Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 18, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #6,421 of 6,429
Wait what?? The official advice everywhere is to always use Paypal invoice and avoid friend and family or direct payments, you have no recourse otherwise. The fee in Paypal invoice is there to protect buyers and sellers alike.
As a buyer ... YES!!! Because you can overturn the payment. As a seller its a foolish thing to do ... As a seller you want to be in control of the money. If those goods belong to ME, then I will be in control. I buy and sell a lot of astro gear. There are times people simply wont buy. But being in control has ensured that silly things dont happen. Ebay is a cracking example of that, as is Aliexpress. The buyer is 100% protected whilst the seller gets shafted! I love using these platforms to buy ... i think twice when selling.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #6,422 of 6,429
Also on drivers ive been really enjoying the GEC ST L63s. They aren’t as mid forward as the white prints, and feel a bit more neutral. But they add detail and dynamics which is very nice while still retaining a butter smooth midrange. I still need to do more comparisons against the white prints but they are coming out on top for me so far.

May 18, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #6,423 of 6,429
I’ve forgot we’re living in computer era:)
Visual astronomy is useless in light polluted areas except for planets, moon and sun. From dark skies, visual astronomy is spectacular. Ive always been an imager and rarely find time to remove the cameras!!! Its an amazing hobby and i love beating the odds as best i can!

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 9:01 AM Post #6,424 of 6,429
Wait what?? The official advice everywhere is to always use Paypal invoice and avoid friend and family or direct payments, you have no recourse otherwise. The fee in Paypal invoice is there to protect buyers and sellers alike.
PayPal doesn't protect sellers outside US and UK sadly 😭

May 18, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #6,425 of 6,429
Also on drivers ive been really enjoying the GEC ST L63s. They aren’t as mid forward as the white prints, and feel a bit more neutral. But they add detail and dynamics which is very nice while still retaining a butter smooth midrange. I still need to do more comparisons against the white prints but they are coming out on top for me so far.
Im saving my pennies!! My big problem is like i like to have at least 5 tubes as a set. Then i like to have 2/3 sets like that to maintain the long haul. So, 15 tubes x £100 = £1500!!! And then one day i cant have that anymore!!! Thats MY probem!

During my search for quad matched sets, it has become very apparent that some are now ultra rare to the point getting more than 1 matched set is just not going to happen. This is why i sold some of the spectacular 6C5G/6J5 tubes onwards... great sound, amazing looks but never have a second set. That to me seems a little pointless - id like to preserve "one" sound for long time! So i have started to sell off some of the lovelies!! Its nice to be able to share some of the amazing sets out there. But i guess rthis might be why im so drawn the White Prints ... the fact that i might get a decade out of a sound i revere!

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #6,426 of 6,429
Most of the metal cans i see are far later productions and i have no interest. I played in 6sn7 quite a bit and was happy with TungSol Black Glass Oval Plates ... then my next step was GEC CV6 and Mullard CV6. For me personally, and with my gear, nothing has floored the Mullard White prints ... THe GEC's got sold (my white prints might have been a stronger copy, but mine were leaps better to my ear!) - I have 3 whiteprint sets all strong and matched. Russian 6C5C are very hit and miss, but i think they sit alongside White prints. Both have utter moments of brilliance, and everything else for me doesnt quite have "everything". Im reserving judgement on the chinese tubes, i think they are excellent, but i havent had enough burn in time yet to be fair to them. They are dynamic, they are spacious which already put them "up there". But i think they might be slightly thinner and some music just needs that extra little bit :) But an incredibly decent tube for the money! 6SN7 is a non-requirement for me. No need to go back.
I remember reading somewhere (so it must be true) that production of metal cans pretty much ceased sometime in the early 50s, because the glass envelopes were cheaper to make. All the later production cans were just old stock relabeled to clear out. In any case there are real advantages to the cans in terms of blocking noise - which to be fair is not really a problem with Susvara.

May 18, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #6,427 of 6,429
I remember reading somewhere (so it must be true) that production of metal cans pretty much ceased sometime in the early 50s, because the glass envelopes were cheaper to make. All the later production cans were just old stock relabeled to clear out. In any case there are real advantages to the cans in terms of blocking noise - which to be fair is not really a problem with Susvara.
Oh i had not read that!! Very interesting then maybe worth giving it a go. I can find metal tubes in the UK most are over seas. And yes Susvara hides noises that other headphones lay bear! I sold some tubes to a Focal user and he claimed then noisy. I got them back to hear absolutely NOTHING! He was also using an envy so it might be difference in circuit too ... but in a way the Susvaras are both a blessing and a curse LOL! They ruin all other headphones and i hope mine out live me.

May 18, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #6,428 of 6,429
Oh i had not read that!! Very interesting then maybe worth giving it a go. I can find metal tubes in the UK most are over seas. And yes Susvara hides noises that other headphones lay bear! I sold some tubes to a Focal user and he claimed then noisy. I got them back to hear absolutely NOTHING! He was also using an envy so it might be difference in circuit too ... but in a way the Susvaras are both a blessing and a curse LOL! They ruin all other headphones and i hope mine out live me.
If the tubes have any noise the Utopia are going to reveal it as do the iBasso SR3 headphones. The SR3 are excellent headphones and I use them much of the time with the 300BMKII with Whiplash cables. But if tubes have noise, they will pick it up.

I have the Chinese metal base and they are excellent. You have to burn them in for some time. The same for the E1148.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #6,429 of 6,429
I would NOT allow Paypal Invoice. This potentially allow him to turn over the payment. It NEEDS to be Friends and Family or bank transfer ONLY. REFUSE ANYTHING ELSE. THe problem for you is that he will argue if one of those valves go bad in transit, he will overturn your payment. Most of us understand that a bad tube in transit is tought luck. No one warrants a tube to travel half the world and work perfectly. Read the small print on most ebay sales very carefully!! THe one that stick in my mind is the £20,000 set of WE300b originals. Even they only take a cash payment!!

Is that really how most people feel? As both a seller and a buyer, I’ve always felt that the onus is on the seller to make sure it gets to the buyer safely. If it’s a valuable item, it’s insured, and any claims are made by the seller with the shipping company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back