Technical Reasons Why DAP Hardware is Better than a Smartphone
May 18, 2024 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sauerteig

Head-Fier
I am not sure if this belongs here or in the help/introductions thread.

I am involved in an exchange in why I assert (correctly) that my DAP sounds better a smartphone (android to be specific). Somewhat incredibly, the person quipped in response "And you will never convince me without explaining why it sounds better." He stated my position is "funny" in that "Astell Kern uses Android," so by that logic "it sounds infinitely better than itself?"

This comment strikes me as utterly preposterous. I have a rudimentary understanding of why and how this is so, but beyond just stating a difference in the hardware microchips and processors, I have difficulty articulating the reasons why. I am not a sound expert, do not work in any related professions. I just like music and can hear the (pretty obvious) difference with quality headphones and minimum 320 kbps files.

May 19, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #3 of 7
Without recommending you get into a discussion with this individual that would likely lead to no where, it is important to understand what this guy is trying to assert. Is it because both use Android and therefore it is the same? Not sure what they are trying to state here. This is also putting aside whether the person you are speaking to believes in any sonic differences caused by source which in case that they do not believe in that, this conversation is a bit of a moot point.

In any case, DAPs (both Android or otherwise) have discrete and specific hardware and software considerations for music. First and foremost, there are a wealth of DAC chips out there and even R2R DACs that have been implemented to varying effects in DAPs. A smartphone, whilst some have gotten some props for their DACs (LGs of yesteryear), this is not exactly a consideration at the top of any smartphone manufacturer's mind at present.

Amplifiers get big for a reason and when compacted into a smaller form factor such as your smartphone, one can simply infer there is less going on with the hardware considerations that a dedicated amplifier requires. DAPs are larger, and more specific to the reproduction of audio and some boast some very impressive power specifications such as an entire watt output through 32 ohms.

DAPs will also usually come with the litany of outputs such as 2.5, 3.5 and 4.4mm jacks versus smartphones of modern make which lack any headphone jack at all.

Software considerations to take on board is that Android (prior to whatever the latest version is) resampled all audio output to a certain figure. DAPs using Android likely have some form of bypass in this respect to output whatever you're listening to (i.e. MQA, DSD, 192Khz) vs resampling this and potentially causing some form of compression or loss of information in this aspect. DAPs that don't use Android usually use some form of slimmed down proprietary software (see L&P) which in most cases, results in a less demanding SoC. I am no electrical engineer but I am willing to bet that a Snapdragon 660 vs a new Snapdragon Gen 3 vs whatever calculator chip L&P uses all have varying power requirements and likely generate varying levels of electrical noise.

Anecdotally speaking, I had the pleasure of using a Symphonium Crimson, which is known as a harder to drive IEM. Plugged into the humble Apple Dongle, volume got to a sufficient level but otherwise it sounded flat and lacking any dynamics. With a dedicated DAP, sound improved considerably which I attribute to a dedicated amplifier to send a requisite amount of current to the transducer. This in conjunction with whatever 0s and 1s the DAC is crunching on the DAP whilst likely not measuring as well as the Dongle is likely more pleasing to my ear.

I am of the opinion that whoever you're speaking to just doesn't believe in the impact of source on end sound.

TL;DR: there is no point in continuing this conversation with this person

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #4 of 7
for one, the amp section alone will make a big difference. that's why DAP will always sound better than smartphone. also the same comparison with desktops, it will sound better than dap too for the same reason. although lately daps has been closer and closer to dekstop performance experience.

i would say the same with above poster. no point in arguing/debating with the person mentioned. audio hobby is subjective and objective at the same time, there is no winning to the subjectivists which believe what they believe. sorry to say but those people to me are same as flat earthers. lol.

May 20, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 7
As the saying goes, never wrestle with a pig in the mud. Operating software has nothing to do with it. It's the hardware. Dedicated audio specific DAC and AMP chips/circuits, along with hardwire output.

May 21, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 7
Hey everyone, it's happening again. The nah is a supposed rebuttal to the assertion that therecare hardware differences between a dap and a smartphone

Nah. The DAC and amp are inside the wireless headphones, the source device doesn't matter when the codec is same, also the Bluetooth version, but that's mostly just connection stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back