XDUoo XD05PRO
Jun 1, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #2,356 of 2,367
It is, but it’s an amp only for $1500. It’s meant to be paired with the D16 DAC (also $1500). So it’s sort of in an entirely different price bracket :thinking:
Looks like the same tubes in the Cayin C9 I tested last week. It was too clinical. Powerful, but the tubey sound was disappointing.

IMG_8031.jpeg

I decided not to buy it. My wife's 10 year old tube amp I am using right now sounds better. Xduoo needs to release a high quality transportable tube.

IMG_8288.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8032.jpeg
    IMG_8032.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jun 1, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #2,357 of 2,367
@hongky : Can you tell us how the OPA828s sound on your Aroma Air? I just ordered a pair as a portable solution to be able to close the door of my 05 Pro.
I read that someone defines the OPA828 as a bit "dryish", but I thought I would partially compensate with the 902MK8 buffer; and, any case, it should be technically better than both the 827 and the 627 (again from what I've read...)
The best door closing opamp IMHO is the Sparkos SS3602.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #2,358 of 2,367
Looks like the same tubes in the Cayin C9 I tested last week. It was too clinical. Powerful, but the tubey sound was disappointing.

I decided not to buy it. My wife's 10 year old tube amp I am using right now sounds better. Xduoo needs to release a high quality transportable tube.

You can try this one for portable solution:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQYTZuT

It also has an option to change two internal OP-AMPS 😁

Now the price is 69€ with coupon and coins discount 😁

A lot of positive reviews 😁

Jun 1, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #2,359 of 2,367
You can try this one for portable solution:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_EQYTZuT

It also has an option to change two internal OP-AMPS 😁

Now the price is 69€ with coupon and coins discount 😁

A lot of positive reviews 😁
Ah the little bear. Doesn't sound good. Tubes pinging like a pinball machine. Too much bloom. Better off looking for old ALO tube amps.

Jun 1, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #2,360 of 2,367
I have the Burson V7Vs but for me they have a too "sterile" sound, compared with my other references, because they are too energetically unbalanced towards the highs and therefore lacking body in the mid-low range and, consequently, in dynamics, as well as a less wide soundstage than my references. (Shanling H7 and Jolida JD100 Reference tube CD player with Mullard 4004 NOS tube)

As is therefore I didn't really like them and I was disappointed with the purchase, but luckily I had also ordered a pair of Ufeel OU902MK9 buffers which saved the situation: now the soundstage is wider and the sound is fuller and more dynamic, with evident improvement in the mid and low range.
Now the sound is more pleasant, full and dynamic, very similar to the headphone output of the CD with the Mullard NOS, my personal reference for 15 years (and still unbeaten), in terms of body, dynamics, fluidity and detail (i.e. pleasantness of 'I listen).

The Xduoo with the Burson V7V + Ufeel OU902MK9 combination is therefore now what comes closest to my reference, even if the action of the buffer brings the mids a little too far forward, losing some detail; in fact, I intend to try to get the less marked buffer version, Ufeel OU902MK8, to see if I can find a better compromise.

I would therefore be tempted to try to get the Sparcos SS2590 as well (definitely plundering my budget), but I have only read comments about improvements in the high range (mainly soundstage and separation), but nothing about how it behaves in the mid-low range, i.e. body, fluidity and dynamics in general.

Has anyone managed to test both the V7v and the SS2590 in comparison?
I have the V7 Classic, SS2590, Staccato OSH-DHB, NewClassD Ultimate Edition mk 1, SS3602, and SIL 994 opamps knocking around. The last of these are noisy regardless, so I don't use them. I haven't tried the V7 Vivid because I was no fan of the V6 Vivid. I know it's different but I suspect the OSH-DHB is better as a more neutral opamp, and I've spent more than enough of on opamps!

I haven't done a thorough side-by-side comparison of all the above yet. I will say the SS2590s sound massive - wide, deep, rich and musical, regardless of DAC module. They certainly don't come across focused on high end, at least to my ears. Each opamp I've tried offers different synergy, whether with a DAC module or transducer, or both. None is perfect for everything, and portability is obviously an issue with any "external" opamp.

