New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
May 29, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #1,171 of 1,181
My question is: is it worth purchasing any expensive DAP not to use my smartphone? Especially when it comes to the bit perfect usb-c output from any kind of device. I assume there will be no difference in sound quality as the source device only sends zeros and ones to the IO-12 where internal DAC does its job, so it really doesn't matter whether I run Tidal on cheap Android device or on 2000 USD DAP?
Look at here

Second question. If I purchase any DAP with superb analog 3.5mm output and will use it to feed my IO-12 with music, will this setup be as good as aforementioned USB-C bit perfect solution? In this case what is your experience using IO-12 in passive mode (DAP does all the job), or in active Io12-amplified mode (DAP does its job + IO-12 does its job >> doubled work??) ?
Money down the drain.
DALI IO-12 in passive mode requires good amplification. Even when connected to stationary amplification, I still prefer the active mode and connection via USB. For me, USB connection is the maximum sound quality for DALI IO-12.

May 29, 2024 at 5:57 AM Post #1,172 of 1,181
OK, my main listening setup now is Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra + Tidal + USB C cable connection to io-12 (active mode, ANC off, Hifi mode) and I can't be happier :)

My question is: is it worth purchasing any expensive DAP not to use my smartphone? Especially when it comes to the bit perfect usb-c output from any kind of device. I assume there will be no difference in sound quality as the source device only sends zeros and ones to the IO-12 where internal DAC does its job, so it really doesn't matter whether I run Tidal on cheap Android device or on 2000 USD DAP?

Second question. If I purchase any DAP with superb analog 3.5mm output and will use it to feed my IO-12 with music, will this setup be as good as aforementioned USB-C bit perfect solution? In this case what is your experience using IO-12 in passive mode (DAP does all the job), or in active Io12-amplified mode (DAP does its job + IO-12 does its job >> doubled work??) ?

Thanks!
I always use a DAP with my BT headphones but only for three practical reasons that have nothing to do with sound quality:

1. My DAP has more volume steps than my phone.
2. My music collection is stored on SD cards and my iPhone has no card slot.
3. I avoid draining my phone's battery.

May 29, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #1,173 of 1,181
OK, my main listening setup now is Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra + Tidal + USB C cable connection to io-12 (active mode, ANC off, Hifi mode) and I can't be happier :)

Thanks!
Honestly, I find 3.5 mm output powered on to be just as good if not just slightly less than the USB-C out. I think you will be happy. I have messed with the Dali's with a portable DAC too (my DITA Navigator) just for funsies.

May 30, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #1,174 of 1,181
If someone in the European Union is have interest, I'm selling a brand new sealed pair of iO-12 that I receiving as replacement for my previous pair that developing a fault. I'm selling because I deciding buying again (third time!) the very more expensive T+A Solitaire T.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/dali-io-12-new-sealed.68874/

May 30, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #1,175 of 1,181
May 30, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #1,176 of 1,181
May 30, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #1,177 of 1,181
@angelom has had quite a love affair with the ST! I need to get a set to try if only I come across a good opportunity.

May 30, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,178 of 1,181
@angelom has had quite a love affair with the ST! I need to get a set to try if only I come across a good opportunity.
I tried them and I just really couldn't get comfortable with the pads. Sound quality was excellent

Jun 1, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #1,180 of 1,181
Jun 1, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #1,181 of 1,181
Here is a new review of the iO-12 that is very decent in its contents in comparison with other more typical mediocre 'reviews', and is nice that is a woman, not a man, that is writing the review.

https://audiograde.uk/review/dali-io-12-headphones-review/
Reading this review made me think of a question that I’ve been meaning to ask of everyone in here… Have there been any firmware updates? I can’t just pop open the app like I would with other headphones lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back