Epic Headphone Event! Chicago - October 27th
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2018 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

bobfa

Head-Fier
Audio Consultants hosted a headphone event in the Evanston store on October 27, 2018. I was able to attend and thought I would share my experience.

I have only been to a few headphone events, and this experience was different. The in-store event was more personal and a lot quieter. It was relaxing. I was able to talk to the vendors and listen to the headphones!

My primary goals were to audition to the Audeze LCDi4 headphones and to get an introduction to the new Transparent Audio headphone cable system.

This post will be a very casual report. I did not take a lot of pictures I should have. As I write this, I am a bit "under the weather" so I take that into account. As an introduction I give you the Sennheiser HE-1:

More on this at the end.

On towards my goals:

Evan from Audeze was there with his stable of headphones and gear along with his considerable experience and knowledge. I listened to the LCDi4 with their factory cable upgrade. I used my Poly/Mojo and Evans' Hugo 2. Even with a few software issues on my setup, I was able to get a good feel for them. For me, the LCDi4 appear to be the perfect match for my mobile system of iPhone or iPhone + Poly/Mojo. They are comfortable, and the soundstage and reproduction feel a lot like my HD800's and the portability meets my use cases. As a side note, I spent a short time with the Hugo 2 hooked up to the LCDi4 and while there is a family resemblance to the Mojo I am now sure that the Hugo 2 is a mighty nice big brother. There is never enough time to experience this equipment.

IMG_0285.jpg IMG_0286.jpg

Bob from Transparent Audio was there demonstrating the new modular headphone cable system they are releasing. The ends of the cables are interchangeable for use with different headphones and different amp connections including single-ended and balanced connection systems. The demo was using a laptop driving an Ayre QX-8 and switching between two pairs of Audeze LCD3 headphones. Listening to some Jazz Vocals; the cable set markedly improved the soundstage. It brought out the backup vocals and enhanced the realism of the whole performance! A lot is going on here that 15 min of listening cannot reveal. I cannot wait to spend some real time with the final version of this cable on my HD800 cans. Sorry, no pictures until they get it "perfect and final."

A short listen to some Shure gear.

IMG_0281.jpg

I did a brief listening session with the Shure KES1500 electrostatic system. They are more comfortable than my SE535 IEMs as they are smaller and fit my ears better. I would need a lot more time to evaluate the sound as I was having source issues. I heard NOTHING that I did not like.

Shure also brought the SRH-1540 and the SRH-1840 headphones. I only listened to the open-back 1840. Put these on your list of headphones to audition to before you buy. I found them very light and comfortable. Shure was demoing the 1540/1840 on their SHA900 Portable Listening Amplifier. I also listened to the 1840 's with my Poly/Mojo, and they did well.

Spoiler Alert!

And to finish off the listening.

IMG_0284.jpg

I was able to spend some quality time with the Sennheiser HE-1 system sourced with a Boulder 1021 network player!

The HE-1 might ruin your current headphone listening system for you. Do you understand the statement of getting the last 1% out of something? I am beginning to think that is what Sennheiser is driving towards with the HE-1. My wife was happy that we are not part of that last 1%! And I get to still live at home.

To cap the day off, I won a Shure hat in a raffle. Simple pleasures.

IMG_0288.jpg

Thanks for listening.
Bob Fairbairn

Shot on iPhone. Made on a Mac.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0280.jpg