ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Jun 1, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #7,486 of 7,498
I respectfully but strongly disagree here.
oh man, I just read the first Diana DZ review on here and he also used Utopia to compare...
I was surprised by the comment that Utopia has "better" bass then CO because I always come back to it as my possible next purchase.

And coming from Final D8kp and SolP bass I kinda struggle to commit even to CO which seems to be the only contender from all these new HPs coming out over the last few months...
might have to do a home demo at this point

Jun 1, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #7,487 of 7,498
oh man, I just read the first Diana DZ review on here and he also used Utopia to compare...
I was surprised by the comment that Utopia has "better" bass then CO because I always come back to it as my possible next purchase.

And coming from Final D8kp and SolP bass I kinda struggle to commit even to CO which seems to be the only contender from all these new HPs coming out over the last few months...
might have to do a home demo at this point

I’ve always thought the Diana TC with bass ported pads had the best bass I’ve heard. Supremely textured with good slam.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #7,488 of 7,498
I’ve always thought the Diana TC with bass ported pads had the best bass I’ve heard. Supremely textured with good slam.
I absolutely agree. My tc initially had the leather bass ported pads which made it sound more dynamic but once i swapped over to the suede ported pads the bass went to another level and i still think diana tc with my holo bliss amp is pure magic.

Jun 1, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #7,489 of 7,498
What headphones do you use when listening to lower quality(older) recordings? I could really use an alternative to the Caldera when less detail is better.

Jun 1, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #7,490 of 7,498
What headphones do you use when listening to lower quality(older) recordings? I could really use an alternative to the Caldera when less detail is better.
IEMs. In all seriousness, when I don't want to be bothered by recording/production/mastering quality, earbuds are the way to go. Everything sounds "pretty good" on my TWS.

For headphones, maybe HD600?

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #7,491 of 7,498
The suede pads are more forgiving on the Caldera, so might want to give those a try. I ended back at stock, like I always do. Suede can sound a little dull in comparison to stock over time.

Jun 1, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #7,492 of 7,498
Strange is I found the Utopia with Hugo 2 to be a bad paring. Too analytical and not enough bass. The Dave improved everything. And the Naim HE was much better with bass and weight on the Utopia as well. I still use the Naim HE with the Caldera.

What the Utopia does better is the tightness and snap of the bass. The whole frequency spectrum has a very tight sound on the Utopia. I loved that about them. The Caldera is a little more relaxed, so can listen with no fatigue. The Utopia could be a little much when trying to relax at night.
I like the pairing a lot with the green filter. But can only listen without fatigue for like three hours which is a usual listening session to me. Utopias detail retrieval with this pairing is insane.

Jun 1, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #7,493 of 7,498
I like the pairing a lot with the green filter. But can only listen without fatigue for like three hours which is a usual listening session to me. Utopias detail retrieval with this pairing is insane.
Wasn’t sure how the Hugo 2 would work with Caldera but guess it might be underpowered? Only used the first 2 filters with the Utopia since I felt that was the point of owning the Hugo 2 over the Mojo. But yes, the detail with the Utopia was insane but it wasn’t musical. It lacked weight and texture. Even liked the original Hugo better with the Utopia except for its very small soundstage.

Somehow on the Dave, it still had all that detail, especially with the mscaler, but now was balanced and enjoyable. I have since gotten rid of the Dave setup since I felt I spent too much on equipment and the Naim HE paired great with the Utopia. I did try the Caldera on the Dave at CanJan and was underwhelmed. Slightly too thin sounding. Perhaps adding a headphone app would be an amazing pairing.

I still think the Naim HE plays well with the Caldera but wanting to do a deeper dive this year and see if can find something to get more out of the Caldera while not taking up a whole lot of space or overcomplicating things. In the end, may still not walk away with anything new.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #7,494 of 7,498
Ended up grabbing a pair of Red Mallee AC on US Audio Mart and Sky over at MusicTeck tricked me (jk hahaha) into buying the he1000se so I’ll get to try a couple different different flavors alongside the Calderas. Exciting week of listening coming up!

Jun 1, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #7,495 of 7,498
Ended up grabbing a pair of Red Mallee AC on US Audio Mart and Sky over at MusicTeck tricked me (jk hahaha) into buying the he1000se so I’ll get to try a couple different different flavors alongside the Calderas. Exciting week of listening coming up!
I thought you might have been the buyer of those Red Mallee ACs on USAM! Saw those and was sorely tempted.

Congratulations!

Jun 2, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #7,496 of 7,498
I thought you might have been the buyer of those Red Mallee ACs on USAM! Saw those and was sorely tempted.

Congratulations!

Thanks. If I decide they’re not for me, I’ll hit you up.

Jun 2, 2024 at 3:30 AM Post #7,497 of 7,498
oh man...
considering Abyss guys said DC is their "best" Diana yet and what you mentioned concerning pads I'll most likely have to audition CO AND DC now...

the hp has "just" to do justice to the quality (quantity is part of it imo) of bass/what's in the music... bass is the foundation that's built upon.

as a "brand agnostic" listener I hope fair and neutral CO vs DC impressions pop up soon.

Jun 2, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #7,498 of 7,498
I have found the Atrium (open, with the solid mesh and a touch of eq) to be very forgiving with lower quality recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back