Puritan Audio Laboratories PSM136, PSM156, PSM1512 Power Conditioners
May 21, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #1,007 of 1,020
Torus Tot Max is similar priced compare to PSM 156.
From what can be googled PSM 156 has way more positive reviews so should be a safer bet.
I bought a PSM 156 with upgraded Furutech rhodium sockets and inlet 10 days ago. Although immediate impressions were good, this evening the performance of my connected preamp and streamer took a massive jump. This is after 10 days of continuous use. I have previously owned two regenerators PS Audio Premier Power plant and Stellar P3, the PSM 156 is seriously way above both. I don’t have any experience of Torus but I can recommend the PSM - absolutely no compression of dynamics, noise floor is noticed by its absence, timbre is spot on, no grain or grit, depth and imaging amazing. If you can go for the upgraded version it’s definitely worth it. I am using a Furutech DPS4.1 power cord with an FI 1363 rhodium ncf power plug, SR purple fuse and a copper Furutech c19 iec - this power cord with connectors and fuse costs 50% of the price of the PSM156 - so in perspective the PSM with upgraded sockets is seriously good value. Puritan Audio is a highly respected British company and known for reliable and fairly priced products.

May 21, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #1,008 of 1,020
I bought a PSM 156 with upgraded Furutech rhodium sockets and inlet 10 days ago. Although immediate impressions were good, this evening the performance of my connected preamp and streamer took a massive jump. This is after 10 days of continuous use. I have previously owned two regenerators PS Audio Premier Power plant and Stellar P3, the PSM 156 is seriously way above both. I don’t have any experience of Torus but I can recommend the PSM - absolutely no compression of dynamics, noise floor is noticed by its absence, timbre is spot on, no grain or grit, depth and imaging amazing. If you can go for the upgraded version it’s definitely worth it. I am using a Furutech DPS4.1 power cord with an FI 1363 rhodium ncf power plug, SR purple fuse and a copper Furutech c19 iec - this power cord with connectors and fuse costs 50% of the price of the PSM156 - so in perspective the PSM with upgraded sockets is seriously good value. Puritan Audio is a highly respected British company and known for reliable and fairly priced products.
Have you compared to the standard edition PSM156?

May 22, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #1,009 of 1,020
Have you compared to the standard edition PSM156?
I have not compared them. No one will give you two units to compare them as the Special Edition is built to order by Puritan Audio. You can buy a standard version and change the sockets and iec input with Furutech versions but it will negate any guarantee and it could cost nearly the same as getting a SE version. HiFi + has a review of the PSM 156 covering both versions.

May 22, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #1,010 of 1,020
No one will give you two units to compare them as the Special Edition is built to order by Puritan Audio.
My understanding is that the SE versions can only be ordered from audioconsultants in Surrey, UK, as this was the dealer that persuaded Puritan to add the Furutech plugs and sockets.

You can demo any combination of stock and SE Puritan products (and rival power cords) at the dealer's location, or shipped to you for a home trial. If shipped, you pay the 2-way shipping costs (half of which is refunded if you end up buying something).

When you order from audioconsultants, they will send the appropriate Furutech components to Puritan, who then build the final product, which is then shipped to you.
Well, that's how it worked for me.

May 23, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #1,011 of 1,020
My understanding is that the SE versions can only be ordered from audioconsultants in Surrey, UK, as this was the dealer that persuaded Puritan to add the Furutech plugs and sockets.

You can demo any combination of stock and SE Puritan products (and rival power cords) at the dealer's location, or shipped to you for a home trial. If shipped, you pay the 2-way shipping costs (half of which is refunded if you end up buying something).

When you order from audioconsultants, they will send the appropriate Furutech components to Puritan, who then build the final product, which is then shipped to you.
Well, that's how it worked for me.
Yes that’s right. I also bought my unit from The Audio Consultants in surrey. Very knowledgeable and helpful- not like the average on line dealer. Two weeks of continuous burn in, the PSM 156 SE has made a massive difference, one of my best buys ever.

May 23, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #1,012 of 1,020
Any experience with comparing Puritan Ultimate cable and Ricable Dedalus? About the same price range, Ultimate is much more flexible. But often the Ultimate is described as bringing too much brightness into the chain (at least in comparison to Puritan Classic). Wondering how Dedalus would behave with PSM156.

May 23, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #1,013 of 1,020
Any experience with comparing Puritan Ultimate cable and Ricable Dedalus? About the same price range, Ultimate is much more flexible. But often the Ultimate is described as bringing too much brightness into the chain (at least in comparison to Puritan Classic). Wondering how Dedalus would behave with PSM156.
I really dont know how this myth of the Ultimate being bright came from. It takes a little while to run in, LIKE ANY OTHER CABLE, during which time its not at its best, LIKE ANY OTHER CABLE. Its not bright, its clear once run in.

HTH

May 23, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #1,014 of 1,020
I really dont know how this myth of the Ultimate being bright came from. It takes a little while to run in, LIKE ANY OTHER CABLE, during which time its not at its best, LIKE ANY OTHER CABLE. Its not bright, its clear once run in.

HTH
I only judged based on the reports directly here in this forum few pages back and from the people who bought several ultimate cables, burned in and then reported it was too much for the chain.
Nevertheless, still would be interested in someone's experience with both, although I admit it's not very likely to come in.

