Schiit Ragnarok Amplifier
May 15, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #2,026 of 2,034
Thanks for taking the time to check! I understand this thing's primarily a speaker amp
Not so.
and maybe the fact that the headphone out is just the speaker power resisted down causes some noise?
The difference in output is due to the load of the headphones in balanced. SE is another story, because its not balanced.
I plan on using it with speakers but I use headphones probably 70% of the time so I was hoping it would be great for them. Am I just being too picky about the slight background noise? This is the most I've spent on a source so far so I was hoping it wouldn't have anything wrong with it...
Don't have issues with my Rag 1 or the two Rag 2's I've used re: speakers or headphones - in any gain. YMMV

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #2,027 of 2,034
Yeah I’m sending it back. I’ve never had any problems with their support. Hopefully the replacement is nice and quiet.
Please keep us posted once you get it back!

Mine has started buzzing on all gain levels through the balanced out to my Atriums; oddly, it’s actually loudest in low gain, and switches channels with different gain settings.

I will try on a different circuit on the house since I’m hoping it’s just my old wiring…

May 19, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #2,028 of 2,034
I will try on a different circuit on the house since I’m hoping it’s just my old wiring…
I haven’t had a chance to physically move it yet (still working up to the heavy lifting!), but I plugged the Rag 2 into one of my Furman AC-215A’s in its current location, and so far so good with the electrical hum gone on low / medium gain through the balanced out. 🤞

Edit: Afraid I may have spoken too soon. While listening on relatively low volume, I heard a very faint audible pop through my headphones, and the electrical hum was back. Switching to medium gain made it even louder, high gain got quieter. Cycling through gain settings again back to low and the hum was gone, so I’m afraid something is amiss with the Nexus circuitry, or the AC-215 isn’t doing its job effectively… 😭 I may just live with SE for now.

Update: Somehow this seems to be headphone cable specific, if that's even physically possible. I first noticed the issue on balanced when I switched from my ZMF OFC cable to a longer XLR cable (incidentally, their new "pro" cable) but figured it was coincidence. On a whim, I switched back to the OFC cable and the problem hasn't come back after a full day of listening. I wouldn't have thought it to be a function of cable length (since avoiding interference with longer cables is one thing balanced is supposed to be definitively better for!), so perhaps it's a matter of shielding or something else. At any rate, I have a 9.5' OFC cable on the way to compare, but for now problem solved!

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 12:24 AM Post #2,029 of 2,034
If I could easily hear it (like I can on high gain) I would definitely be bothered. I’m not 100% convinced I can actually hear anything on medium gain by toggling the mute on and off, but my tinnitus sometimes comes and goes by the hour. 😂

Since yours seems to be very pronounced I’d still suspect there is an actual issue worth contacting Schiit about. Knowing how obsessive the head-fi crowd is, if this were a design spec I’m sure we’d be hearing more about it!

Update: balanced out does not seem to make a difference here. Coincidentally, I hear the sizzle in high gain mostly on the right channel, which is the same channel that produces an audible pop/click through headphones when switching gain levels. Not sure if that’s expected, or a bad sign… 🤔
Mine also has a louder buzz in the right channel, interestingly only when balanced and only when set to 'headphone output only'
The buzz goes away if i switch to 'speaker & headphone output'.
It's noticeable on medium/high gain, but is unnoticeable on low gain (at least with my HD650, HD800S, Elex)

My finding is that there are both 'noise' and 'buzz' in medium or high gain.
The noise part is not particularly worrying for me since it's not really that noticeable in medium gain and again, totally expected for a speaker amp.
The buzz part is weird and sounds like specific frequency (measured with mic through headphones and looks like 120hz and it's harmonics) and the fact it only occurs on the right side and only when switch to headphone only mode seems odd.

I also sent out a support ticket and will see what they say.
For my use case I preferred low gain for all the headphones I own and I can't hear the noise and buzz at all in low gain, so it's not really a problem for me now, but I do fear this could be problem down the road.

Still, the Ragnarok 2 is probably the best head amp I've heard (I also owned the Mjolnir 3 and BHA-1 and Rag2 is definitely 1 tier higher than both) and upped the performance of my LS50 replacing my Audiolab 6000A. For $999 this is really a killer deal and perhaps end game for a long while for me.

