Can you recommend a lightweight headphone similar to the Sennheiser PX 100?
May 3, 2024 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Takaji

100+ Head-Fier
Like the title says. I've been using an original pair of Sennheiser PX 100 headphones for years when I'm working at my computer. I like them particularly because they're lightweight and on-ear headphones, which means my ears don't get hot from over-ear headphones, and the top of my head doesn't get sore from a hefty band.

I was considering trying something new and going with the Koss Porta Pro, because it looks equally as lightweight, but I'd like to know if there are other headphones I should consider.

I would prefer:
1. Price range max $250
2. Lightweight, open-back
3. High quality sound and sturdy construction

Any suggestions? Thanks for your help!

May 3, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 6
Omg, I love PX100. I got one because it is recommended by ilounge back in the ipods heyday.
I think I go through 3-4 sets of replacement earpad foams before it finally got problem with the cable.

They don’t sell PX100 anymore?

May 3, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 6
I am not quite familiar with Grado models.
I recently bought my first pair (a cheap one), which has on-ear pads (which I don't prefer).
But you can sneak peek at Grados. They are also light and have good sound.
You can also visit the Grado thread here on Head-Fi and ask for more information.

But Sennheiser could be an option, too. If you reduce your demands,
HD6 hundreds offer a lot, and you could buy a pair for $250. They are lightweight.

Cheers!

May 3, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 6
The Koss KSC75 sound fantastic and light as a kite. We've bought two pairs and they clip on, soft, and trade blows with headphones costing 10 times more. The band on the porta pro is really uncomfortable and they need yaxxi pads for long term comfort. The KSC75 is comfortable out of the box and tuning is really good.

May 4, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Omg, I love PX100. I got one because it is recommended by ilounge back in the ipods heyday.
I think I go through 3-4 sets of replacement earpad foams before it finally got problem with the cable.

They don’t sell PX100 anymore?

My cable is starting to get worn out around the jack. Maybe I could just upgrade the cable myself as a DIY project...

But you can sneak peek at Grados. They are also light and have good sound.
You can also visit the Grado thread here on Head-Fi and ask for more information.

But Sennheiser could be an option, too. If you reduce your demands,
HD6 hundreds offer a lot, and you could buy a pair for $250. They are lightweight.

I used to own two Grado headphones but I sold them both. Too cumbersome, and no matter what I did, they always introduced pain on my ears and top of my head.
HD600 could be an option, but it seems quite a bulky step up from the PX 100?

The Koss KSC75 sound fantastic and light as a kite. We've bought two pairs and they clip on, soft, and trade blows with headphones costing 10 times more. The band on the porta pro is really uncomfortable and they need yaxxi pads for long term comfort. The KSC75 is comfortable out of the box and tuning is really good.

Thanks, I'll look into these! It's also easy to find replacement PX 100 headband pads that theoretically could be attached to the Koss Porta Pros. That could be an idea :)

May 18, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 6
The unexpected ending to this story is that I actually settled on a pair of Sennheiser HD 800 S. I didn't follow my budget at all.

BUT - I demoed them for half an hour in an audio store and loved the experience. They don't touch my ears at all, and they were extremely comfy!

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back