Music Paradise 701 MK2 Preamp and tube rolling
May 13, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #65 of 71
Mine was supposed to arrived today, but UPS ****ed up unfortunately. I hope tomorrow it'll finally arrive.

May 14, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #68 of 71
My unit finally arrived 😃
IMG_4553.jpeg
IMG_4555.jpeg

May 15, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #70 of 71
Well, it finally came today, but not too impressed so far. Here are some unpacking pictures that will show a few things that needs improvement, even before you get to the performance.
As I sit here , it’s been playing for about a hour. I have it temporarily setup on top shelf of my rack to make sure it’s a keeper before rearranging everything. It started out pretty dark sounding, but seems to be opening up.
It didn’t even include a manual, not even a spec sheet or tube rolling sheet for the switches.

Anyway I installed the stock tubes, cleaned off residue from the faceplate and sides that came off the foam packaging.
The preamp needs to be packed in a plastic bag, not just stick the foam directly on the sides. I had to use windex to get the sticky stuff off. I was hoping the paint was dry before they stuck the foam on.
Anyway it cleaned up nicely. The top cover needs a lot of damping, and I am not crazy about the three pointed feet. They could at least include some saucers.
I am actually surprised the eight screw holes for the cover lined up perfectly .

After setting it up in the system, I was a bit wary of turning it on and leaving it to warm up while I go take a shower, so I didn’t.
When I returned, and powered up, after about a minute, light smoke started to exit the top vents. I quickly turned it off and it actually continued to play for like another thirty seconds before it stopped.
So I guess it has a good power supply reserve.
Thinking oh crap, what now, I decided to remove the top cover again to maybe see exactly where the smoke was coming from.
But luckily, after the next power up there was no more smoke. So I guess maybe some residue from the tube pins or something else was burning off the first time.

So I guess I have seven days to decide if it’s a keeper, which isn’t much time. But I will probably keep it as long as there is no more smoke.

Attachments

• IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1540.jpeg
    IMG_1540.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1541.jpeg
    IMG_1541.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1543.jpeg
    IMG_1543.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1547.jpeg
    IMG_1547.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 15, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #71 of 71
Oh, two other things, I used input 3 on the rear as my IC was a bit short to use number one. So I was expecting to set the selector switch to the third position. Well , input 3 came up on the first position. So not sure if it’s wired backwards or it was intentional.

Also, does the remote do anything besides volume?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back