sound "shouty" to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back