The discovery thread!
Jun 1, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #104,101 of 104,115
howdy folks,

My review of AFUL Explorer is online on head-fi and my blog.

Conclusions​

Explorer_00012.jpg

The AFUL Explorer offers a rare “L-shaped” sound signature characterized by pronounced bass, neutral-warm midrange, and extended treble. Its bass performance excels in weight, transient response, and texture, providing a powerful impact while maintaining detailed rumble. Although the upper midrange feels slightly subdued, AFUL has crafted a pleasant and natural tonality that complements a wide range of music styles. The soundstage, though somewhat confined, exhibits depth and layering, compensating for its compressed nature. Overall, Explorer is another compelling entry and the first basshead in AFUL’s line up.

What I like about this IEM:

• BASS
  • Stereo imaging, particularly depth and layering
  • Well implemented L-shaped sound signature
  • Fit and comfort
  • Price
What could be improved:

• The stock cable has too aggressive ear hooks
  • A few dB extra around 3-5kHz could improve the articulation and dynamic
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 3.5/5 - Very Good

Bias Score: 4/5 - I like this IEM

Explorer_summary.jpg

Updated: June 1, 2024

Edit: Hifigo asked me to share that there are discounts across the entire AFUL line (except the Explorer)

1717299737989.png

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 11:39 PM Post #104,102 of 104,115
don't forget the cotton mod. After I did that, it improved that screechfest by 100 fold!
I remember this lol, going to give that a try. First I need to let my ears bathe in the Merga and take it all in straight from my PC with no help from my gear. I'm hoping and suspect my tube amps will help a lot with this one. I may also give it a go with those Final Type E eartips with the red plugs inserted.
Was eyeballin that one too. Looking forward to seeing your impressions of the Hype 4.
I've been dying (not because of the Merga that i just put into my ears 🤮 ) to compare the Hype 4 to quite a few of my sets to bring closure of how they compare, such as the TSMR-X. I'll definitely post some impressions soon as they arrive.

Jun 1, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #104,103 of 104,115
howdy folks,

My review of AFUL Explorer is online on head-fi and my blog.

Conclusions​

Explorer_00012.jpg

The AFUL Explorer offers a rare “L-shaped” sound signature characterized by pronounced bass, neutral-warm midrange, and extended treble. Its bass performance excels in weight, transient response, and texture, providing a powerful impact while maintaining detailed rumble. Although the upper midrange feels slightly subdued, AFUL has crafted a pleasant and natural tonality that complements a wide range of music styles. The soundstage, though somewhat confined, exhibits depth and layering, compensating for its compressed nature. Overall, Explorer is another compelling entry and the first basshead in AFUL’s line up.

What I like about this IEM:

• BASS
  • Stereo imaging, particularly depth and layering
  • Well implemented L-shaped sound signature
  • Fit and comfort
  • Price
What could be improved:

• The stock cable has too aggressive ear hooks
  • A few dB extra around 3-5kHz could improve the articulation and dynamic
Absolute Sonic Quality Rating: 3.5/5 - Very Good

Bias Score: 4/5 - I like this IEM

Explorer_summary.jpg

Updated: June 1, 2024

Edit: Hifigo asked me to share that there are discounts across the entire AFUL line (except the Explorer)

Great. Thanks.

Btw will you be getting project m for review (loaner tour etc)? Its treble-rich highs thought might be right up your alley.

And on Explorer you never experienced " Breathy and dry timbre " ?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #104,104 of 104,115
Jun 2, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #104,105 of 104,115
I remember this lol, going to give that a try. First I need to let my ears bathe in the Merga and take it all in straight from my PC with no help from my gear. I'm hoping and suspect my tube amps will help a lot with this one. I may also give it a go with those Final Type E eartips with the red plugs inserted.

I've been dying (not because of the Merga that i just put into my ears 🤮 ) to compare the Hype 4 to quite a few of my sets to bring closure of how they compare, such as the TSMR-X. I'll definitely post some impressions soon as they arrive.
Sounds like you got Merga'd. Sorry. LOL

Jun 2, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #104,106 of 104,115
This was the only thing I ordered. It was on sale on Choice day, normally sold for "$70.00", on choice day with coupons for $18.99. My first Palladium-Graphene interconnect. I have one silver/gold/copper interconnect, and two copper interconnects including my chonky Cardas. Oh and the pure silver one I got from Fiio years ago.

