Effect Audio cables thread
May 21, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #7,966 of 7,972
There's qute a buzz beginning to stir over the new Elysian Pilgrim and the Elysian / EA CoLab - Pilgrim Noir. I've got em both and rather than cross post I link over to the posts of my initial impressions over on the Pilgrim thread for anyone who's interested. The Noirs literally just showed up a couple of hours ago so I'm not ready to make any comparisons, but out of the box, they're both lovely! And with just the Eros S Noir cable alone, Noir is a big upgrade. By the way I LOVE the P Ear Connector - It should be made a new standard. It's robust, its a secure connection to the IEM and no more bent or loose 2 pins.

My OG Pilgrim came with a 3.5 Cable and since I dont have any other P Ear connections I couldn't do any cable rolling. Now with the Noir, I can properly cross compare the 2 units as oppsed to driving one of a SE connection and the other off a Bal connection. The OG has a about 50 to 60 hours on it now and I'm going to let the Noir settle in over the next couple of days then start making notes on each in the same set up.

Initial Imressions from the Pilgrim thread here:

Post 1: Pilgrim OG Out of The Box
Post 2: Pilgrim OG After 50 Hours

More to follow

May 23, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #7,967 of 7,972
Cross Post from Pilgrim Thread:
Alright, I've got about 100 Hours on the OG Pilgrim and approx 40 on the Noir - I havent had a chance to do any critical listening or comparisons with the workload on my table BUT I can clearly say that with these hours, both of these units have settled down. I reported earlier that they work best with narrow bore tips; that with wide bore the treble came on too hot. I dont think this is placebo or psychoacoustic - today I move both units over to both Divinus Velvet and Azla Sedna Short and all that sizzle is gone. I have found my tips in the Velvets. I also just ordered a couple sets of EA ConX P Ear connectors so I can properly shoot these earphones out against each other. I've got a couple Eros S Cables here in addition the the one that came with Noir soI'll be able to go head to head with the same set up on both. I've been listening today on the Lotoo PAW6000 - one of the nice things about it is the fact that its a neutral device but also the power output on both the 3.5 and 4.4 jacks are the same so volume matching is reall easy. Even with casual listening Drum textures are exquisite and there is pretty good stage width on both units. I'm sensing a touch more bass on the Noirs, vocals seem to be more forward - female vocals in particular - and treble, cymbal strikes in particular seem to be gentler. What does that mean? What I'm trying to say is that all the notes I hear on the OG are present on the Noir, they just aren't as forward or aggressive (neither of those words are truly appropriate but I can't find a better one) The OG is an excellent IEM and an outstanding value - The Noire is a refinement. When the new ConX Pentaconn Ear Connectors show up I'll sit down with pen and paper and start making proper comparative notes. Burn 'em in - they pretty outstanding!

May 23, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #7,968 of 7,972
Cross Post from Pilgrim Thread:
Alright, I've got about 100 Hours on the OG Pilgrim and approx 40 on the Noir - I havent had a chance to do any critical listening or comparisons with the workload on my table BUT I can clearly say that with these hours, both of these units have settled down. I reported earlier that they work best with narrow bore tips; that with wide bore the treble came on too hot. I dont think this is placebo or psychoacoustic - today I move both units over to both Divinus Velvet and Azla Sedna Short and all that sizzle is gone. I have found my tips in the Velvets. I also just ordered a couple sets of EA ConX P Ear connectors so I can properly shoot these earphones out against each other. I've got a couple Eros S Cables here in addition the the one that came with Noir soI'll be able to go head to head with the same set up on both. I've been listening today on the Lotoo PAW6000 - one of the nice things about it is the fact that its a neutral device but also the power output on both the 3.5 and 4.4 jacks are the same so volume matching is reall easy. Even with casual listening Drum textures are exquisite and there is pretty good stage width on both units. I'm sensing a touch more bass on the Noirs, vocals seem to be more forward - female vocals in particular - and treble, cymbal strikes in particular seem to be gentler. What does that mean? What I'm trying to say is that all the notes I hear on the OG are present on the Noir, they just aren't as forward or aggressive (neither of those words are truly appropriate but I can't find a better one) The OG is an excellent IEM and an outstanding value - The Noire is a refinement. When the new ConX Pentaconn Ear Connectors show up I'll sit down with pen and paper and start making proper comparative notes. Burn 'em in - they pretty outstanding!
Hey Yea, I also bought an extra pair of ConX Pen Ear before their arrival for the AB testings. Also been tip rolling for the OG and I think TRN T Tips are pretty good there. I think the OG loves to get more gain to balance out the treble and the bass, too.

May 24, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #7,969 of 7,972
I found a really good correlation for the Noir’s

This is what i t comes to mind when I see and hear the Noir compared to OG.

IMG_1125_jpg.jpeg

IMG_1151.jpeg

May 24, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #7,970 of 7,972
I found a really good correlation for the Noir’s

This is what i t comes to mind when I see and hear the Noir compared to OG.

