Innuos Phoenix USB Reclocker
May 28, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #286 of 288
Cheers fellas, glad it’s working for you both too.

And to Phoenix owners, apologies for the slightly OT chat I’ve prompted, but I’d be interested to hear someone else try it with their Phoenix, fancy Sean Jacobs PSU and all…

May 31, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #287 of 288
This is probably the only box I have seen that looks like it would be a good stack with a V280 :D

I'm thinking about a Mutec when I get some money but it would also be used for rate conversions not just reclocking.

Jun 1, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #288 of 288
This is probably the only box I have seen that looks like it would be a good stack with a V280 :D

I'm thinking about a Mutec when I get some money but it would also be used for rate conversions not just reclocking.
Mutec make excellent and IMHO industry leading clocks and the re-clocking of signals using Mutec devices on exactly the same signal type (eg AES/EBU in to AES/EBU out) is astoundingly good with air, timbre and transients better than the un-clocked signal. However, even "just" changing formats (eg AES-EBU to SPDIF on the MC3+USB with the SE120 clocking it) the format is not quite as good as the original. Hard to put a finger on it but it just sounds worse than the original signal. So I would not use a Mutec to change formats let alone change the sample rate. Reclocking the same signal....YES, most definitely.

Sample rate conversions are handled VERY WELL by the offline PGGB software and the latest version even allows you to change the base clocking rate. So CD sample rate of 44.1kHz can be changed to, say, 192kHz (a multiple of 48kHz) with amazing results. Of course you need disk space, computing power, and time (lots of it too) to do this effectively but will be a lot better than the Mutec hardware offering that attempts the same thing in realtime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back