Look! MOONDROP's First HiFi Smartphone, MIAD01
Jun 1, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #230 of 233
After another day using the Moondrop MIAD01 as a daily driver, a few new insights.

The image Quality is okayish. It is not good, but it gets the job done. Here are some sample shots i took today.

https://ignaz.org/nextcloud/index.php/apps/photos/public/ws5Pp5G8VwpIzFroxiLPDFpmNmwJgznc

It is below average. I took one photo in RAW and you instantly see, that everything is insanely blurry. It looks like always out of focus. Either it is, or the image quality is that bad. I t gets the Job done, but its really not good. But not a real complain as Moondrop openly says that.

GPS works okay too. Very rare i have some issues, especially between sky scrapers, but most of the time it is pretty accurate and pinpoints me right.

The display is a bit too large for my personal taste and i dont get the curved edges. They are completely useless and i rather have an flat display. But its okay. It works and the colors are totally fine.

When you're actually using the phone outside like walking, on trains and so on, it is no issue that there is no low gain. In a very few situations i wished i could go below 1/100 but very rare. Most of the time, it contributes to the usability that you can quickly change the volume rather than accurately. So in the real world usage, the High Gain is rather an advantage. I still hope Low Gain will be added in an update though because, at home, its way to loud.

The sound quality is, as said, the best i ever heard in a smartphone, but nowhere near to a dap. Especially distortion, especially on the 3.5mm, is way too high.

I tried the Final E5000 with the 3.5mm and already at 50/100 you have audible distortion. You are forced to use 4.4mm but even there, the distortion kicks in around the same area. Because 4.4mm has more power, you will rarely go beyond 50/100 with an IEM, but the distortion is way to high.

Everything beyond 80/100 is absolutely unusable and pure garbage. 0 Sound quality.

The advertise "Pure Native Android experience" is just a marketing claim. As someone who used AOSP, it is clunkier, it has quite a lot of bloatware (AOSP comes with 4 or 5 apps and you can uninstall all of them. The MIAD01 comes with like 20 Apps and 3/4 you can't uninstall. Didn't exactly count but something like that). You can't replace the launcher, you have a lot of settings that are unrelated to AOSP, a lot of them are annoying and unnecessary.

So this phone does, by no means, deliver an experience that is even close to AOSP. It doesn't have the Google Services preinstalled, thats pretty much it.

1717254761289.png

This is basically just a big fat marketing lie.

The default launcher can't be replaced (I tried 5 or 6 alternative launchers, they all have major issues. The developers of KISS know that issue, they can nothing do about it. Its the ROM thats broken), crashes often, forgets its config and so on. Its a pain to use and very user unfriendly. There is no real sorting feature, to open the search you have to open the drawer and so on, can't configure gestures.

KISS almost works. It needs less battery, is faster, has more features, is more stable and reliable but... if you use kiss, the App Overview (the Square Button on the bottom right) no longer works. Thanks to modifications to the Android. Yeah... Pure Native Android System my A**

When you activate the Google Services, half of the apps still don't work. They either crash and complain, you don't have Google Services or they behave very strangely (Don't display maps/know your location and so refuse to work. Especially things like delivery apps and stuff like that). Google Wallet also doesn't work. Why does this Phone have NFC? It has neither Felica nor Wallet support. What should i do with the NFC? Its almost an useless addition to the phone.

At least my german banking apps all work and i can even use touch payment with them (They don't trust Google so does apps work without anything Google related). My Japanese banking app for touchless payment needs Google Wallet and so... yeah... doesn't work.

So it has a lot of disadvantages of AOSP (you have a lots of trouble with Google Services) but non of the advantages (A clean, stable, reliable and bloatware free Android). It

Just give me a clean AOSP from the start Moondrop. Whats this half this half that?

So... what is my experience after using this Phone for roughly 3 days as a daily driver. In the end, still surprisingly positive. As someone who is used to work with AOSP, i know my workarounds and what to do to get my stuff done.

And if you have this knowledge, it is actually pretty cool. Yes. the 4.4mm and 3.5mm both have their limitations and are by no means comparable to an DAP or even an DAC Dongle like the Dawn Pro, but they are better than anything else you get in any smartphone. And just the fact of having an 4.4mm on your Phone is very cool. It is so convinient and a lot of fun to use. Listening to music outside of the house with this thing actually makes fun.

But i would never ever recommend this Phone to someone who does not have this knowledge and just wants an average Android Smartphone with good sound. And if you have the knowledge and the experience to handle an (almost) AOSP System, you are disappointed about the restrictions.

My current rating (Compared to other Smartphones and only Smartphones from the current(!) era)
Image Quality: 1/5 (The only thing worse would be using your imagination)
Sound Quality on the go: 5/5
AOSP Experience: 2/5 (This is not AOSP)
Android Experience 2/5 (This is not your average Android)
Bloatware: 3/5
GPS: 4/5
Display: 4/5
Speaker: 4/5
Microphone Quality: 4/5

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Jun 1, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #231 of 233
After another day using the Moondrop MIAD01 as a daily driver, a few new insights.

