Hifiman Serenade - Himalaya Pro R2R DAC headamp all-in-one
May 29, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #257 of 261
Figured I could be the guinea pig and ordered the new Hymalaya board upgrade for the Serenade (Pro Gold R2R assembly upgrade).

It's just now on its way, so it will be a minute before I get it back. I'll report back here once I get a chance to listen to it for a bit.
Thinking about ordering the gold upgrade for my EF400 as well.

May 29, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #258 of 261
Any of you ever compared Serenade to EF600 when used as a DAC only? I don't need the amp section so I'm tempted by the EF600 for it's form factor (and headphone stand) but my primary priority is sound quality so I would not get the EF600 if DAC wise the Serenade performs better.

As well, if any of you heard the AudioGD R1NOS, I'd be happy to read your feedback as I'm also considering it.

May 29, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #259 of 261
Any of you ever compared Serenade to EF600 when used as a DAC only? I don't need the amp section so I'm tempted by the EF600 for it's form factor (and headphone stand) but my primary priority is sound quality so I would not get the EF600 if DAC wise the Serenade performs better.
If I'm not mistaken, they have the same DAC.
Serenade.png EF600.png
I had the opportunity to listen to both of them.
As a complete DAC/AMP solution, I liked the sound of the HIFIMAN EF600 better.
The HIFIMAN HE1000-Stealth Magnet (XLR) + EF600 combination sounds musical, full-bodied, detailed, and driving.
The only limitation in my HIFIMAN EF600 system is that it is very loud when connected via USB. You will need to be able to adjust the volume level on the source. I have a HIFIMAN EF600 connected via USB to Roon Nucleus Plus (ROCK) and for me setting the volume control to 10.00 is already very loud.
Roon.png
Otherwise, for the price this is an excellent solution!

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #260 of 261
As a complete DAC/AMP solution, I liked the sound of the HIFIMAN EF600 better. The HIFIMAN HE1000-S (XLR) + EF600 combination sounds musical, full-bodied, detailed, and driving.
I find the ef400 to be far better value then the ef600, and more or less on par with ef600. But then again I didnt particularly like either of them. Maybe ill try serenade one day.

May 29, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #261 of 261
Come to notice the upgrade option thanks to the posting here. Some headfiers here liked serenade as much as highly regarded R26. Wonder how the new himalaya R2R chip compares to gustard R26. Please share your impression how serenade sounds with a new upgrade chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back