PLANAR IEMs fans thread-Impressions, suggestions, ranking list, techs
May 26, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #241 of 248
May 30, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #242 of 248
First listen to the Akoustyx S-6, and planars in general. What I'm noticing is how timbre is not uniform, and you can discern it's inflections within e.g. a note or between simoultaneous notes. That is the difference with what I've heard before. You wouldn't say musical or even "natural", but accurate. Only listened to Techno so far, perceiving a new character in synth sounds. Probably need burning in still. I suppose there is a lot of lower treble but I doubt I'll EQ: have always just acclimated to different tunings in the past.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 1:13 PM Post #243 of 248
First listen to the Akoustyx S-6, and planars in general. What I'm noticing is how timbre is not uniform, and you can discern it's inflections within e.g. a note or between simoultaneous notes. That is the difference with what I've heard before. You wouldn't say musical or even "natural", but accurate. Only listened to Techno so far, perceiving a new character in synth sounds. Probably need burning in still. I suppose there is a lot of lower treble but I doubt I'll EQ: have always just acclimated to different tunings in the past.
Regarding timbre foam tips can work wonders with planar IEMs. I've been using Comply and Dekoni tips these past few days with my OG Timeless - these never sounded as good as with the Dekonis. I hear similar timbre quality as a good fullsize planar with good leather pads.

May 30, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #244 of 248
Cheers, I'm saying timbre is notably good though. As I said, never heard a planar before and while DDs can sound generally "organic" or "pleasing", and BAs can sound almost "pixellated" and uniform, it feels more like the timbre is dictated by the recording with these and there's more nuance. Just my first impression.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 2:31 AM Post #245 of 248
Cheers, I'm saying timbre is notably good though. As I said, never heard a planar before and while DDs can sound generally "organic" or "pleasing", and BAs can sound almost "pixellated" and uniform, it feels more like the timbre is dictated by the recording with these and there's more nuance. Just my first impression.
I have been using S6 for close to a year now. Their base tuning, I cannot even fathom how one would enjoy bass like that for the most part or not die from treble. I for one didnt like the foams that much, atleast those it came with.

For me the main issue with S6 is that it needs substantial EQ to make it have proper sound. These IEMs become shouty with volume. So in order to counteract, you need to EQ in a shitton of bass and midrange like so (autoeq to a bassy FR):
Screenshot_20240531-082234327.jpg

Once this is in place you can got one mile further yet and get a bassy tip like audiosense s400 or final tips.

For the most part, treble wont get worse just sensible volume. Everything else on the other hand will finally be heard in the first place. I think its ok to EQ musician stage/monitoring IEMs to just music listening. Its not meant to play techno like we listen anyway :).

Just try it. You will be suprised how completely different and better the sound gets.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #246 of 248
Hi, yeah it was partly on your recommendation that I checked them out, I will persevere with the base tuning for now, so at worst I know what to try and fix. Using smallish bore (~5mm) silicone tips rn and having initially listened for a few hours the tuning sounds viable to me. Will try different tips and deeper insertion next because with other small "bullets" I have, that changes everything. Funny thing is what did put me off these is that they were advertised as studio reference tuned with *that* FR graph, which jus can't be right.

May 31, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #247 of 248
Hi, yeah it was partly on your recommendation that I checked them out, I will persevere with the base tuning for now, so at worst I know what to try and fix. Using smallish bore (~5mm) silicone tips rn and having initially listened for a few hours the tuning sounds viable to me. Will try different tips and deeper insertion next because with other small "bullets" I have, that changes everything. Funny thing is what did put me off these is that they were advertised as studio reference tuned with *that* FR graph, which jus can't be right.
I tried triple flanges but I think I couldnt really make it fit properly :p. I would be interested in your opinion though.

May 31, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #248 of 248
IDK the tips I'm using now are the intermediate option: I've also got these Zero Audio BX700s and the tips I ended up using with those are silicone, even smaller inner diameter and smaller outer diameter, and I just like jam them right in my ear canals. The bass and the soundstage just appear magically, presumably because of the better isolation. So I could try something similar with these. But as things are I'm not finding the bass lacking. The extension is there and the body is there. It's forward when it's meant to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back