Sony NW-A50 Series
May 27, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #2,416 of 2,419
How is the Bluetooth range on the A55? I use a 1Z and ZX300 at home and purchased a Japanese A306 for work. This is my first android dap, which I thought might open up some potential to try new music with apps like Bandcamp etc, but the low specs give it some lag (even trimming the bloatware), there are extra steps to play music compared to a Sony OS, it has really, really weak Bluetooth which is my main use at work, and the wifi struggles to connect to the extender and maintain a decent connection. I know it's a small device and wasn't expecting the performance of my higher end phone but didn't realise it would be like this. I'll more than likely sell it and will consider at rusty old Sony OS A55. I prefer USB-C, but I have spare cables and an old adapter to keep at work and in the car should I have to charge it.

Tried lowering BT playback quality? For instance I believe LDAC runs at the threshold of what is possible (at least on previous gen BT hardware) so it's really susceptible to interference & dropouts.

I wouldn't expect it to be much different than those other walkmen- I think it's fairly similar to my old A10 series, maybe slightly better/less prone to back pocket dropouts at least.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 6:45 AM Post #2,417 of 2,419
Tried lowering BT playback quality? For instance I believe LDAC runs at the threshold of what is possible (at least on previous gen BT hardware) so it's really susceptible to interference & dropouts.

I wouldn't expect it to be much different than those other walkmen- I think it's fairly similar to my old A10 series, maybe slightly better/less prone to back pocket dropouts at least.
I use Bluetooth for convenience but aim to get the best I can from it, my phone and even ZX300 have a decent range so I probably hope to squeeze the same out of other devices. I don't like the way the Bluetooth setting work, the Sony Headphones app offering only stable or quality option (does stable mean SBC?) then having to go into developers settings that sometimes make you wonder if they've held. The Fiio BTR5 and Shanling M0 Pro were both very weak too, but I'd hoped for a bit more from the A306, maybe I have a dud as it drops out at the turn of a head or when I raise my arms to carry something, and often even within a couple of meters of having on a work bench.
Regardless, the Android OS is just not for me, I haven't ruled out other daps but might just resort to the good ol' Sony OS Walkmans to do the job.

May 27, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #2,418 of 2,419
I don't like the way the Bluetooth setting work, the Sony Headphones app offering only stable or quality option (does stable mean SBC?

Possibly? At least in the A50's settings options it recommends SBC if signal is unstable, but idk the android Walkmen. The LDAC codec itself has a lower quality "connection preferred" mode, but probably SBC is still better for stability.

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #2,419 of 2,419
I gave it a go but Android OS for a dap is not for me, back to the good ol' Sony OS. I've ordered an A55 from eBay as it seems to be the only place I could source a used one - e earphone don't seem to ship daps, and Amazon JP only have new ones. Fingers crossed the battery is still good, but for my use I'll never use it for lengthy periods of time and have plenty of cables also owning a 1Z and ZX300 to have cables everywhere for top ups.
The Fatbear case price seems to have gone up, the lowest priced one is out of black dammit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back