Attachments

• PalladiumGrapheneinterconnect.png
    PalladiumGrapheneinterconnect.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 0
Jun 2, 2024 at 2:16 AM Post #104,107 of 104,115
Jun 2, 2024 at 2:38 AM Post #104,108 of 104,115
Here's a review of the Simgot SuperMix4: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-supermix-4-1dd-1ba-1-planar-1-pzt.27255/reviews#review-34102

Supermix 9.jpg

Pros:
Comfortable to wear
Above average isolation
Balanced U-shaped profile, quite all-rounder for most music genres
Good technical chops, with imaging, layering and soundstage a highlight
Decent timbre and coherency despite packing a multitude of different driver types
Smooth treble
Transparent midrange
Speedy bass without bleed, good amount of sub-bass rumble

Cons:
Dearth of accessories
Very low impedance; this IEM may be fussy to pair source-wise (for sources with high output impedance)
Upper mids may be borderline shouty (more apparent at louder volumes)
Mid-bass could do with better texturing

Simgot SuperMix 4.jpg

8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.

Jun 2, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #104,109 of 104,115
Ahh, no, your 100% wrong here. The OCC849 sounds nothing like a pure copper cable build like the Hans Sound Zen or Hans Sound ZENTOO, that is because it is absolutely not pure copper as you discribe?

If you scroll over to the Penon site the OCC849 is a silver plated copper. Yep, there is a total difference here with the OCC849 in reality showing that silver additive and becoming on the brighter side of life, brighter than the ISN CS02, brighter than the Renata , and brighter than the last OCC cable ISN released (before) the ISN T-OCC.

Thus it is brighter than a full copper build because it is silver plated copper pure and simple here.

Penon description:

Penon OCC849 Single Crystal Copper HiFi Audiophile IEMs Cable

Type-4 Litz configuration

Description

6n single crystal copper silver-plated cable

8 strands, single strand is 49 cores, a total of 8 × 49.

The plug contains 68% copper

The solder joints is silver – contained tin

Carbon fiber metal splitter and CNC integrated slider

Cable length: 1.2M

I'm simply posting this so readers will get the correct idea as to the OCC849, it's a great cable and much more energetic and forward than the way pure copper sounds most of the time.

Your post here? Nope.
Screen Shot 2024-06-02 at 8.05.24 AM.png

You’re right. My bad for not reading the fine print all the way. Thank you for pointing it out; I’ve amended the post now.

I’ve not heard the Hansound Zentoo and it must have been years since I heard the Zen but yes, I recall it being a typically warm, mid focused copper sound, which the OCC849 isn’t so much of. The OCC849 is more airy and doesn’t quite have the dynamic heft and energy of say the Asos, which I consider more typically SPC.

Jun 2, 2024 at 3:03 AM Post #104,110 of 104,115
You’re right. My bad for not reading the fine print all the way. Thank you for pointing it out; I’ve amended the post now.

I’ve not heard the Hansound Zentoo and it must have been years since I heard the Zen but yes, I recall it being a typically warm, mid focused copper sound, which the OCC849 isn’t so much of. The OCC849 is more airy and doesn’t quite have the dynamic heft and energy of say the Asos, which I consider more typically SPC.
What was a wild coincidence was yesterday I was listening to the Zen and the OCC849 back to back answering another members question. He was looking for a cable solution to the Shozy B2. Now maybe I was keying in on one being 4 wire pure copper and the other (OCC849) silver plated, because psychologically can play games like that, having you think to hear what you expect to hear. But I don’t think so, the Han Sound is sleepier. Cheers!

Jun 2, 2024 at 3:54 AM Post #104,111 of 104,115
The KZ PRO 2 was interpreted by both of us ( 4ceratops and I ) identically, as you have pointed out, everyone knows they can shop price. Cheers!
I probably shouldn't get involved but what I believe @4ceratops is trying to convey that keeping with the Pizza analogy. Supermarket A let's you taste this pizza for free so you find out you like it but supermarket A's price is expensive. When you tell your friends about this awesome pizza will you tell them to buy it at Supermarket A because they gave you a free tasting? Or will you tell them to go to supermarket B because the same pizza is 20% more cheap there?
For the KZ IEM's the link you attach goes to Linsoul site instead of a cheaper place like Aliexpress. Now we all have our preferences I know that but I believe that is the point he is trying to convey. If I am wrong I would love to hear it. Otherwise from my side no attack on any of you. I think most people do their price comparisons for themselves.

Jun 2, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #104,112 of 104,115
Here's a review of the Simgot SuperMix4: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/simgot-supermix-4-1dd-1ba-1-planar-1-pzt.27255/reviews#review-34102

Supermix 9.jpg

Pros:
Comfortable to wear
Above average isolation
Balanced U-shaped profile, quite all-rounder for most music genres
Good technical chops, with imaging, layering and soundstage a highlight
Decent timbre and coherency despite packing a multitude of different driver types
Smooth treble
Transparent midrange
Speedy bass without bleed, good amount of sub-bass rumble

Cons:
Dearth of accessories
Very low impedance; this IEM may be fussy to pair source-wise (for sources with high output impedance)
Upper mids may be borderline shouty (more apparent at louder volumes)
Mid-bass could do with better texturing

Simgot SuperMix 4.jpg
8 kHz is a coupler artefact peak.
This thing was kinda hyped to the moon and back. Am I right when I say it seems like it's just yet another "yeah it's pretty good" entrant to the ~$150 hybrid market?

