AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 21, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #691 of 695
I gather the Elegia is the least liked of the Focal closed-backs and supposed to be strangely tuned. I gather the new Azurys is better tuned and more spacious than the typical focal closed back sound. Will see if they are decently spacious for a closed back when I get them, my closed Beyers are both very spacious so good headphones to test against for that aspect. Open focals in general are great, I’ve heard a couple (Elear and Utopia OG) and thought they were great and I’m sure they’ve only improved since. Comfort of the old style focals wasn’t ideal for me though.
Closed backs are not a strength of Focal, IMO. I like my Radiance's, but I don't love them. A little claustrophobic for me. Great in small doses, but I rarely go a full week with them.
I have never tried the Stella's though. Too high end for me.
The Radiance's are the most expensive headphone that I ever bought.

May 21, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #692 of 695
Oh thanks! Somehow I missed that. He also mentions that the sound is highly position dependent, which is surprising to me. Maybe if you get the driver too low something gets in the way. I know that Grell mentioned the driver is low so that it doesn't rest on your cheekbone and cause any bone conduction. So maybe the issue is the opposite and it sits high for Resolve. I have so many questions that won't be answered for a month!
Yeah, and it’s positioned forward of your ear canal and angled back. That, plus the unusual % of how open the baffle is, are the major innovations/unique things about this headphone.
I think Evshrug mentioned something in his review as well, about the sound changing noticeably depending on how you position the ear cups and how the headband rests on your head.
Thanks for the shout out!

With a driver that’s “flat,” firing directly into your ear canal, pretty much the only sweet spot is wearing it so the driver is centered directly over your ear canal and concha. But when a driver is angled and forward of your ear, it’s interacting much more with your whole ear surface, and finding a sweet spot can make a substantial difference.

It’s not hard though! If you know to look for it, you’ll find the sweet spot as soon as it sounds good 😂 The most placement-sensitive headphone I’ve ever heard (besides ear speakers) was the HD 820, it especially made a difference in the bass, but once I got used to finding that sweet spot a few times it started automatically feeling like the “correct” way to wear the headphones!
@Evshrug In your personal opinion, do you think it makes sense to own the OAE1, if one already has a HD800 setup that works satisfactorily with bass eq'ed in? I am in a dilemma whether to order the OAE1, given that I regularly use the HD800 for music and quite happy with it. What else could the OAE1 bring to the table that I cannot get using a HD800 and hardware eq (I mean Schist Loki)? I understand it could mean a lot for those who are looking for a lower price alternative to HD800. Thank you for your feedback in advance.
I think I need to get a Loki 😂
Personally, I think the OAE1 is easier to listen to and more comfortable than the HD 800. I don’t have a universal EQ for it, and I like the HD 800’s default tuning, but sometimes I want something that is a little less bright, and the bass response of the OAE1 is surprisingly fun.

But the HD 800 was my last “holy grail” headphone, and only the third Sennheiser I ever owned (the first being really cheap and I forgot it was a Sennheiser). I used to love airy headphones that pushed things just shy of too much (and, more than that, I loved the sensation of soundstage and imaging). Once I got the HD 800, I kept it, and I still use it, but I started exploring other flavors to compliment it. Now, I’m more of a collector than a “best headphone” kind of guy. The HD 800 remains exciting and it can surprise me, but honestly I don’t use it as much.

May 21, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #693 of 695
Closed backs are not a strength of Focal, IMO. I like my Radiance's, but I don't love them. A little claustrophobic for me. Great in small doses, but I rarely go a full week with them.
I felt that way about the Celestee. Absolutely beautiful headphones from a design perspective, maybe Focal’s best in terms of style, and beautiful tonality that’s just about perfect, but dang if they didn’t have the smallest most claustrophobic soundstage I’ve ever heard on any headphone.

May 21, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #694 of 695
I haven’t heard any closed-back Focals. I’ll see if the Azurys is claustrophobic sounding or not when I get them.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #695 of 695
I think I need to get a Loki 😂
Personally, I think the OAE1 is easier to listen to and more comfortable than the HD 800. I don’t have a universal EQ for it, and I like the HD 800’s default tuning, but sometimes I want something that is a little less bright, and the bass response of the OAE1 is surprisingly fun.

But the HD 800 was my last “holy grail” headphone, and only the third Sennheiser I ever owned (the first being really cheap and I forgot it was a Sennheiser). I used to love airy headphones that pushed things just shy of too much (and, more than that, I loved the sensation of soundstage and imaging). Once I got the HD 800, I kept it, and I still use it, but I started exploring other flavors to compliment it. Now, I’m more of a collector than a “best headphone” kind of guy. The HD 800 remains exciting and it can surprise me, but honestly I don’t use it as much.

Thank you! What I gather from your statement is that OAE1 is close to HD800 with better bass and less treble brightness. I will wait and look forward to listening to the OAE1 in this year's CanJam.

Yes, HD800 is special and Loki gives it just the right amount of body to make everything more interesting to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back