IMG_1125_jpg.jpeg

IMG_1151.jpeg
Now, if I'm not mistaken, isn't that the same room where this man...
BW.gif

usually listens to his Noir for relaxation, after his work is done? :thinking:

May 24, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #7,971 of 7,972
Hi, I would like to share a little more of my impressions of the two Pilgrims. :sweat_smile:

I think it is easier to explain with the aid of this FR graph I posted elsewhere:
1716595006496.png

Orange: Pilgrim:Noir aligned with the Pilgrim OG with reference to the treble region
Cyan: Pilgrim OG's FR with 1k set to 0dB
Purple: Pilgrim:Noir's FR with 1k set to 0db

__________________________________________________________________________________Pilgrim: NoirPilgrim OG
TrebleWith reference to the Orange and Cyan FR graphs, the amount of treble at first glance depends on the playback volume and they maybe seen equal. However, the treble air is actually not reflected by these graphs and it sounds to my ear that the Noir is crossed with a low pass filter with a higher capacitance thus giving a earlier cut in the treble. IMO this earlier cut (lower corner frequency) gives less air and height to the sound in exchange for a more realistic sound. The vocal is allowed to give a lusher, smoother and denser reproduction.Again, since it cannot be reflected on the graph, the treble air of the OG sounds to my ears that it is cut relatively later than the Noir (higher corner frequency) thus giving more air. Probably due to the lesser number of drivers and more air, the OG has a less dense presentation and a slightly taller stage and outwards extended reach. However, this can give the sound a bit of artificial colouring and steals a bit of the focus from the core of the vocal sound and having a stronger focus in the air of the vocal speech.
MidsAt the same comfy loudness, the Noir has more mids and a smaller difference in dB relatively to the treble compared to the OG which gives the sound a fuller and smoother presentation as the treble has a stronger mid support. The mids are tuned quite adequately and the sound is not anywhere muddy but soulful.Since there is a larger loudness difference between the treble and the mids region, the precepted amount of mids is less here compared to the Noir. This allows more breathing room for the frequencies and the treble takes over in the mix giving a faster, snappier and more spacious presentation overall.
BassAgain, the bass at the same comfy loudness, has a higher dB compared to the OG. Although it is clear that the bass region between the NOIR and OG are essentially the same, the Noir's bass is not only louder but also a little thicker and ever so slightly less snappy due to having less air and less gain in the treble. The bass gets a lot of punch without ever bleeding in the mids.As mentioned, the bass is ever so slightly thinner and snappier here the OG's treble being more airy and louder. In terms of texture they are almost identical but the OG can be precepted as having less bass due to the different balance between the treble and the bass (and mids).
Stage and TechnicalitiesThe stage is fairly wide but this is tune darker and blacker but slightly not as tall as the OG. The background is blacker than the OG and allows the listener to focus more on the main macro side of the mix, despite sharing a very similar technicalities as the OG, which both give a good amount of detail.The stage is slightly wider (or almost identical) and taller than the Noir. With more air and treble present and less mids, there is more space between notes. Again, it is fairly similar to the Noir in terms of technicality but there is a stronger focus in the air or the upper treble region of the spectrum so giving it a slightly more revealing sense. And to give a better balance between the treble and bass, I find the OG to sound best at higher gain.
Stock Cable and tipsThe stock cable is a variant of the Eros S and it's called the Eros S: Noir. The ES Noir has very good bass and treble response without sounding too bright. In terms of speed I find it to be faster than the original Eros S and Eros S 1st AE which allows the upper mid to sound fast enough, removing any sense of sluggishness. A very good pairing with the Pilgrim Noir IMHO.

As a review unit it didn't come with any tips but the Spinfit tips included with the OG are very good for the Noir. I also like Bamboo tips and TRN T Tips.
The stock cable is fairly bright but also has a good bass response. The sound is straightforward (which I actually prefer) and revealing. It allows the OG to have a good amount of space between notes but can get a bit hot in the treble sometimes.

The stock Spinfit tips still make the sound a little hot and I am still trying out other tips but TRN T tips are pretty good here which tames the treble a bit and also giving a more defined stage shape.
DesignThe NOIR is good looking and I like the all black and sand blasted colour scheme which is not prone to any scratches and fingerprints. The Pen Ear connector is sort of new to me and I kinda like it TBH. With all these ConX equipped cables available, it's a joy to do cable rolling.The OG is shiny but the partial mirror finishing is a bit prone to scratches and fingerprints. It can reflect an interesting spiral totem if you have the faceplate pointing at a surface at an angle, lol. Again, the Pen Ear connector is very welcoming.
Mini ConclusionPersonally I prefer the tuning of the NOIR over the OG but they are both pretty good. The NOIR has a more realistic timbre and blacker background and also more precepted bass. The denser mids IMO makes it slightly cable picky and the mids can get too much and slower in speed resulting occasional sluggishness with some cables but the Eros S Noir is a very good match for it already.The OG is the brighter brother of the Noir and can get a little hot sometimes. However it is more airy and can be more beneficial listening to instruments and vocal with a lower voice to enhance the separation by giving more air to the mix.

