Smyth Research Realiser A16
May 17, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #16,021 of 16,028
does anyone know what’s happening with the Kickstand preorders? Any ETA on delivery dates?
According to my notes, no kickstarter orders have been delivered since Dec 2020. The last kickstarter order delivered was #289.
There are at least a couple of dozen kickstarter orders left to deliver.
A total of 356 kickstarters were ordered, but some may have been cancelled before the campaign ended.
No preorders have been delivered. No ETA on any deliveries.

I welcome any corrections so I can update my notes.

May 17, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #16,023 of 16,028
So, I am selling a big ticket item and can potentially turn my preorder into a realiser that I’ll actually get. I wanted to run a few legit concerns I have by y’all because I’m really wondering if I’m just victim to the sunken cost fallacy.

1. Warranty and customer service. The warranty link on their website is down, and I honestly don’t really trust them to honor things. Is this off base? I’ve seen some stories of failed units, but am I just seeing a vocal minority?

2. Ease of use and extended effort. I recognize that there is a steep learning curve. At 52 with a kid, is this going to be too daunting? I’m not going to be flying out to a studio for measurements. So is it still worth it without that? Once things are set up, so you have to constantly adjust?

3. Resale. If I just can’t hack it, how much will I be out with resale?

Appreciate anyone’s thoughts as I navigate this item or just getting a high ticket amp.
I appreciate all the responses. He hasn’t replied so I’ll try again but most likely money will somewhere else. Ah, well!

May 17, 2024 at 9:24 PM Post #16,024 of 16,028
I appreciate all the responses. He hasn’t replied so I’ll try again but most likely money will somewhere else. Ah, well!
I would not be surprised if the reply took a week or more.

May 18, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #16,027 of 16,028
Did you also preorder? What was his reply - on delivery / shipment ETA??
I ordered back in 2023. I sent email on my Friday evening May 26 and I heard back from James on May 30. He said there was a 20 day lead time. After I agreed to buy he got back to me June 12 saying the unit was ready and asking for payment.

May 18, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #16,028 of 16,028
I’ve reached out to James for a quote, with the topic ‘realiser purchase’ to hopefully snap his attention and have him reply. I’ll let fate decide which direction I go :).
When I ordered my A16 I also ordered an additional remote and head tracker. The A16 requires the remote for operation so loss, battery leakage, pet chewing, etc could put you out of business for a while.

I put the second head tracker on my backup headphones. The head tracker seems pretty robust and the cables are obtainable many places, so a second head tracker is probably not needed if you don't think you'll use a second set of headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back