Update: Buzz seems to be a grounding issue, not caused by Ragnarok 2: I unplugged everything and the buzz part disappeared, and I eventually found that the buzz will return whenever the right positive speaker output tap is connected to anything (even when tapped with fingers). I tried power outlet in another room (which I’m sure it’s grounded + correct polarity) and there are no buzz at all.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024 at 7:37 AM Post #2,030 of 2,034
Still, the Ragnarok 2 is probably the best head amp I've heard
I heartily agree. I’ve been using it extensively for about two weeks now, and after doing some direct A/B testing, it is quickly displacing many of my other favorite headphone amps.

May 21, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #2,031 of 2,034
I heartily agree. I’ve been using it extensively for about two weeks now, and after doing some direct A/B testing, it is quickly displacing many of my other favorite headphone amps.
Hey I updated my post, turns out it might be a grounding issue for me. Buzz issue disappeared when plugged into another outlet in the house.

May 21, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #2,032 of 2,034
For my use case I preferred low gain for all the headphones I own and I can't hear the noise and buzz at all in low gain, so it's not really a problem for me now, but I do fear this could be problem down the road.
Never got an answer from on high on my theory that Rag low gain is like a pre-amp w/o the gain stage - better more crystalline def, but, lacks drive at the extremes. High gain is for speakers only - unless you want hearing damage from an OG HE-6, it's clearly diritier sounding - like it's strapped. Mid gain is my pref for both cans and speakers.
Still, the Ragnarok 2 is probably the best head amp I've heard (I also owned the Mjolnir 3 and BHA-1 and Rag2 is definitely 1 tier higher than both) and upped the performance of my LS50 replacing my Audiolab 6000A. For $999 this is really a killer deal and perhaps end game for a long while for me.
I think the BHA-1 has better low bass. Only heard the Molnir 3 at a meet for 25 minutes, but it seemed bright, and a step below what the Echo 2 and other amps were doing at the same show w/ my HD-600, HD-800S, ZMF Auteur.

I considered getting a Rag 2 to go with my 1, but, the Kara convinces me paired with a pair of Aegir 2's I'd be doing better - although at a well higher price.

May 21, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #2,033 of 2,034
Never got an answer from on high on my theory that Rag low gain is like a pre-amp w/o the gain stage - better more crystalline def, but, lacks drive at the extremes. High gain is for speakers only - unless you want hearing damage from an OG HE-6, it's clearly diritier sounding - like it's strapped. Mid gain is my pref for both cans and speakers.

I think the BHA-1 has better low bass. Only heard the Molnir 3 at a meet for 25 minutes, but it seemed bright, and a step below what the Echo 2 and other amps were doing at the same show w/ my HD-600, HD-800S, ZMF Auteur.

I considered getting a Rag 2 to go with my 1, but, the Kara convinces me paired with a pair of Aegir 2's I'd be doing better - although at a well higher price.
Rag2 medium gain is rounder, warmer and sweeter than low gain, while low gain is mostly cleaner, brighter, squarer. It really depends on the mood and headphone pairing, but personally I find myself going to low gain more often. I don’t find it lack drive (at least with my headphones I won’t go over 3 o clock) just the tonality is leaner, but stage is rock solid and never congested.

I agree BHA-1 have better sub bass, which is pretty incredible with HD800S and helps compose a grand soundstage. What I find lacking comparatively to Mjolnir 3 or Rag2 is its resolving capabilities, especially when in complex passages, things get a bit smeared over for BHA-1. This is all slight differences however, and if not comparing them side by side I probably won’t care.

May 21, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #2,034 of 2,034
Rag2 medium gain is rounder, warmer and sweeter than low gain, while low gain is mostly cleaner, brighter, squarer. It really depends on the mood and headphone pairing, but personally I find myself going to low gain more often. I don’t find it lack drive (at least with my headphones I won’t go over 3 o clock) just the tonality is leaner, but stage is rock solid and never congested.

I agree BHA-1 have better sub bass, which is pretty incredible with HD800S and helps compose a grand soundstage. What I find lacking comparatively to Mjolnir 3 or Rag2 is its resolving capabilities, especially when in complex passages, things get a bit smeared over for BHA-1. This is all slight differences however, and if not comparing them side by side I probably won’t care.
Wow, first person that agrees that once music gets over 3 pieces tinkling the BHA-1 gets this IM issue with images sucking into each other and breaking down.

Yes mid gain of Rag 1 & 2 is warmer - that's where I go, unless its some very specific mid stuff I want as clean as possible.

That M3 might have been an early (was) version - but it really seemed bright to me - in a short shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back