LAiV Harmony R2R DAC Impression and Reviews
May 24, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #211 of 221
Just doing some early testing up against the Daves Dac only. Using Holo audio red streamer, two coaxial outputs: the one BNC output going into Dave BNC input and the other spdif output going into Laiv spdif input both using the exact same cables. I am then using identical sets of rca cables for both Dave and Laiv going into a two way audio switcher and then a set of rca cables going out into a separate headamp in this case Singxer SA-1 with cap Mod and using Erzetich Charybdis headphones. This way I can instantly switch between Dave and Laiv. Still very early and more listening to do but for the price of the Laiv it's doing a fine job.
You mean DC jumper mod? Looking forward to the results

May 24, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #212 of 221
3 things actually bothered me and prevent me to take the plunge:
- The high output impedance (1200 Ohms) which may represent a difficult load to drive when connecting directly to a power amp with 10KOhm imput impedance
- No AES EBU digital entry: Why in hell the best digital imput is not implemented in this DAC ?
- No volume control
AES is not the best digital input by any stretch. It is subject to long run degradation and requires synchronous clocking which is another rabbit hole over who has the best clock or DDC. It is a pro connection for the grounding/shielding and stable connector inherent in its design for consoles and studios.

Why are you connecting it to a power amp? This what pre-amps are for? Do you understand why O/I for transmission is high? Look into it.

May 24, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #213 of 221
Published my review on both head-Fi and YouTube.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/laiv-harmony-r2r-dac.27250/reviews#review-34005

In Summary

Soundstage to me was a standout. User experience from unboxing, setting up and usage was great. Sound is a little more laid back. Generally as good as anything I compared with except for the soundstage which was notably better and one of the largest I heard so far.

May 24, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #214 of 221
AES is not the best digital input by any stretch. It is subject to long run degradation and requires synchronous clocking which is another rabbit hole over who has the best clock or DDC. It is a pro connection for the grounding/shielding and stable connector inherent in its design for consoles and studios.

Why are you connecting it to a power amp? This what pre-amps are for? Do you understand why O/I for transmission is high? Look into it.
I have a DDC with reclocking function which has AES as best output = So no issue with reclocking, and AES definitely the best output/imput for me
I do not have a preamp - what for ? Digital volume control is now well understood and unless you apply stupidly high attenuation, there is no losses whatsoever. So preamp is useless

May 24, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #215 of 221
Published my review on both head-Fi and YouTube.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/laiv-harmony-r2r-dac.27250/reviews#review-34005

In Summary

Soundstage to me was a standout. User experience from unboxing, setting up and usage was great. Sound is a little more laid back. Generally as good as anything I compared with except for the soundstage which was notably better and one of the largest I heard so far.
Can you make a direct link to YouTube?
I'm now watching it on Rosetube so I can't get the link.

May 24, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #216 of 221
May 24, 2024 at 10:11 PM Post #217 of 221
I have a DDC with reclocking function which has AES as best output = So no issue with reclocking, and AES definitely the best output/imput for me
I do not have a preamp - what for ? Digital volume control is now well understood and unless you apply stupidly high attenuation, there is no losses whatsoever. So preamp is useless
I think you are only speaking from your specific situation and preferences. Not general opinions or uses. Keywords: "for me".
You state: "AES is the best output". Not true
You should have stated: " I think AES is the best output from my DDC". True.

You are also pretty opinionated on the use of a preamp. You bought a dedicated poweramp. Not an integrated amp. Now you expect everyone to agree with you, contrary to decades of agreement, that you can use a poweramp without a preamp. You should have gotten an integrated. Or get a passive preamp with a volume pot.

I really do not expect an upscale dedicated discrete R2R DAC to be equipped with a digital volume control. You know why? Because an R2R dac has a minimal output stage that keeps the signal as pure as possible. A digital volume has to be done before the R2R ladder. Therefore discarding bitdepth. So you are going from 24 bit to 14 bit, 12 bit or 8 bit, depending on your volume position. That is a very bad and stupid way to attenuate a high power poweramp without volume.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #219 of 221
Thanks for the review. Big soundstage and laid back. Sounds like my style. Contemplating spending the $$$…. probably the most I’d be willing to shell out on DAC. Would prefer to spend it on bettet amp or new speakers.
Well the truth is dac differences are really small and do not alter the sound(nor meant to) in a big way. The speakers matters more then any other equipment in the chain. But if your chain is already up, then maybe a upgrade to the DAC is worth it for the pursuit of the last mile.

May 24, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #220 of 221
AES is not the best digital input by any stretch.
Connectivity is all personal & dependent on gear (not to mention Cable) choice. You might find the Audio Engineering Society (AES) and Euro Broadcasting Union (EBU) disagree on that front. There’s one opinion from a Digital designer though, that of more importance, is the care taken over the input/output devices themselves – rather than Cables.

RCA (& USB/HDMI) were never designed for Digital. BNC, AES & I2S were. It’s good to have choice to find out but most agree differences can be small. Personally I have always favoured all 3 of the above over USB/RCA/Optical. My (old) Digital CD Transport for example, does not offer RCA – only AES/BNC and 2 Opticals – Glass (now redundant) and what they politely called … Plastic.

May 24, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #221 of 221
I really do not expect an upscale dedicated discrete R2R DAC to be equipped with a digital volume control. You know why? Because an R2R dac has a minimal output stage that keeps the signal as pure as possible. A digital volume has to be done before the R2R ladder.
Not entirely correct (there is such a thing as Voltage Volume control – straight off Dac Chips to output) but I agree in that (for me at least) … a Passive Pre (not DSP) or at least a completely transparent one, will interfere much less or not at all, with Source signal info (as per Mr. 6 Moons). So the Preamp will be important imo (for my taste), as next link in the chain. That’s the advantage of a straight Dac – you can tailor sound to suit yourself downstream if purity of Source is secondary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back