Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
May 26, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #6,961 of 6,973
Might we see some pics?

I have been investigating ideal bridges, did you do all voltage rails or only certain ones? Considering the CRC network directly after the bridge rectifiers, did you up the resistance to account for extra volts not wasted by the ideal bridges. Very curious to know your results and methodology!
Over a year I'm running ideal bridge 1-side temporary board in heating circuit because of obvious benefits. In meantime I made final version of ideal bridge to implement across other low voltage rails but still delaying this and thinking of other combined updates.
Some pictures.
Mj2_p2.png

Mj2_top.png

MJ2_IB.png

May 26, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #6,962 of 6,973
Very Cool, Gumisb! Thanks for the response!

I Like the compact size of the ideal bridge. What were the benefits for the heaters?

What did you end up with for coupling caps? What are those caps between the 1000uF elecrtrolytics (amber color)? Are those white MKP caps by the heater regulators in parallel with the 2200uF ones? I'm sorry, just very curious!

May 26, 2024 at 6:28 AM Post #6,963 of 6,973
Input voltage for regulator is up to 16V so additional 1.4V from ideal bridge instead dissipated as heat in diode can be used by regulator and tubes. Less high frequency noise coming from diode switching, less load on transformer. Cooler amp.
All caps are PP film miflex. Some are in Kapton tape so that's why they look amber. Decoupling are 0.1uF for regulators too.

May 29, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #6,965 of 6,973
Matsushita/Mullard 12AT7 NOS pair. Both tested 130/130. About to start listening 😁
Looking forward to hearing your impressions here vs the 6DJ8 tubes. Just be careful with the gain! Happy listening!

May 29, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #6,967 of 6,973
These Matsushita/Mullard 12AT7s are INSANE.
Perfectly nuanced/resolving/balanced sound with accurate timbre.
Bass is impactful and full, no artificial texture through excessive punch like the 6DJ8s
Vocals are very realistic. Full pronunciation of Ts and Ss without any fatigue.
Great tonal balance, mid focused yes but its not obvious because everything else is so clear.
Very speaker like presentation!
Only good things to say! 12AT7 is the way to go with the Mjolnir 2!

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #6,968 of 6,973
Hi All! I also recieved packages from both Tubemonger and Pulse. I needed a second set of 6dJ8>12A*7 adapters for my DAC,it also uses 6DJ8's. The two tube sets are the Brimar CV4024 Black Plates (supposedly a 6060 equivalent) and Tesla E88CC gold pins made in the 70's. Only listened long enough to Ops check them and check for michrophonics. The Teslas are supposedly a copy of the Siemens, have liked some of the 12at7 Tesla's I've rolled, so we'll see.

Glad your Matsushita's are sounding great, Nayyte! Have a great night everyone!

Attachments

• PXL_20240530_035529196.jpg
    PXL_20240530_035529196.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #6,969 of 6,973
These Matsushita/Mullard 12AT7s are INSANE.
Perfectly nuanced/resolving/balanced sound with accurate timbre.
Bass is impactful and full, no artificial texture through excessive punch like the 6DJ8s
Vocals are very realistic. Full pronunciation of Ts and Ss without any fatigue.
Great tonal balance, mid focused yes but its not obvious because everything else is so clear.
Very speaker like presentation!
Only good things to say! 12AT7 is the way to go with the Mjolnir 2!

So have the Matsu-Mullards successfully passed the 15 minute test? :beyersmile:

May 30, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #6,970 of 6,973
Hi All! I also recieved packages from both Tubemonger and Pulse. I needed a second set of 6dJ8>12A*7 adapters for my DAC,it also uses 6DJ8's. The two tube sets are the Brimar CV4024 Black Plates (supposedly a 6060 equivalent) and Tesla E88CC gold pins made in the 70's.

Brimars are cream of the crop when it comes to that sweet mid-range with nice staging and details. Cannot go wrong with these!

May 31, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #6,972 of 6,973
Yes, with these tubes I have a sonic experience that is both new to me and completely captivating. I couldn't be happier with this sound.

I'm glad. I didn't want to say anything to jinx you, but for me, these tubes were always hidden gems/underrated in the grand scheme of the 12AT7 family. I found these to be really superior tubes and tried to hoard acquire these when I could find them. My favorites were the Toshiba branded 6201 Matsushita/Mullards and the Toshiba Hi-S 12AT7 versions. I'm sure these days they are probably in the pricey category though. But yeah, they are pretty incredible in my book.

May 31, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #6,973 of 6,973
I'm glad. I didn't want to say anything to jinx you, but for me, these tubes were always hidden gems/underrated in the grand scheme of the 12AT7 family. I found these to be really superior tubes and tried to hoard acquire these when I could find them. My favorites were the Toshiba branded 6201 Matsushita/Mullards and the Toshiba Hi-S 12AT7 versions. I'm sure these days they are probably in the pricey category though. But yeah, they are pretty incredible in my book.
haha! Yeah these tubes are the first 9-pin set that I've ever really appreciated. Mine look awesome too! Even and bright heater glow, very clean look.

Edit: *second set of tubes, My D3a amp has some nice valvos

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back