Audio-GD Master 9
May 17, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #2,611 of 2,617
Yip. There are number of internal SMPS regulators, it makes little difference. But Macbooks have very noisy USB with PD and Thunderbolt features. It can be reduced by self-powered USB 2.0 (not 3.x) hub. If DAC is the only device attached to a hub, it can be the cheapest one.

Also use USB "2.0 High-Speed" cable, not 3.0 cables. Extra unused wires bring more noise from the 3.0 root hub.
I've tried things like the Uptone regen which is supposed to one of the best but I don't think I really get much of a benefit out of it.

May 17, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #2,612 of 2,617
Also use USB "2.0 High-Speed" cable, not 3.0 cables.
Thanks, I don't need it.
The cassette deck requires no line power for the digit source, expensive silver cables, external clocks or USB converters.
It connects to the Master 9 with $2 RCA wires and plays fantastic.
But to some, it could really help.

P.S
For example, I did not hear any benefit from the Teddy Pardo external linear power supply with Lynx Hilo.

Attachments

• IMG_0187.jpeg
    IMG_0187.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #2,613 of 2,617
Thanks, I don't need it.
The cassette deck requires no line power for the digit source, expensive silver cables, external clocks or USB converters.
Fair enough, no Macbook, no USB connection, but you took a part in conversation about those, not realy related to your cassete deck.

May 17, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #2,614 of 2,617
but you took a part in conversation about those
Based on my experience with Lynx Hilo, I expressed my doubts about the feasibility of switching the source to line power, as well as my hope that Kingwa has implemented quality noise filtering over USB connection in their top-end DACs.

May 18, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #2,615 of 2,617
I have not heard about the positive results of converting the M1 to linear power.
The total load on the processor when using Audirvana does not exceed 2%, I think that Kingwa installed good filters at the USB input in his top DACs.
Show me one example. If you really serious about what you are saying, you have not heard about a search engine either.

You don´t know what you are missing out on. Audirvana might use 2% even 0%. This means absolutely nothing. There are tons of other services we can talk about that effect the sound but services are NOT the issue here. You are comparing Power and Services - Really? - ..it is too completely different discussions. If you really want to go deep on this read about storage solution (encapsulation) and network instead, this is the first true "source"- where software and files are stored - everything else is just "playback". At core level operating systems today perform superb enough, even with bloatware. Bloatware is bloatware if you are not using them...EDIT: just remove them if possible. Again not the main issue

Do not get Operating System in the way. Windows, Linux or Apple. Power supply is important. Those who can not benefit from a Teradak LPSU on the Mac Mini has not come far enough to justify there journey for it. Just my opinion. This is not an easy journey without training and developing the hearing skills. Most importantly the approach of listening, that is next level for me.

Everything is influenced by power. Even fibreoptics.

Read and understand this and you won’t look at digital data as the what you are use to. POWER!

https://www.tutorchase.com/answers/igcse/physics/how-do-digital-signals-transmit-information#:~:text=This is done by sending,back into the original data.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #2,616 of 2,617
I have not heard other Audio-gd headamps than my HE-9 LE. I read a lot of people calling the sound of Audio-gd soft. But an amp only amplifies what the DAC passes to it.

Not trying to get philosophical here, but maybe your DACs are soft? - The reason why I like the R1NOS for headphones. Perfectly soft/smooth!

R8H2 is another performance level - Not soft.

A Cirrus Logic sounds soft on my HE9 LE
A ESS sounds more edgy on my HE9 LE....

---

EDIT: Of course there are some sweet analog velvety to it, but not enough to go on say the HE9 LE is soft.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #2,617 of 2,617
Not trying to get philosophical here, but maybe your DACs are soft? - The reason why I like the R1NOS for headphones. Perfectly soft/smooth!
We are going off-topic if following up on the NOS issue.

A key point was made in this thread that the amp tape emulator option is not the same as from a real tape recorder and I agree.

However I need to point out that in this case a source is CD library - already digital! Converted to analogue in a tape recorder using the internal Delta-Sigma DAC, then added a relatively low frequency pilot signal during recording and a noise during playback. Tape noise play a role for the overall satisfaction, including frequency modulation of the transport twice (during recording and playback). Such small amount of jitter and second harmonic distortion can be rewarding!
:)

After all these manipulation to the original digital source we can say:
The Master truly shines, but not with digital sources.
:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back