More impressions with other cables and possibly tips later! Cheers!

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #7,972 of 7,972
Hi, I would like to share a little more of my impressions of the two Pilgrims. :sweat_smile:

I think it is easier to explain with the aid of this FR graph I posted elsewhere:
1716595006496.png
Orange: Pilgrim:Noir aligned with the Pilgrim OG with reference to the treble region
Cyan: Pilgrim OG's FR with 1k set to 0dB
Purple: Pilgrim:Noir's FR with 1k set to 0db

__________________________________________________________________________________Pilgrim: NoirPilgrim OG
TrebleWith reference to the Orange and Cyan FR graphs, the amount of treble at first glance depends on the playback volume and they maybe seen equal. However, the treble air is actually not reflected by these graphs and it sounds to my ear that the Noir is crossed with a low pass filter with a higher capacitance thus giving a earlier cut in the treble. IMO this earlier cut (lower corner frequency) gives less air and height to the sound in exchange for a more realistic sound. The vocal is allowed to give a lusher, smoother and denser reproduction.Again, since it cannot be reflected on the graph, the treble air of the OG sounds to my ears that it is cut relatively later than the Noir (higher corner frequency) thus giving more air. Probably due to the lesser number of drivers and more air, the OG has a less dense presentation and a slightly taller stage and outwards extended reach. However, this can give the sound a bit of artificial colouring and steals a bit of the focus from the core of the vocal sound and having a stronger focus in the air of the vocal speech.
MidsAt the same comfy loudness, the Noir has more mids and a smaller difference in dB relatively to the treble compared to the OG which gives the sound a fuller and smoother presentation as the treble has a stronger mid support. The mids are tuned quite adequately and the sound is not anywhere muddy but soulful.Since there is a larger loudness difference between the treble and the mids region, the precepted amount of mids is less here compared to the Noir. This allows more breathing room for the frequencies and the treble takes over in the mix giving a faster, snappier and more spacious presentation overall.
BassAgain, the bass at the same comfy loudness, has a higher dB compared to the OG. Although it is clear that the bass region between the NOIR and OG are essentially the same, the Noir's bass is not only louder but also a little thicker and ever so slightly less snappy due to having less air and less gain in the treble. The bass gets a lot of punch without ever bleeding in the mids.As mentioned, the bass is ever so slightly thinner and snappier here the OG's treble being more airy and louder. In terms of texture they are almost identical but the OG can be precepted as having less bass due to the different balance between the treble and the bass (and mids).
Stage and TechnicalitiesThe stage is fairly wide with but this is tune darker and blacker but slightly not as tall as the OG. The background is blacker than the OG and allows the listener to focus more on the main macro side of the mix, despite sharing a very similar technicalities as the OG, which both give a good amount of detail.The stage is slightly wider (or almost identical) and taller than the Noir. With more air and treble present and less mids, there is more space between notes. Again, it is fairly similar to the Noir in terms of technicality but there is a stronger focus in the air or the upper treble region of the spectrum so giving it a slightly more revealing sense. And to give a better balance between the treble and bass, I find the OG to sound best at higher gain.
Stock Cable and tipsThe stock cable is a variant of the Eros S and it's called the Eros S: Noir. The ES Noir has very good bass and treble response without sounding too bright. In terms of speed I find it to be faster than the original Eros S and Eros S 1st AE which allows the upper mid to sound fast enough, removing any sense of sluggishness. A very good pairing with the Pilgrim Noir IMHO.

As a review unit it didn't come with any tips but the Spinfit tips included with the OG are very good for the Noir. I also like Bamboo tips and TRN T Tips.
The stock cable is fairly bright but also has a good bass response. The sound is straightforward (which I actually prefer) and revealing. It allows the OG to have a good amount of space between notes but can get a bit hot in the treble sometimes.

The stock Spintips still make the sound a little hot and I am still trying out other tips but TRN T tips are pretty good here which tames the treble a bit and also giving a more defined stage shape.
DesignThe NOIR is good looking and I like the all black and sand blasted colour scheme which is not prone to any scratches and fingerprints. The Pen Ear connector is sort of new to me and I kinda like it TBH. With all these ConX equipped cables available, it's a joy to do cable rolling.The OG is shiny but the partial mirror finishing is a bit prone to scratches and fingerprints. It can reflect an interesting spiral totem if you have the faceplate pointing at a surface at an angle, lol. Again, the Pen Ear connector is very welcoming.
Mini ConclusionPersonally I prefer the tuning of the NOIR over the OG but they are both pretty good. The NOIR has a more realistic timbre and blacker background and also more precepted bass. The denser mids IMO makes it slightly cable picky and the mids can get too much and slower in speed resulting occasional sluggishness with some cables but the Eros S Noir is a very good match for it already.The OG is the brighter brother of the Noir and can get a little hot sometimes. However it is more airy and can be more beneficial listening to instruments and vocal with a lower voice to enhance the separation by giving more air to the mix.

More impressions with other cables and possibly tips later! Cheers!
very comprehensive report : Nice:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back