New Member Introductions thread
May 12, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #15,556 of 15,569
-@Denis: You'll have to put some details of your old-skool systems in your user profile. -No, I haven't gotten around to doing it either yet. But I've got a cheapish/cheerful system in the apartment (that I need to get re-set up). And there are one or two full systems in the distant storage rooms. Glory-be! To think of the promised day I'll get all those things out and start dealing with them---sorting, fixing, selling, and--best--playing. . .

-@Rich: Are you using your IEMs with portable gear or also in a home computer-based setup. Which IEMs and what kinds of sources and amps (if you use them) are giving you joy?
Howdy Catachreis,

When I’m sitting/laying down for a good listening session, I tend to use my mini laptop (GPD Win Mini) paired with a Qudelix T71. When mobile, I tend to use my an iPhone paired with a Fiio Q11 when I need some umph, otherwise I use an Apple dongle or a generic USB-C to 4.4mm DAC I found on Amazon.

My favorite IEMs are the Sliivo SL41 and the Hidizs MP145, depending on what I’m listening to. When listening to audiobooks, I prefer the Kiwi Ears Cadenza because they are so comfortable. I also like the Tangzu Fudu when listening to classic rock.

Do you also enjoy IEMs?

May 12, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #15,558 of 15,569
long time lurker finally signed up after following the hd800 mod thread. My audio addiction got serious just before the UK lockdowns, a pair of grado sr80 quickly followed by meze 99 classics and many others since, then Dacs, iems and recently tune amps!

Recent Roon convert, I’m slightly mad and only use it with tidal but the seamless use and now arc for out of the home makes it well worth its monthly cost to me.

May 12, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #15,559 of 15,569
-@Warren: Ahh. This place is certainly supportive, and it will diminish some anxieties about Gear-Acquisition-Syndrome. But it won't help the addiction. Notice: members will introduce themselves, but nobody troubles to say, ". . .And I have terrible compulsions to acquire more audio equipment." I guess it's read as 'understood'. --Also, the Ten-Step programs tend to be about modding headphones and are lovingly accompanied with pictorial illustrations of each step.

Out of idle curiosity, Warren, have you ever head The Loud Family's indecently catchy power-pop single "Inverness"? I could never puzzle out whether Scott Miller ('poor Scott Miller) was referring to a hiatus away in Scotland or to some obscure, obscenely wealthy subdivision of Sacramento. I bring it up out of the scantiest of associative connections: the song's intro is bitter, whimsical, unforgettable, and I first heard it in an RTE broadcasting promo in Dublin sometime in the early 2000s.
I can stop upgrading any time I want. After just two more things :)

May 12, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #15,560 of 15,569
When I’m sitting/laying down for a good listening session, I tend to use my mini laptop (GPD Win Mini) paired with a Qudelix T71. When mobile, I tend to use my an iPhone paired with a Fiio Q11 when I need some umph, otherwise I use an Apple dongle or a generic USB-C to 4.4mm DAC I found on Amazon.

My favorite IEMs are the Sliivo SL41 and the Hidizs MP145, depending on what I’m listening to. When listening to audiobooks, I prefer the Kiwi Ears Cadenza because they are so comfortable. I also like the Tangzu Fudu when listening to classic rock.

Do you also enjoy IEMs?
Rich, you're living a world away from me, which isn't surprising. Of course I'm always interested in finding out what other foks are liking, 'cause you never know. . . The last IEMs I gave a lot of time to were Hifiman RE-600s and then RE-600V2s. When my Hifiman DAPs all broke down, I got an old Sony NW-ZX1, mainly for exercise. Otherwise, it's all physical media and HQ audio downloads to computer -> out through an old SB Audigy's optical to a spdif converter -> to a newish desk dac I can't see at the moment -> to a Eufonica H20 tube amp and Beyer DT-480s or a Sony MDR-Z7 or sumptin' else circumaural.

I've never felt right about using a mobile phone for a music source (it took ages just for me to accept it as an eBook reader). And I'm a tedious old Mac-hater, though I dispute the tropes that Mac-RAGE's all about inception period of technological acculturation(-'Scuse me a minute. . . 'HEY, YOU DAMN KIDS! YEAH YOU! HOW MANY TIMES I GOT TO TELL YOU TO GET THE HELL OFF'N MY LAWN!') failing aural sensitivity, incipient dementia, blah-de-blah. . .

No, the likeliest explanation is late-childhood watching '70s tv and movies where the *new* design aesthetic derived from a fast, durable, post-nuclear future built by rectilinear cast-steel wedges (kinda like Tesla's CyberTruck, but tougher and less shiny) with hardened plexi windows and six ginormous tractor tires. So I'm still one of those atavistic types who wishes a resurgent Scandinavian NOKIA would come out with this decade's 4.5 lb tungsten-cased satellite phone with india-rubber grips and an impact-resistant 4"x4" screen (maybe with a toggle-press) that can show all nine buttons, the first 10 characters of a caller's name, will read books in .txt and plays Snake.

