Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 24, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #827 of 836
Can't get enough of thoose lights ls sexy as F.
20240523_213106.jpg

May 24, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #828 of 836
Are there any similar DAPs that I should be cross-shopping when looking at the N3Ultra? Main IEMs are IER-Z1R, IE900, LCD-i4, Campfire sensitive set. (OG Andro, etc.)
iBasso DX180 4 x CS43198 690mW in Balanced 14hr replaceable battery and just over 200g is going to bring some competition.

May 24, 2024 at 8:18 AM Post #829 of 836
The iBasso CB18 is a silver plated 6N high purity monocrystalline copper cable. High quality Type-C to Type-C OTG.
The problem with this cable is, USB expects a 90 Ohm characteristic impedance from the plugs and cable. I can guarantee that a random braid is most definitely not going to be that, so this would be technically worse than something like an OEAudio cable that uses proper shielded USB cable.

(My review is coming as soon as I have time to shoot it, before anyone asks.)

May 24, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #830 of 836
iBasso DX180 4 x CS43198 690mW in Balanced 14hr replaceable battery and just over 200g is going to bring some competition.

The only problem, and based on getting quite a few similar questions from my readers already, I'm not sure what people mean by "similar"? In the $500 price range or similar footprint? Because if we are talking about the tonality, we are comparing other solid-state DAPs with a pair of JAN6418 vac tubes offered in N3U. The reduction in the battery life while using tubes should also be accounted for when compared to solid-state DAPs, especially since I prefer N3U in Classic Tube mode and don't want to switch to SS :)

May 24, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #831 of 836
The only problem, and based on getting quite a few similar questions from my readers already, I'm not sure what people mean by "similar"? In the $500 price range or similar footprint? Because if we are talking about the tonality, we are comparing other solid-state DAPs with a pair of JAN6418 vac tubes offered in N3U. The reduction in the battery life while using tubes should also be accounted for when compared to solid-state DAPs, especially since I prefer N3U in Classic Tube mode and don't want to switch to SS :)
Good questions.

The N3U seems unique to me, in that it offers the tubes + simple interface + price. Does the similar priced Shanling M5U compete in sonic technicality or just priced with the 'extras' (Operating system, etc.)?

May 24, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #832 of 836
Good questions.

The N3U seems unique to me, in that it offers the tubes + simple interface + price. Does the similar priced Shanling M5U compete in sonic technicality or just priced with the 'extras' (Operating system, etc.)?

Sorry, I'm yet to try M5U. Might borrow one from Musicteck to check it out. Technicality could (?) be similar, but from my experience, even a warmer solid-state source won't be able to match exactly the textured tonality of the tube-based source. I do have DX180 on burn-in now, just had it for a day so the jury is still out about the tonality, but the battery performance of this solid-state dap is crazy. With M5U, I'm very curious to try it, especially because of its 7ohm output impedance which suggests, that unless your IEMs have a flat impedance curve, it will alter the tonality of IEMs under 32ohm. I remember testing one of the older non-Android Shanling daps in the past which had OI of 5-6ohms, and I couldn't use it with Andro and Solaris unless I had iEMatch connected.

May 24, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #833 of 836
Great points - Didn't realize the OI was that high on the M5U.

I'd like a DAP with decent eq (g.eq or peq) and nothing 'gimped' on the SE / BAL. outputs.
Are there any DAPs that is a full FPGA system for their DAC? Would be nice to have firmware options that could add features at later dates. Bluetooth would be a nice feature, but I understand the choice with the N3U. The N3U on paper seems like a great iPod Classic replacement.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #834 of 836
Sorry, I'm yet to try M5U. Might borrow one from Musicteck to check it out. Technicality could (?) be similar, but from my experience, even a warmer solid-state source won't be able to match exactly the textured tonality of the tube-based source. I do have DX180 on burn-in now, just had it for a day so the jury is still out about the tonality, but the battery performance of this solid-state dap is crazy. With M5U, I'm very curious to try it, especially because of its 7ohm output impedance which suggests, that unless your IEMs have a flat impedance curve, it will alter the tonality of IEMs under 32ohm. I remember testing one of the older non-Android Shanling daps in the past which had OI of 5-6ohms, and I couldn't use it with Andro and Solaris unless I had iEMatch connected.
Mate give us some first impressions of the DX180 if possible, hope it can compete with N3 Ultra 😁

May 24, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #835 of 836
What implementation bothers you ?
For me the way in which Cayin have implemented the 'Tubes' and 'Balanced mode' admitting there is a compromise there.
I would also have liked a DAP to have Wi-Fi/Bluetooth but I accept the reasons for not including them.

May 25, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #836 of 836
Still loving my N3U!! The leather case not so much. I've decided to simply use the stock case--it suits my needs much better.

So I have a blue leather case I'm no longer using. There is some adhesive residue on the back from the belt clip I put on it.

I'm offering it for free (incl. shipping!) to any one in the contiguous US.

First come first serve!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back