The image Quality is okayish. It is not good, but it gets the job done. Here are some sample shots i took today.

https://ignaz.org/nextcloud/index.php/apps/photos/public/ws5Pp5G8VwpIzFroxiLPDFpmNmwJgznc

It is below average. I took one photo in RAW and you instantly see, that everything is insanely blurry. It looks like always out of focus. Either it is, or the image quality is that bad. I t gets the Job done, but its really not good. But not a real complain as Moondrop openly says that.

GPS works okay too. Very rare i have some issues, especially between sky scrapers, but most of the time it is pretty accurate and pinpoints me right.

The display is a bit too large for my personal taste and i dont get the curved edges. They are completely useless and i rather have an flat display. But its okay. It works and the colors are totally fine.

When you're actually using the phone outside like walking, on trains and so on, it is no issue that there is no low gain. In a very few situations i wished i could go below 1/100 but very rare. Most of the time, it contributes to the usability that you can quickly change the volume rather than accurately. So in the real world usage, the High Gain is rather an advantage. I still hope Low Gain will be added in an update though because, at home, its way to loud.

The sound quality is, as said, the best i ever heard in a smartphone, but nowhere near to a dap. Especially distortion, especially on the 3.5mm, is way too high.

I tried the Final E5000 with the 3.5mm and already at 50/100 you have audible distortion. You are forced to use 4.4mm but even there, the distortion kicks in around the same area. Because 4.4mm has more power, you will rarely go beyond 50/100 with an IEM, but the distortion is way to high.

Everything beyond 80/100 is absolutely unusable and pure garbage. 0 Sound quality.

The advertise "Pure Native Android experience" is just a marketing claim. As someone who used AOSP, it is clunkier, it has quite a lot of bloatware (AOSP comes with 4 or 5 apps and you can uninstall all of them. The MIAD01 comes with like 20 Apps and 3/4 you can't uninstall. Didn't exactly count but something like that). You can't replace the launcher, you have a lot of settings that are unrelated to AOSP, a lot of them are annoying and unnecessary.

So this phone does, by no means, deliver an experience that is even close to AOSP. It doesn't have the Google Services preinstalled, thats pretty much it.

1717254761289.png

This is basically just a big fat marketing lie.

The default launcher can't be replaced (I tried 5 or 6 alternative launchers, they all have major issues. The developers of KISS know that issue, they can nothing do about it. Its the ROM thats broken), crashes often, forgets its config and so on. Its a pain to use and very user unfriendly. There is no real sorting feature, to open the search you have to open the drawer and so on, can't configure gestures.

KISS almost works. It needs less battery, is faster, has more features, is more stable and reliable but... if you use kiss, the App Overview (the Square Button on the bottom right) no longer works. Thanks to modifications to the Android. Yeah... Pure Native Android System my A**

When you activate the Google Services, half of the apps still don't work. They either crash and complain, you don't have Google Services or they behave very strangely (Don't display maps/know your location and so refuse to work. Especially things like delivery apps and stuff like that). Google Wallet also doesn't work. Why does this Phone have NFC? It has neither Felica nor Wallet support. What should i do with the NFC? Its almost an useless addition to the phone.

At least my german banking apps all work and i can even use touch payment with them (They don't trust Google so does apps work without anything Google related). My Japanese banking app for touchless payment needs Google Wallet and so... yeah... doesn't work.

So it has a lot of disadvantages of AOSP (you have a lots of trouble with Google Services) but non of the advantages (A clean, stable, reliable and bloatware free Android). It

Just give me a clean AOSP from the start Moondrop. Whats this half this half that?

So... what is my experience after using this Phone for roughly 3 days as a daily driver. In the end, still surprisingly positive. As someone who is used to work with AOSP, i know my workarounds and what to do to get my stuff done.

And if you have this knowledge, it is actually pretty cool. Yes. the 4.4mm and 3.5mm both have their limitations and are by no means comparable to an DAP or even an DAC Dongle like the Dawn Pro, but they are better than anything else you get in any smartphone. And just the fact of having an 4.4mm on your Phone is very cool. It is so convinient and a lot of fun to use. Listening to music outside of the house with this thing actually makes fun.

But i would never ever recommend this Phone to someone who does not have this knowledge and just wants an average Android Smartphone with good sound. And if you have the knowledge and the experience to handle an (almost) AOSP System, you are disappointed about the restrictions.

My current rating (Compared to other Smartphones and only Smartphones from the current(!) era)
Image Quality: 1/5 (The only thing worse would be using your imagination)
Sound Quality on the go: 5/5
AOSP Experience: 2/5 (This is not AOSP)
Android Experience 2/5 (This is not your average Android)
Bloatware: 3/5
GPS: 4/5
Display: 4/5
Speaker: 4/5
Microphone Quality: 4/5

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Great insights from real world experience!

My takeaway is that the Moondrop MIAD01is a good phone and good DAP combo, but neither a great phone nor a great DAP, and that’s a problem for me: I’m not ready to compromise anything in the phone side, not even the camera…

So for now, I still prefer the option of an Android (or not) DAP, tethered to my phone when needed, but with the HP/IEM cables routed to the DAP, not the phone…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back