May 23, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #1,015 of 1,020
I only judged based on the reports directly here in this forum few pages back and from the people who bought several ultimate cables, burned in and then reported it was too much for the chain.
Nevertheless, still would be interested in someone's experience with both, although I admit it's not very likely to come in.
I run an all ultimate chain. They are not bright or overwhelming, they are very clear.

May 24, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #1,017 of 1,020
Same here. Once they have run in they are superb. And I came from Classic+ cables
Did you find it was worth upgrading from classic+? I jumped straight to ultimate myself.

May 24, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #1,018 of 1,020
Did you find it was worth upgrading from classic+? I jumped straight to ultimate myself.

I was very happy with the Classic+ and was a bit nervous about upgrading to Ultimate but I wanted to try it and boy was it worth it. Again, I would stress it was more evident that it needed burn in but once that was done I I swapped all cables to Ultimate.

May 24, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #1,019 of 1,020
Ultimate cable = OCC copper with nice flowing dialectics, gold connector which is neutral. Real high flow designs with OCC copper is brighter, but this is a positive attribute to me and part of hifi. The full spectrum of sound requires brightness where it is and many other special effects. I see the same thing with all OCC and OCC cryo treated cables, the good stuff that is, it's about the tuning of the cable. The Ultimate cable livens it up and makes it clearer sounding for sure and worth it.

I noticed my PSM136 with classic plus is not putting out the bass of the PSM1512 with ultimate on 20A line, noticeable decrease. On 15A line bass is equal with the Ultimate cable with the amp in or out of the wall but I refuse to unplug my masterclock to test. I will never put my amps into the PSM136 with the classic plus, it's a huge loss in bass.

The PSM itself probably is a bit bright at a baseline. If this is true one thing is for sure it is tuneable related to brightness if your willing to tune around that if it's an issue. I've seen quite a few combos in the PSM that were a mile away from fatigue, darker sound and also plenty that were too bright for me and sharp ect.

Most of my stuff these days is pretty potent, lots of solid core OCC cryo and it seems to be ok. I test vs reference DAPs ect. At high volume the sound must be controlled and not distort and it can take some serious equipment to achieve that on all recordings, including many of the terribly recording songs out there. Most issues are solved as a tuning matter related to handling bad recordings.

A really good reference level DAC and amp will deal with these issues of brightness even in bad conditions. My R2R DACs often struggled on some recordings with peakiness with my tube amp where my Weiss DAC did not.

I've noticed my Cen Grand Silver Fox that I cannot detect a difference after about 20 rounds of swapping it on dedicated line or in the PSM1512. There may be a slight difference in bass but it's very hard to conclude that. I swap my tube amp back and forth, it sounds so good in the PSM1512 and the dedicated line. I thoroughly enjoyed it yesterday in the PSM1512 plugged in on the bottom where the power cable comes in. It is plugged in with over 200W of digital on the bottom and did great. Smooth, punchy and even more resolution than on the dedicated line. I could live with both ways easily. I also have the massive Silver Fox plugged in on the top row at the same time. Good job PSM.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #1,020 of 1,020
Ultimate cable = OCC copper with nice flowing dialectics, gold connector which is neutral. Real high flow designs with OCC copper is brighter, but this is a positive attribute to me and part of hifi. The full spectrum of sound requires brightness where it is and many other special effects. I see the same thing with all OCC and OCC cryo treated cables, the good stuff that is, it's about the tuning of the cable. The Ultimate cable livens it up and makes it clearer sounding for sure and worth it.

I noticed my PSM136 with classic plus is not putting out the bass of the PSM1512 with ultimate on 20A line, noticeable decrease. On 15A line bass is equal with the Ultimate cable with the amp in or out of the wall but I refuse to unplug my masterclock to test. I will never put my amps into the PSM136 with the classic plus, it's a huge loss in bass.

The PSM itself probably is a bit bright at a baseline. If this is true one thing is for sure it is tuneable related to brightness if your willing to tune around that if it's an issue. I've seen quite a few combos in the PSM that were a mile away from fatigue, darker sound and also plenty that were too bright for me and sharp ect.

Most of my stuff these days is pretty potent, lots of solid core OCC cryo and it seems to be ok. I test vs reference DAPs ect. At high volume the sound must be controlled and not distort and it can take some serious equipment to achieve that on all recordings, including many of the terribly recording songs out there. Most issues are solved as a tuning matter related to handling bad recordings.

A really good reference level DAC and amp will deal with these issues of brightness even in bad conditions. My R2R DACs often struggled on some recordings with peakiness with my tube amp where my Weiss DAC did not.

I've noticed my Cen Grand Silver Fox that I cannot detect a difference after about 20 rounds of swapping it on dedicated line or in the PSM1512. There may be a slight difference in bass but it's very hard to conclude that. I swap my tube amp back and forth, it sounds so good in the PSM1512 and the dedicated line. I thoroughly enjoyed it yesterday in the PSM1512 plugged in on the bottom where the power cable comes in. It is plugged in with over 200W of digital on the bottom and did great. Smooth, punchy and even more resolution than on the dedicated line. I could live with both ways easily. I also have the massive Silver Fox plugged in on the top row at the same time. Good job PSM.
Very informative, thanks.

Is there aftually any picture of the ultimate inside structure? I can find various text descriptions but no concrete pics. For example, my currently favorite Neotech cables (mostly containing some nice up-occ copper conductors) I can inspect in details what’s inside and how exactly it looks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back