AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 31, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #752 of 756

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240531-135445_(1).png
    Screenshot_20240531-135445_(1).png
    753.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 1, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #754 of 756
That’s a very significant and smart question. Many headphones have different squiggles depending on the SPL at 1kHz. And… I don’t know. Edit: I feel like Jude and Listener probably published their SPL somewhere, I just don’t know 🤷‍♂️

The OAE1 is easy to drive, so yes it will be sufficient. However, I find amps have different flavors, and the Rode may sound different than another device with an integrated Amp or a discrete amp. I prefer using my Monoprice Liquid Spark over just straight into the $9 Apple dongle, for example, even though the $9 Apple Dongle has plenty of power output (and it’s fine if that’s all you have).
So I stumbled across 2 headphone DAC/AMPs.
The Chord Mojo and the IFI Gryphon. Besides the "I like to listen to what was more expensive", and a personal preference, that can be realized by EQ'ing, would any of those give me a more neutral sound on the Grells compared to the AI-1, that I can EQ then to my tastte? Is there any objective answer to that?

Jun 1, 2024 at 11:43 PM Post #755 of 756
So I stumbled across 2 headphone DAC/AMPs.
The Chord Mojo and the IFI Gryphon. Besides the "I like to listen to what was more expensive", and a personal preference, that can be realized by EQ'ing, would any of those give me a more neutral sound on the Grells compared to the AI-1, that I can EQ then to my tastte? Is there any objective answer to that?
Not really I would say. It is entirely subjective if you can hear an actual difference or if you can imagine hearing a difference or not and how convinced you'll be of that difference. Nobody else can make this experience for you. There is always a chance, but I would probably follow the rule to spend the most money on the transducer in the chain, because it matters the most.

Jun 2, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #756 of 756
In theory, perfect DACs and amps won't change the sound except make it louder. Amps may change the sound if they have a significantly high output impedance, but that would hurt the sound and isn't ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back