Looking for suggestions for an amp that suits my needs (to replace my V281)
May 4, 2024 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PrTv

100+ Head-Fier
I'm now using Violectric V281 as a headphones amplifier + pre-amplifier and the setup is like this:
Dac > XLR out to V281 / V281 > XLR out to a tube power-amplifier

It has to be this was as I also have a Susvara and the V281 cannot drive it to the fullest, so I have a tube amp specifically made for the Susvara, but the tube amp functions like a power amplifier, so I have to have a pre-amplifier.

Below are my needs:
  • Want best possible /end game/TOTL (within reason... given my budget) with the budget of USD 12,000 (but don't mind if the candidates are cheaper... in fact the cheaper the better).
  • I LOVE warm-sounding and can't stand hot treble so analytical amps are truly not for me.
  • To use with Focal Utopia 2022 + ZMF Verite Closed / and potentially Atrium in the future. For Susvara I already have that tube amp so this candidate doesn't have to have a lot of "watt" to drive the Susvara.
  • I prefer the "XLR output" gain to be adjustable. As my Tube amp was built with very high gain (4X KT120 in push&pull), so I had to lower the pre-gain of my V281 to the lowest, otherwise, I will hear background noise through my Susvara.
  • Should be able to "turn off" headphones when not in use. I prefer to plug the headphones with the amplifier all the time so if I want to use the Susvara (the headphones amp as a pre-amp), I prefer to just "turn off" the headphones' output and switch to "line out".
Now V281 seems to answer all my needs above, but I want something better. With these requirements and restrictions, I don't see many options. Below are my shortlists:
  • Niimbus US5 pro > seems to be a logical upgrade and seems to retain all V281's features I love, but it seems more neutral/ bright, which is a show-stopper for me.
  • Ferrum OOR/Hypsos stack > seems to work wonder with the Utopia, but I'm afraid that its XLR ouput will be too hot for my KT120 Tube amp, and I can't turn off its headphones output (having to unplug the headphone cable), while using XLR output.
  • HM1 > reviews are excellent everywhere, but I'm unsure if it's too neutral to my liking. Also impossible to audition and wait time seems like eternity! Also unsure how well it pairs with Utopia 2022 and VC.

P.s. Mass-Kobo 465 is outstanding and might be the last amp I ever need, but with that price... this amp truly out of reach and illogical for me to buy.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back