SONY NW-ZX700
May 25, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #2,749 of 2,758
Works ok on my phone, but not the Walkman headphone app. It sees them but when I try and connect it goes back o the add device screen.
Try in a location away from other BT devices. Shut off the BT on your phone, and away from any other devices. Sometimes other BT signals can confuse the signal, and/or another device that it was paired with before may pre-empt the connection from the ZX700.
Then:
1. Put the XM5 into pairing mode, and connect from the Headphone App
2. Still fails, reset/wipe the XM5, and try step 1 again.

After the above, I can't think of much else to try.....

May 25, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #2,750 of 2,758
As the owner of 20 different DAPs I'm very impressed by the Zx707 the uncapped version from Japan is plenty powerful enough for all my iems. The sound signature in Direct mode is just intoxicating the battery life is exemplary lasting for many listening sessions putting all my DAPs apart from the NW-M1A to shame. The fact that doesn't even get warm while being used on high gain for 6 hours at a time is just class leading. All in all an instant hit.
20240525_141403~2.jpg

May 30, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #2,753 of 2,758
round 2 on the zx707, bought a japanese model and there is so much headroom now with the high gain. most things I sit at around 80 (compared to almost 120 before) so if I have some quieter classical I can bump it up enough now.

had to change my wifi 5ghz channel because I guess japan doesn't use the higher bands and changing the animation speed improved the navigation. overall it's pretty great. my only outstanding complaint is the flush buttons but I have a case on the way for that little issue.

May 30, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #2,754 of 2,758
round 2 on the zx707, bought a japanese model and there is so much headroom now with the high gain. most things I sit at around 80 (compared to almost 120 before) so if I have some quieter classical I can bump it up enough now.

had to change my wifi 5ghz channel because I guess japan doesn't use the higher bands and changing the animation speed improved the navigation. overall it's pretty great. my only outstanding complaint is the flush buttons but I have a case on the way for that little issue.
I am currently awaiting for 2nd 707 from Japan. First one, the US model runs at 120 mark volume which seems to be 0dB when feeding all three Accuphase amps I own.
Btw, immediately upon removing my 1st 707 from the box I nested it in Benks Flexible Slim PC+TPU Armor Protective Shell which has rised button covers. Feels perfect.

707case1.jpg

May 31, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #2,755 of 2,758
Can this device power full sized headphones efficiënt enough? (japan version). Ranging from 32 to 200 Ohm's. Can somebody explain to me why all sony daps have such a low(er) output compared to other daps and is this a problem?

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #2,756 of 2,758
Can this device power full sized headphones efficiënt enough? (japan version). Ranging from 32 to 200 Ohm's. Can somebody explain to me why all sony daps have such a low output, and is this a problem?
It drives the MDR-Z1R and ATH-AWAS fine, though that will depend on how loudly you want to listen. I've also listened to the Sundara without issue.

Sony DAPs have less power due to their digital amp tech (effectively a digital input Class D amp). It's more power efficient than the separate DAC + analog amp that most DAPs use, but making it high power is more difficult.

May 31, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #2,757 of 2,758
Can this device power full sized headphones efficiënt enough? (japan version). Ranging from 32 to 200 Ohm's. Can somebody explain to me why all sony daps have such a low(er) output compared to other daps and is this a problem?
Focal Elegia, 35 Ohm and 707 Japanese version. Everything is fine. I'm at 60-70 max.

May 31, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #2,758 of 2,758
Besides the headphones impedance, there is also sensitivty (in dB) so unless you specify both parameters it's hard to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back