Orthodynamic Roundup
May 24, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #27,166 of 27,168
Interesting that you've also got modded he500 and rp18 :wink:
But these days I'm much more into my e-stats, RR1 and SR-Lambda (normal bias).
It's the obvious next step, glad to see you're making the move, you won't regret it.
We have similar tastes … or do we?

Ive yet to understand how e-stats outperform in every metric. However, my rig may be bottleneck, and Ive only heard limited examples of each driver technology.

By my very limited experience, I think e-stats have less quality* bass. I prioritize bass over many other sonic qualities while you might appreciate other qualities more.

*By quality I mean quantity, distortion, transients, is my guess.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #27,167 of 27,168
We have similar tastes … or do we?

Ive yet to understand how e-stats outperform in every metric. However, my rig may be bottleneck, and Ive only heard limited examples of each driver technology.

By my very limited experience, I think e-stats have less quality* bass. I prioritize bass over many other sonic qualities while you might appreciate other qualities more.

*By quality I mean quantity, distortion, transients, is my guess.
Generally bass has always been one of the most important factors for my headphone listening.
E-stats do generally need a 'leg up', but proper amping and a little tone correction goes a very long way.
Proper Stax amps are measurably bassier than the speaker amp adapters/energizers.

May 24, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #27,168 of 27,168
Generally bass has always been one of the most important factors for my headphone listening.
E-stats do generally need a 'leg up', but proper amping and a little tone correction goes a very long way.
Proper Stax amps are measurably bassier than the speaker amp adapters/energizers.
Ive seen measurements of SRD-7 that demonstrate overall higher distortion and causing increased highs around 6-10kHz. The distortion can be somewhat improved by replacing worn out capacitators and other parts while the increased highs has been synergistic ime.

Anyways, we do share a lot of opinions like love for HE-500 and RP-18 so I trust that your experience with proper Stax amps will ring true for me as well. Ive been planning to get one to try but has been low priority is all. Just need to sell stuff for more funds like my SS-100 <- click for listing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back