I've been enjoying the OSH-DHB / ROHM DAC with bassier / warmer IEMs as the slightly more neutral and dynamic DAC & opamp combination balances nicely. The NewClassD Ultimate Edition seems to sit between SS3602 and SS2590, so tend to be a great all rounder. I haven't actually had time to try the V7C properly yet!

Jun 1, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #2,361 of 2,367
The best door closing opamp IMHO is the Sparkos SS3602.
I know, you were right to remember it for those who land in this thread now, but it was clear to me having followed this thread for a couple of months. The only problem is that they are expensive, and I had already oriented my budget towards open door solutions (V7V), looking for maximum results and using them mainly in a desktop configuration (sofa).
I decided to try the OPA828s as an economical possible solution that was at least a little better than the OPA1612A + LME49720 supplied as standard, because use with the door closed will be marginal for me (only for a few trips).
If no one else has tried the 828s... I'll let you know when they arrive, and I will have been able to evaluate the value for money.

Jun 1, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #2,362 of 2,367
I have the V7 Classic, SS2590, Staccato OSH-DHB, NewClassD Ultimate Edition mk 1, SS3602, and SIL 994 opamps knocking around. The last of these are noisy regardless, so I don't use them. I haven't tried the V7 Vivid because I was no fan of the V6 Vivid. I know it's different but I suspect the OSH-DHB is better as a more neutral opamp, and I've spent more than enough of on opamps!

I haven't done a thorough side-by-side comparison of all the above yet. I will say the SS2590s sound massive - wide, deep, rich and musical, regardless of DAC module. They certainly don't come across focused on high end, at least to my ears. Each opamp I've tried offers different synergy, whether with a DAC module or transducer, or both. None is perfect for everything, and portability is obviously an issue with any "external" opamp.

I've been enjoying the OSH-DHB / ROHM DAC with bassier / warmer IEMs as the slightly more neutral and dynamic DAC & opamp combination balances nicely. The NewClassD Ultimate Edition seems to sit between SS3602 and SS2590, so tend to be a great all rounder. I haven't actually had time to try the V7C properly yet!
Thanks for your impressions; I think that sooner or later I will give in to the temptation to take the SS2590s as my end of game (possibly combined with the Ufeel buffer, if necessary).

Jun 1, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #2,363 of 2,367
Jun 1, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #2,364 of 2,367
@hongky : Can you tell us how the OPA828s sound on your Aroma Air? I just ordered a pair as a portable solution to be able to close the door of my 05 Pro.
I read that someone defines the OPA828 as a bit "dryish", but I thought I would partially compensate with the 902MK8 buffer; and, any case, it should be technically better than both the 827 and the 627 (again from what I've read...)
Definitely not dry, I like it better than the original
But that's on Aroma air, I don't know how it sounds on 05Pro. I don't think I can help you here

Jun 2, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #2,365 of 2,367
Definitely not dry, I like it better than the original
But that's on Aroma air, I don't know how it sounds on 05Pro. I don't think I can help you here
I did try it on the XD05. At that point I was running the SS3602, of course the 828 was not from the same planet. I lost interest after a few minutes. That was a mistake. I should had compared it to the stock opamp.

Jun 2, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #2,366 of 2,367
I did try it on the XD05. At that point I was running the SS3602, of course the 828 was not from the same planet. I lost interest after a few minutes. That was a mistake. I should had compared it to the stock opamp.
Yeah, it's different league compare to ss3602 (compare it in my a100tb)
But aroma air has very limited space for opamp rolling, ss3602 wouldn't fit

Jun 2, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #2,367 of 2,367
The 2 opamps used in the XD05 Pro is 1 for input stage & 1 for output stage configuration?
Asked this question because if it is as above, I would like to use 2 different opamps (eg Burson V5iD for input, Trullis HA8802 for output).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back