Focal Bathys Hi-Fi Bluetooth & ANC Headphones: Early Impressions
May 22, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,727 of 1,739
When using my Bathys wirelessly with either my Samsung phone or A&K Kann Alpha, suitable volume choices are a bit limited. I often have to choose between too loud or too soft, no matter if I change volume on the source device or the Bathys. Does anyone know a setting I can change so I can make smaller (like 1 or 2dB) volume adjustments?

I posted earlier - for Samsung phones install their sound assistant app. It lets you set the number of volume steps. If the Kann is Android then USB Audio Player Pro or Poweramp have options, otherwise uncouple volume control between phone and headset (check my earlier post for details).

May 22, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #1,728 of 1,739
I posted earlier - for Samsung phones install their sound assistant app. It lets you set the number of volume steps. If the Kann is Android then USB Audio Player Pro or Poweramp have options, otherwise uncouple volume control between phone and headset (check my earlier post for details).
OK, thanks so much! On my Samsung phone, I went into Developer Options and disabled absolute volume. I installed Sound Assistant (from Good Lock) and changed step volume to 2 (from 10). As a result, I now have fine control of volume when using Bathys with my phone. My A&K Kann Alpha is not Android, but the volume issue is not so bad; I can live with it as is.

May 23, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #1,729 of 1,739
I definitely prefer the B&W look and after I've seen what happend to white versions of Wireless Bang and Olufsens after few years of use I'd never buy a white themed mobile model :)
The b&w look much better on the head I would agree there. I saw a chap out and about with Bathys in London and all my self conscious fears wearing them were revealed, they were huge and he looked like a “cyberman” as john darko put it in his 5909 vs bathys comparison….

But off the head and purely from a design standpoint I think the Dune Bathys are the nicest looking ANC headphone ive ever seen.

On a side note, Ive ordered the Azurys and will post some comparisons to Bathys soon.

I'm a bit dissapointed in Bathys ANC+ isolation, I tested in a cafe today and my airpods pro 2 definately block out noticably more noise especially sharper sounds. I was hoping Azurys might have better passive isolation but it seems to be worse, alas!

There is always a compromise with these protable/ANC products.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #1,730 of 1,739
AptX / Adaptive is so far ahead on Android than AAC on Apple. AAC is restricted to Apple devices which is why I use Bathys DAC mode + cable on iPhone (15).
I've been noticing this lately. I have Airpods Max and Bathys, and honestly when going via AAC I don't think the Bathys sounds any better than the Apple headphones, actually I think the APM may edge it on AAC.... Then in DAC mode it really shines and becomes absolutely superb, and noticably better than APM.

It makes me wonder if I should get the w5 bluetooth thingie for my iPhone...Would be curious to try Aptx HD.

Apple are clever. Force AAC on their phones, so when their users try BT headphones they pale compared to their own Airpods, simply because they've optimised AAC so well for their own devices.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #1,731 of 1,739
It makes me wonder if I should get the w5 bluetooth thingie for my iPhone...Would be curious to try Aptx HD.

The Creative W5? It works great for the Bathys from my MacBook sending out aptX Adaptive (the Bathys does not use aptX HD), plugged into a powered USB hub running from an OWC Thunderbolt dock. I haven't tried it with my iPhone 15 Pro and iPad, but Creative says it will not work with either. Maybe it's the power requirement.

The W5 won't fit on my iPhone because of the protective case I use on the phone, so I'd have to take it out of the case and test it - or get a USB-C male to female extension cable. Not worth the hassle anyway, because I'd rather use a USB C cable to connect the phone and Bathys for higher-quality sound than Bluetooth. The W5 is large enough that it would protrude pretty far from the bottom of the iPhone and I'd worry about snapping it off accidentally and ruining the W5 and even the phone.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #1,733 of 1,739
I've been noticing this lately. I have Airpods Max and Bathys, and honestly when going via AAC I don't think the Bathys sounds any better than the Apple headphones, actually I think the APM may edge it on AAC.... Then in DAC mode it really shines and becomes absolutely superb, and noticably better than APM.

Apple are clever. Force AAC on their phones, so when their users try BT headphones they pale compared to their own Airpods, simply because they've optimised AAC so well for their own devices.
The W5 is pretty good and adaptive is a solid step up from AAC for me, but you need one of the USB-C iphones as it draws too much power for the camera adapter on the lightning ones unless using the USB3 with external power. Even plain aptX is a solid step up from AAC on Bathys in my opinion as I find the Bathys to have a pretty bad AAC implementation. Normally plain aptX and AAC are just lateral changes with different parts of the music being removed.

May 24, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #1,734 of 1,739
they were huge and he looked like a “cyberman”
Heh, I'm almost completely past "what will people think" period. Give me another 10 years and I won't care at all :) I've been out and about with Fostex th610 (not very wise as they are almost open) so Bathys are a really portable design compared with those monsters.

Apple are clever. Force AAC on their phones,
Not mentioning using a proprietary plug for years and selling cables 10+ times the price of a normal one :)

There is always a compromise with these protable/ANC products.

I really like the compromise they reached. The low thudding of train/bus/traffic is eliminated and that was always the biggest flaw of using mobile headphones. They are maybe not so great with human chatter, but the upside is that Focal's ANC doesn't distort music and the pressure is low enough to make it bearable for those more sensitive like me.

May 25, 2024 at 4:13 AM Post #1,736 of 1,739

Contrary to others responses, you can use the w5 with a lightning port iPhone, you just have to use an unofficial lightning to USB ADAPTER. THE OFFICIALS ONES WILL GIVE THE POWER DRAW MESSAGE, BUT THIRD PARTY ADAPTERS WILL WORK.... AND GET WARM. I'VE USED ONE WITH MY 13 MINI SINCE RELEASE OF THE BATHYS.

May 25, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #1,737 of 1,739

You should try APTX. That's what I listen to on my android phone

May 26, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #1,738 of 1,739
You should try APTX. That's what I listen to on my android phone
Bt W5 arrived today, trying aptx-hd. Yeah, huge improvement over AAC. Pretty insane performance you can get out of this in bluetooth now. Makes me wonder about LDAC, Bathys 2 I guess :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back