May 12, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #15,561 of 15,569
Hi All,
First time, long time!! Currently listening with my Aeolus and Pendant while writing my first post. I enjoy tinkering with my various audio setups and always have questions which led me to head-fi years ago. Been searching threads and felt it would be more productive to join and actually ask questions. I appreciate the community and look forward to contributing.

May 13, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #15,563 of 15,569
Rich, you're living a world away from me, which isn't surprising. Of course I'm always interested in finding out what other foks are liking, 'cause you never know. . . The last IEMs I gave a lot of time to were Hifiman RE-600s and then RE-600V2s. When my Hifiman DAPs all broke down, I got an old Sony NW-ZX1, mainly for exercise. Otherwise, it's all physical media and HQ audio downloads to computer -> out through an old SB Audigy's optical to a spdif converter -> to a newish desk dac I can't see at the moment -> to a Eufonica H20 tube amp and Beyer DT-480s or a Sony MDR-Z7 or sumptin' else circumaural.

I've never felt right about using a mobile phone for a music source (it took ages just for me to accept it as an eBook reader). And I'm a tedious old Mac-hater, though I dispute the tropes that Mac-RAGE's all about inception period of technological acculturation(-'Scuse me a minute. . . 'HEY, YOU DAMN KIDS! YEAH YOU! HOW MANY TIMES I GOT TO TELL YOU TO GET THE HELL OFF'N MY LAWN!') failing aural sensitivity, incipient dementia, blah-de-blah. . .

No, the likeliest explanation is late-childhood watching '70s tv and movies where the *new* design aesthetic derived from a fast, durable, post-nuclear future built by rectilinear cast-steel wedges (kinda like Tesla's CyberTruck, but tougher and less shiny) with hardened plexi windows and six ginormous tractor tires. So I'm still one of those atavistic types who wishes a resurgent Scandinavian NOKIA would come out with this decade's 4.5 lb tungsten-cased satellite phone with india-rubber grips and an impact-resistant 4"x4" screen (maybe with a toggle-press) that can show all nine buttons, the first 10 characters of a caller's name, will read books in .txt and plays Snake.
Haha that's quite the setup!

I get you. I have an atavistic side too. I like my old '98 Jeep (hurts to call 98 old). I like hunting with lever and wheel guns. But, I am fascinated with tech. I have my old HD 580s and older Pioneer receiver amp that haven't been used in years. Not only am I fascinated by tech, but even in my mid-40s I have a hard time sitting still (damn ADHD), and the mobility of my setup allows me to do chores and work while enjoying my music or audiobooks. I also travel quite a bit for work. That's partially why I have transitioned from over-the-ear phones to IEMs. Less bulk and weight.

I have considered a DAP, but it seems like more things to manage. Right now, with the exception of my Fosi desktop DAC + PC, my entire setup fits in a chest pack (like a fanny pack that straps to your chest over your shoulders and under your arms). Great for traveling, gym, walking the dog, hiking, fishing, etc. But I do sometimes miss the classic sound of my HD 580s paired with my Pioneer. I think I'll have to dig them out of the attic...

May 14, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #15,565 of 15,569
Hello everyone, new member reporting in! I have actually known about this forum for quite some time, but I mostly just occasionally browsed.
Until I got my KA17, want to join discussion but don't have an account, so.

And...I am puzzled about quality of TypeC cables will affects the sound ? many people say it will

May 14, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #15,567 of 15,569
Hello everyone, new member reporting in! I have actually known about this forum for quite some time, but I mostly just occasionally browsed.
Until I got my KA17, want to join discussion but don't have an account, so.

And...I am puzzled about quality of TypeC cables will affects the sound ? many people say it will
I obtained an improvement with this Copper + Silver OTG cable (not plated, but 8 wires 12 core copper silver mixed texture):
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005006370795728.html
Compared to the standard FiiO cable I noticed a greater openness in the high range.
This cable is also very well made, it hooks up solidly and is very flexible (as well as being pleasant to look at for me)

May 14, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #15,568 of 15,569
Hi all! After years of lurking I'm finally registering for an account. Thinking about it now, waiting all this time seems like a missed opportunity. I come from a long line of audiophiles, and much to my father's chagrin I'm really into headphones instead of speakers. My current obsession is the wild world of Fostex T50rp modding, and I've slowly accrued a collection of Fostex curiosities, along with some more reasonable headphones as well.

Looking forward to mostly lurking but now occasionally posting here for many years to come!

May 15, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #15,569 of 15,569
Hi, I recently purchased aune s17 pro for my headphone but still looking for DAC.
I was checking and found Xduoo XD05 pro which can be kinda portable yet be used as desktop DAC for the unit.
Does anyone think its good ideal or bad ideal to run it this way? ( I am kinda newbie and looking for many advice for a cheaper dac)
If i posted this on wrong forum i am sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back