Jun 2, 2024 at 5:09 AM Post #104,113 of 104,115
On the first day of June in the calendar year of 2024, what seemed to be UNpossible was made possible! Why has no one made note of this yet??

Moose has finally spoilerized his hoard of gear.

My scrolling finger thanks you @Redcarmoose and a shoutout to @nikbr for being the one to convince him!

1717261284207.png
Wow, I'm adding this achievement right into my CV! It better manifest in a higher-paying job too, because I would love to try the DaVinci, EM10, Explorer, Supermix4, etc., etc. and three dots ...

Thank you to @Redcarmoose, I sincerely hope it wasn't too big of an ask.

Man my love from CanJam is finally here, Nostalgia Audio Camelot and its upgrade cables have landed today. Since today morning, I have been listening to these and just teary-eyed for lovely vocals and great musicality. Will share some detailed impressions later on after spending some serious time with the set. Some eye-candy for my friends here.

camelot.jpg
camelot 2.jpg
lancelot.jpg
Oh. My. Goodness. And this is your personal set if I read this correctly? Huge congrats, if so! I trust @Scubadevils ears a whole lot and I bet these do so much right.

I have come to the sombre realization, that there is only PAUSE GAME.

END GAME is a myth.
LOVE it! PAUSE GAME haha! If only it weren't so addicting to where I press the PLAY GAME button way too soon thereafter ...

New pokemon day today, my KZ Merga finally arrived. Holy cow, this thing has a really funky smell to it after pulling it out of the packaging. Hopefully it sounds better than it smells? lol.

merga.jpg
Hahaha never heard an IEM described as smelly before, gah dang it, KZ!

Jun 2, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #104,114 of 104,115
i just bought something stupid.

an old ass yet somehow pretty pristine second hand TFZ Exclusive King
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/tf...e-version-hifi-in-ear-earphones.22359/reviews

well for $14. the og price was around $99-ish? like 7 years ago
it doesn't have the cable and pouch but well $14...
with $14, i kinda wanna see how good one of the earliest TFZ King fares today.

too bad i no longer have my EDX Pro.
i'll see how it fares against eda-bal and trio.
well, the seller said no imbalance, lets hope its sound normal first.

Jun 2, 2024 at 5:31 AM Post #104,115 of 104,115
I didn't read the shilling

Genuinely curious now. Since you didn’t read the post by your own admission (fair, the thread moves so fast I don’t always get to read everything either), what part of it did you consider shilling?

Is it the presence of a link? I used not to post links or at least hide them under a spoiler tag or in a hyperlink, but people would ask for them anyway and I don’t spend as much time on HF these days as to be able to respond promptly.

Or is it the discussion of products from a certain brand, never mind that the impressions come from a paying customer who has never received any free products for review and who doesn’t stand to benefit if anyone else buys it?

but what they probably didn't tell you is that you can ask for earhooks on Penon cables as is my preference

I could, but I feel like I’ve mentioned this so many times here and in various threads over the years it would feel like shilling if I mentioned it again out of nowhere.

My preference is for no earhooks and yes, they have accommodated this request in the past.

or...go and buy the cable directly from the wholesaler for less on AliExpress. I posted that a few times and my post dissappear on HeadFi for some mysterious reason.

Yes they are exactly the same as ISN or Penon cables , you can ever ask for the branded terminations.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mq6Ux8S

If they are indeed simply rebranded OEMs, I’d be down for a cheaper source.

I know I’ve seen links to cables like these here before (no idea if they disappeared after that) but my beef with them is when I clicked on the listings, they were always very close in price to the branded version (like only a few dollars less) which kind of defeats the purpose of taking the risk on an unknown seller.

Their cables on the other hand need some serious QC, at least in my experience. I've had I think 6 total go bad on me in the recent past, and when you have to send them back for repair, they make you pay for the international shipping which is not cheap. It eats a serious percentage of the remaining value of the repaired cable you get back, and almost makes it not worth it to even bother. The fact that they are so adamant about not covering 100% of the shipping, for their OWN DEFECTIVE PRODUCT, infuriates me.

I’ve bought stuff from them for several years now and I agree that their QC seems to have gotten a bit sketchier the past year or so. In every instance so far however, they’ve been able to replace or repair the item at no cost to me. If they’re unable to do so on account of shipping costs to certain parts of the world, then perhaps they should consider some other means of making it right, like a refund or waiving the requirement to send the defective product back, depending on circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back