DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
May 30, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #2,506 of 2,520
I personally use them with the Divinus Velvet and they fit quite nicely. The candy are a pain to apply on the set, but divinus gets connected instantly. And pairs well imo. Here's my setup from today morning.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-30 at 11.15.46.jpeg
Yours look beautiful, I do enjoy comparing the designs with other owners šŸ˜… here are mine with azlas on..

I do enjoy them with the S&S tips, I'll need to give the velvets a go.

Attachments

• 20240530_200126.jpg
    20240530_200126.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
May 30, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #2,507 of 2,520
Yours look beautiful, I do enjoy comparing the designs with other owners šŸ˜… here are mine with azlas on..

I do enjoy them with the S&S tips, I'll need to give the velvets a go.
Man don't get me started on the design part today. I looked at an image today somewhere that had those dark brown ones, now I want one more :sob::sob:

May 30, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #2,508 of 2,520
To Da Vinci users, how do they sound with electronic, soundtracks and atmospheric music (Hans Zimmer, Biosphere, Craig Padilla, etc)

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #2,509 of 2,520
Is anyone able to compare the Tansio Mirai X to the Dunu DaVinci please? I have several Penon and ISN IEMs already (Serial, Quattro, Neo 5, and more) and was hoping for something different but still rich, bassy and musical without intense treble.

May 31, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #2,510 of 2,520
Normally and logically it is easy to explain why the Glacier changes the sound in the upper treble and brings forward the microdetails with the S&S tips. When inserted into the ear canal the shape of the front of the ear tip creates a horn-like shape that gradually becomes larger at the top. This makes the sound in the midrange smoother and extends the treble due to the unique shape and flexibility of the tips. This concept is not new to the audio world , similar principles can be seen in speakers , tweeters where horn shapes affect and extend the treble.
The Glacier has 4 ESTs for treble and treble air making the treble come forward and noticeable when using these eartips. What I donā€™t see are short ear tips and this is missing from most IEMs. Short ear tips can be found for wireless IEMs but they should not be exclusively for wireless IEMs as short ear tips avoid any resonance and can be a game changer for some.
I personally found the perfect balance for me by cutting the S&S tips a tad to make them a bit shorter and I achieved the best sound possible with this IEM.
The S&S and very short tips are the way to go for me.
The shape depending on how deep the insertion is can create more or less of a horn effect using these ear tips. Thatā€™s why I noticed differences with the same ear tips the next day.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #2,513 of 2,520
To Da Vinci users, how do they sound with electronic, soundtracks and atmospheric music (Hans Zimmer, Biosphere, Craig Padilla, etc)
I don't exactly listen to a lot of such music, but for me with Daft Punk it sounds good for those EDM tracks. Hans Zimmer i tried "A Dark Knight" and it sounded quite good. On point technicalities, doesn't sound congested at all, and Tonally nice to.

Jun 1, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #2,514 of 2,520
Anyone here got the DUNU S&S tips and tried it on the DaVinci?

Jun 2, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #2,517 of 2,520
About the Glacier Again.

Conclusion:

The Glacier can sound shouty sometimes with the iBasso DX260. This is not always the case but it can happen because the DX260 removes coloration and the glacier is also a bit dry on the mids.

Initially before I had the iBasso I paired the Glacier with other sources that had more treble energy and colored the midrange, or where incapable of driving them properly.
The digital "timbre" if you want to call it like this but this can happen to any iem if it has more upper treble and color the mids. The s and sh sounds were more present paired with other sources but this wasn't a big issue as it only came forward on bad recordings and was giving a crisp sound altogether and wasnā€™t shouty.

This shoutiness wasnā€™t apparent at first with the DX260 because I was listening at low to mid volumes.
The DX 260 managed to remove the s ans sh and the midrange coloration ā€œ digital timbre ā€œ , making the sound full bodied.
The DX260 is a very natural and true, uncolored music player highly , truly high end that accurately reveals the signature of this IEM.

However at mid to high volumes and high volumes it becomes shouty sometimes and forget playing it at high, very high or extremely loud but again not always.

You need to add some warmth or coloration , coloration means something that has more treble to color to the midrange but then is contrasty and bright and treble forward but never harsh or sibilant.

If you pair it well it may be endgame for many as the treble and bass are very good.
For deep house , pop, instruments, music that has space and is well recorded can be endgame quality as it is good enough that itā€™s difficult to imagine better.
If you are really into hip hop I canā€™t really recommend this set even if it has this bass.

How to explain it , while it can handle female and male vocals equally good because again the midrange is very balanced, neither cold nor warm, neither thin nor thick, but it is dry you get my point and has more energy in the upper mids than it should, making it shouty sometimes but not always.
The tonality of the midrange may be the reason why it sounds sometimes very instrument realistic.
Also sometimes certain sounds in the midrange can come more forward than they should and with the tonality of the midrange, it can get hot but not always.

While instruments and trebles, echoes can be more extended than other sets, if not all sets, the sound needs to breathe to take advantage of this.
This means the Glacier is best used at low to mid volumes again. Short ear tips can help but I still do not recommend listening at high volumes, as it may damage your hearing without noticing even if is smooth.
Another one I noticed if go above mid volumes canā€™t handle fast music, I mean very busy music because of these extensions and resonance, it can but not perfectly. Im not saying isnā€™t fast enough but mid volumes.

To my ears, this sounds more like a W-shaped sound signature rather than a U or V shape as some have described it.

Here I'm not talking about preferences.
I canā€™t be dishonest and here is the truth.

I tested it with so many sources and listened to all kind of music imaginable.
It doesnā€™t matter how you perceive the sound, my ears, your ears or the neighbor's ears you will hear nearly the same if you have good and normal hearing, has to do with timbre, tonality and if shouty or not.
There is no question about it.

It's a shame that all reviewers praise everything good but fail to mention what is critical and what can be perceived nearly the same by anyone. Despite having so many DAPs, IEMs and gear they do not mention this honestly. Probably not capable.

For the treble and bass, I have the same opinion as before, Trebles , natural, stage, coherent , top notch, echos , extensions , sparkly, lively , airy = endgame level but mid volume. Ok ?

Midrange = questionable šŸ¤Ø

Now about my preferences and the type of music I listen to. Is this IEM the right one for me? Thinking twice and conclusion. No, As I listen to loud to very loud but not extreme and here is where most iems mess up. Unfortunately it is not and once again, waste of time.

Is this IEM for you ? Does it worth the asking price, idk if you take into consideration, accessories, cable etc and you are into what Ive described then probably yes.

You may think that the iBasso DX260 is a bad pairing for this IEM from my description and previous comments but I still prefer using this player all the time rather than trying to find the perfect match for the Glacier.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #2,520 of 2,520
I love Dunu so much as any IEM I had from them has been worth the asking price.
However when it comes to single DD IEMs the Sennheisers are incredibly hard to beat .
They sound like multi driver IEMs and beat easy many of them In terms of sound.

As for the Glacierā€¦
I don't want to be boring about the Dunu Glacier but it easily beats all Thieaudio IEMs when it comes to coherence, soundstage and treble to my ears .

And here are two flagship IEMs I sold recently after I got the Glacier as I couldn't keep all of them and had to buy the iBasso DX260.
Linsoul Jupiter xHBB and the Thieaudio Voyager 14. Sorry Thieaudio, really sorry. I have enjoyed both of them so much. Bye bye Thieaudio, bye bye.

I have the feeling that many IEMs will sound not so good when compared to the Glacier. The Glacier review is coming soon.
I haven't had the pleasure to listen to hbb jupiter. How does it compare to dunu glacier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back