Modding Moondrop cable from 2pin to 3,5mm jack
May 2, 2024 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

michcuv

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

please if there is anyone who can give me any insights where i might have mess up during the process? The thing is that back in the day my original Moondrop Kato cable somehow decided to stop work. Around the right 2 pin connector it got all green or whatever. See picture below.
2 pin connector
For that reason i just kept the cable but luckily for IEM´s i had some others. Due to other matters i decided to buy soldering station and i thought i have only one cable for headphone which is not that high quality anyhow, so i thought i just cuts off both 2 pin ends and solder 3,5mm instead. So i did and for some reason the left side is all good and playing very well, but the right part is not. And i have no clue why, i tried to do continuity test with multimeter and it seems all good. Below you may find more pictures i tried my best to take a good photos hopefully you can see something there.
Right 3,5mm jack that makes troubles
Another one just in case
In below picture you may see all 3 and the logic how i connect them together, i am not sure if the issue might be since the 3,5mm pin is that harder one to solder in case i mess up with the plastic between (TRS) T and R side the continuity test will still pass but might result in my case that right is not playing at all ?
Connection of 3,5mm pins
Or might it be indeed that the cable is somehow faulty because it stop working before and my original premise was incorrect that the issue was in 2 pin (or in other words at the end connector it self) and not the cable it self ? But then why continuity test is ok ? Alternatively is there any other way i can check it with multimeter, other then "beep" sound ?

Thank you for your help.

May 12, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 3
Please, don’t make my mistake. Take it to someone to do it for you….
Thank you for your reply, i thought there might be a glimps of possibility. Well in worst case i just leave it as it is or do trial and error. In my case it is not really about that i need the cable, i just want to learn how it works, or in my case does not 😃. But thank you for reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back