FLUX Mentor Class-A dual-mono headphone amplifier.
May 20, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #1,036 of 1,050
Tinker with cables and power cords. I'm run a Supra LoRad copper power cord on my Pontus and the bass tightens up. With a Supra LoRAD silver cable, the soundstage gets bigger, more detail, but the bass softens. I have both silver and copper but prefer the copper on both my Pontus and Denafrips Artemis headphone amp, because of the bass.
I got the LoRAD 3x2.5 bluish copper cable for my Pontus and I concur. The bass punches and everything is a lot sweeter and even tames the chained Mentor's sharpness without losing nearly any resolution. Notes sustain a bit longer, but the background's still black. I might not even need an M-Field.

May 21, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #1,037 of 1,050
I got the LoRAD 3x2.5 bluish copper cable for my Pontus and I concur. The bass punches and everything is a lot sweeter and even tames the chained Mentor's sharpness without losing nearly any resolution. Notes sustain a bit longer, but the background's still black. I might not even need an M-Field.
Glad it worked out. With that you might even look at the cables connecting your equipment.

Generally speaking, silver-based cables / cords enhance treble, detail and soundstage; copper usually mid bass / bass, while making the soundstage more intimate (decreased soundstage). Again, generally speaking and also depending on equipment.

In the end it really comes down to what you favor. I prefer a wider stage and added micro-detail a hybrid copper / silver-based cable brings. But that's my system.

May 21, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #1,038 of 1,050
You haven’t burnt in the Mentor yet. The sibilance will be gone after about 50 hours or so.
It's happened. welp, time to tweak the chain some more haha

May 21, 2024 at 4:19 AM Post #1,039 of 1,050
For the Mentor the Neotech [NEP-5002] upgrade cable Flux builds in house is fantastic but if you didnt get one I'd still buy an upgraded power cable. At least a Wireworld.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #1,040 of 1,050
Just like to share my initial thoughts. In short: The hype is real. This amp is an absolute bargain and stands up very well against the big boys.
I´m in early stage of testing and trying (~50 hrs burn in) and only heard the Final D8000 (OG) with it, but I´m really impressed so far.
There are some minor quirks wich I had already with other Flux amps (FA-10) but sound wise its endgame level.

Using the remote is really annoying because its very difficult to do single volume steps with it.
You have to try several times pressing the knob as short as possible to not jump immediately two steps up or down.
I really don't like the step up algorithm. Its absolute nonsense to increase the volume steps at some point. I often have a hard time
finetuning the listening level to my comfort because I end up being in the volume zone where one step up is too high and one down
to low. Lastly I do not like that the pot is not motorized and so you can´t see at wich volume level you actually are when using the remote.

Despite that its an amazing amp and compared to my other amps it doesn't stand behind in terms of sound quality
and that for a fraction of the cost. Like all audio gear you have to pair it right, than you can achive the same level of performace
like a well paired Holo Audio Bliss or Paltauf HPA-100. Its all a matter of taste, but technically MENTOR is capable to do it all.

IMG_2099.JPEG

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #1,041 of 1,050
Just like to share my initial thoughts. In short: The hype is real. This amp is an absolute bargain and stands up very well against the big boys.
I´m in early stage of testing and trying (~50 hrs burn in) and only heard the Final D8000 (OG) with it, but I´m really impressed so far.
There are some minor quirks wich I had already with other Flux amps (FA-10) but sound wise its endgame level.

Using the remote is really annoying because its very difficult to do single volume steps with it.
You have to try several times pressing the knob as short as possible to not jump immediately two steps up or down.
I really don't like the step up algorithm. Its absolute nonsense to increase the volume steps at some point. I often have a hard time
finetuning the listening level to my comfort because I end up being in the volume zone where one step up is too high and one down
to low. Lastly I do not like that the pot is not motorized and so you can´t see at wich volume level you actually are when using the remote.

Despite that its an amazing amp and compared to my other amps it doesn't stand behind in terms of sound quality
and that for a fraction of the cost. Like all audio gear you have to pair it right, than you can achive the same level of performace
like a well paired Holo Audio Bliss or Paltauf HPA-100. Its all a matter of taste, but technically MENTOR is capable to do it all.

IMG_2099.JPEG
Some serious gear here. I was recently inspecting Aqua products and especially LinQ module streamer. For now, it's out of my price range, but one day maybe.. They plan to release module for Apple Music, that would be awesome.

Also how much Mentor really holds against Paltauf HPA-100? If possible would you please compare those two where the difference lies? That is another monster costing more than tripple of the Mentor. I would expect Paltauf to be in different league, no matter how much I love my Mentor :). Nevertheless that's another amazing achievement to Mentor if they are so close.

May 24, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #1,042 of 1,050

IMG_2099.JPEG
What are your thoughts when using Susvara with the Mentor? What do you think of other headphone/DAC pairings with the Mentor? I have one Mentor and am considering purchasing Susvara to go with it.

May 24, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #1,043 of 1,050
Some serious gear here. I was recently inspecting Aqua products and especially LinQ module streamer. For now, it's out of my price range, but one day maybe.. They plan to release module for Apple Music, that would be awesome.

Also how much Mentor really holds against Paltauf HPA-100? If possible would you please compare those two where the difference lies? That is another monster costing more than tripple of the Mentor. I would expect Paltauf to be in different league, no matter how much I love my Mentor :). Nevertheless that's another amazing achievement to Mentor if they are so close.

Paltauf HPA-100 is a hybrid (tube/ss) , so a comparison is difficult, but the mentor holds up very well. But it is far too early to tell exact differences, maybe a few weeks
later. The HPA-100 is the most dynamic, natural and holographic amp I heard so far, especially with Susvara.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #1,044 of 1,050
What are your thoughts when using Susvara with the Mentor? What do you think of other headphone/DAC pairings with the Mentor? I have one Mentor and am considering purchasing Susvara to go with it.
I did not test it yet, because I have no plans usings it with Susvara because it couldn´t get better than the pairing with the Paltauf. Maybe I´ll try it just for fun ...
To get the most out of MENTOR I would (like others said already) pair it with a slightly warm dac with best possible dynamic range and soundstage.
I have a CYAN 2 incoming and have high expectations for that pairing but it sounds incredible with VMV D2R as well.

May 24, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #1,045 of 1,050
At least you get an option for a remote. With my Denafrips DAC and headphone amp there is no remote option. It's hand or nothing. Meanwhile, with my Teac VRDS 701 CD player / DAC, I use the remote like it's a lost lover I missed :smile:

Anyway, nice setup you have there.

May 24, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #1,046 of 1,050

IMG_2099.JPEG
nice collection you got there

May 24, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #1,047 of 1,050
I did not test it yet, because I have no plans usings it with Susvara because it couldn´t get better than the pairing with the Paltauf. Maybe I´ll try it just for fun ...
To get the most out of MENTOR I would (like others said already) pair it with a slightly warm dac with best possible dynamic range and soundstage.
I have a CYAN 2 incoming and have high expectations for that pairing but it sounds incredible with VMV D2R as well.
This is why OG sounds so good with it.

May 24, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #1,048 of 1,050
Susvara on a single Mentor is probably not going to be as good the Paltauf but the dual mono is a different beast.

May 24, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #1,050 of 1,050
How's yours sounding. Just curious?
It has the black quiet background, very detailed in all frequencies particularly lower frequencies, large sound stage, and unlike the single Mentor the dual has more body to the bass and mid. You can get close to it by preamping the single Mentor with a tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back