Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
May 23, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #1,291 of 1,298
Hi guys,

I just received my unit yesterday (MAY KTE + Red) and am currently in break-in process. However, I find that the DAC unit runs very hot (well... not too hot to the touch but hotter than usual). I also have Denafrips Terminator Plus and I thought it ran hot... until I have the May KTE, and it's different story as the May runs significantly warmer.

I'm thinking of getting a high quality/ low-RPM fan e.g., some Noctua fans to blow the air over, but then I realize... if anything, doing so only cooling down the case, but its' inside the case that's hot and the case has zero ventilation port.

As where I live, with no AC on the room temp can go very high (up to 40C), so I'm unsure leaving it in "standby" mode while not in use will significantly wear the components.

Anybody in hot climate leaving this in standby while not in use (and you are away so the AC is off)? How long have you had the unit and have you guys run into any problems?
No issue. The May runs hot. When in standby it is cool. I have mine stacked with Bliss and do not use a fan. You may need to cool the room, but may should be fine.

May 23, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #1,292 of 1,298
I just received my unit yesterday (MAY KTE + Red) and am currently in break-in process. However, I find that the DAC unit runs very hot (well... not too hot to the touch but hotter than usual).
if you just received it how do you know that the DAC unit runs "hotter than usual"? Have you experienced a cooler running DAC unit temperature from a friends?

May 24, 2024 at 12:22 AM Post #1,293 of 1,298
if you just received it how do you know that the DAC unit runs "hotter than usual"? Have you experienced a cooler running DAC unit temperature from a friends?
As in "usual" I don't mean to compare with other MAY unit, and I just mean it runs warmer than my other DACs (i.e., Terminator Plus / Ayre QB9 Twenty). From my research, I'm aware that May runs hot but I don't expect this kind of temperature. It's particularly warm on the side panel. In any case, if it's cooler when standing by that's fine. Haven't put it in stand by yet as I want it to pass break-in period ASAP.

May 24, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #1,294 of 1,298
As in "usual" I don't mean to compare with other MAY unit, and I just mean it runs warmer than my other DACs (i.e., Terminator Plus / Ayre QB9 Twenty). From my research, I'm aware that May runs hot but I don't expect this kind of temperature. It's particularly warm on the side panel. In any case, if it's cooler when standing by that's fine. Haven't put it in stand by yet as I want it to pass break-in period ASAP.
In standby mode it is completely cool.

May 24, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #1,295 of 1,298
I see.
While I have the Spring3 KTE I find the top (metal casing) to run slightly warm - but I've never felt the side panels. With that said, copper is one of the most dissipating metals, so it would make sense for the sides to be warmer than the rest of the metal casing.

May 24, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #1,296 of 1,298
In standby mode it is completely cool.
Great, that's cool (pun intended)!

I see.
While I have the Spring3 KTE I find the top (metal casing) to run slightly warm - but I've never felt the side panels. With that said, copper is one of the most dissipating metals, so it would make sense for the sides to be warmer than the rest of the metal casing.
That makes sense. If you guys never run into any trouble that's a bit relief.

Now I will see whether I will like the Termie Plus or May KTE more and will let one go. The Termie Plus has been with me for about 2 years (left on/in stand by almost all the time) with no issue.

May 24, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #1,298 of 1,298
Would be curious what you decide to let go - including the Terminator, unless you use two DACs for different systems.
I will know soon enough mate... If I let go the T+, it will be with great loss, as individually the set costed more than the Holo. The DAC, the Hermes DDC, and BNC link cables for syncing the T+ clock with the DDC ($920 each). Maybe at 45-50% discount to be able to let all these go.

I won't keep both as I only have one headphones system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back