Anyone planning on pre-ordering the Playdate?
Jun 9, 2021 at 12:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HiGHFLYiN9

Member of the Trade: Zynsonix
It's a small black and white handheld gaming system with a 240x400 resolution screen and a hand crank which is incorporated into the game's control schemes. I've been watching the progress since 2019 with interest. The price is $179 which seems quite high given the specs; that does include the first "season" of 20 or so games though. From what I've seen so far they seem to be a little bit like WarioWare mini games, but hopefully they have a little more depth. Teenage engineering is making the device... they make some pretty cool stuff like the Pocket Operator. They're based in Sweden, so that's likely why the cost is what it is.

Below are the games:

1623253833204.png

And here’s the list of games and their developers:
  • Crankin’s Time Travel Adventure by uvula (Keita Takahashi, Ryan Mohler), Matthew Grimm, and Shaun Inman
  • Battleship Godios by TPM.Co Soft Works.
  • Casual Birder by Diego Garcia with music by Max Coburn
  • DemonQuest 85 by Alex Ashby, Lawrence Bishop, Duncan Fyfe, Belinda Leung, and Jared Emerson-Johnson
  • Echoic Memory by Samantha Kalman, Everest Pipkin, Carol Mertz, and Rachelle Viola
  • Executive Golf DX by davemakes
  • Flipper Lifter by Serenity Forge
  • Forrest Byrnes: Up in Smoke by Nels Anderson and Christina “castpixel” Neofotistou
  • Hyper Meteor by Vertex Pop (Mobeen Fikree, Robby Duguay, and h heron)
  • Lost Your Marbles by Sweet Baby Inc. & Friends
  • Omaze by Gregory Kogos
  • Pick Pack Pup by Nic Magnier and Arthur Hamer with music by Logan Gabriel
  • Questy Chess by Dadako
  • Ratcheteer by Shaun Inman, Matthew Grimm, and Charlie Davis
  • Sasquatchers by Chuck Jordan with music and sound by Jared Emerson-Johnson
  • Snak by Zach Gage with art by Neven Mrgan
  • Spellcorked! by Jada Gibbs, Nick Splendorr, Ryan Splendorr, and Tony Ghostbrite with music by A Shell in the Pit (Em Halberstadt)
  • Zipper by Bennett Foddy
  • Saturday Edition by Chris Makris with music by A Shell in the Pit (Gord McGladdery, Alfonso Salinas)
  • Whitewater Wipeout by Chuhai Labs (Giles Goddard, Mark Lentz, Peter Traylor, Hero Liao, Remy Thor, Charlie March, Kensaku Nakata, Zach Aikman, Mihoko Terao, and Kinsey Burke)

I'm assuming this is just going to be a passing novelty for older geeks like myself as I don't really see much of an audience outside of that. I'm still excited about it though. What are your thoughts on the device and it's chances of relevancy a couple years after its release?

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #3 of 3
I neglected to reserve the unit when the pre-order opened and they were quickly sold out through 2022. Most of the reviews found the unit novel/amusing but weren't too thrilled at the lack of a backlight. Hopefully there will be a future version that addresses that shortcoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back