Best low budget pcie usb card?
May 15, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #31 of 34
the quick silver filter posted above does "something" in the free slot, i will need to burn it in to make sure, tho i also kinda didnt liked the SQ with the first one i tested (which i cant find right now)

but placing the ifi isilencer back into the pcie card actually did way more :) thanks for the tip... i wonder whether the pcie card itself profits from these filters
what actually worked way better than the quick silver chinese filter was soldering a Panasonic oscon SEPF 470uF 16V cap between V+ and GND of a USB A connector and using it in the second slot

it doesnt beat the ifi isilencer placed in the second slot but its kinda close imo, with the ifi isilencer in the main slot and the 470uF cap in the second slot is the best sound so far

i think i will add a cap to my diy sister board filter, just for good measure :)

BTW: a 470uF cap + 0,1ohm resistance (wire/connector resistance) forms a low pass filter starting at around 3khz, tho it cant beat the supercap solution (it basicly forms a RC filter that starts at 1Hz...) but i think for the sister board a smaller electrolytic cap might be the way to go to improve things without much effort :)

May 15, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #32 of 34
NuMetal or Alix altermatives, they use different names due to patent/copyright issues, still very effective.
Do you have a link to the AliX alternatives?

However the best method is isolating outside noisy PC enclosure everything: power/ground and data lines, reclock digital data if neccessary.
Yep definitely, tho i was kinda surprised what the shielding did, it was a bit like using a different usb port which makes me more convenient in saying that the EMI-profile on the usb part determines sound quite a bit

specially with my diy filter and the auth filters i bought for remaining devices on the same circuit as my hifi, i think i havent heared "blacker background" so far, also it was really noticable in sound quality that EMI/RFI seems to mainly affect high frequencys.... somehow high frequencys sound annoying and harsh when the system is loaded with EMI/RFI as it seems (and it was really strange at first, i definitely get why people say "this sounds too dark etc" because you are so used to the boosted high frequencys with EMI/RFI)

May 15, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #33 of 34
Do you have a link to the AliX alternatives?
I only remember discussion on the masterclock thread or Gustard A26/R26 thread. @Jake2 makes similar DIY modifications and there were links as well, follow his posts.

May 15, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #34 of 34
Here you go:

Discussion of MuMetal composition, alternatives.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-18077111

Got mine from here, best price I’ve found for this 0.15mm thickness.

https://diyhifisupply.com/product/f...ding-sheet-0-15mm-305-x

Initially got one sheet I used to shield the two toroidal transformers in my DAC - which I did by encasing them in cylinders with lids. It was so effective both sonically and measurement wise (a 5-10x reduction in field strength with my Gigahertz solutions meter) I promptly bought 4 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back