SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 24, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #15,737 of 15,739
True, and valid concerns.
The answer is not straightforward, though. The shorter battery life, under specific usage/settings, is not a fault.

Like all modern devices, usage and settings make major differences to the battery life. For me, an iPhone lasts multiple days. Many other users cannot get even a full day of usage. There is great variability among users, and it is due to their different usage/settings. Would I like to see the iPhone be better? Of course. But it is what it is.

The Sony DAP, I usually use Direct mode, playing local music files from the SD card. I do not use Streaming at all on the Sony. So for me, battery life has never been a concern. In fact, the Sony has class leading battery life. I don't think there is another DAP that is even close to it.

Other users use Streaming a majority of the time, with DSP functions on all the time. Some like the display on all the time. These users will have a drastically shorter battery life.

So it depends on usage/settings......... Which is great, as the choice is up to the user.

Most DAPs have a run time of 8-12 hours max, reducing further from that with battery hungry applications.
The Calyx M I had was around 4 hours, which was a major reason for selling it. There were just too many times when I picked it up to use, and it was dead, or had a very low charge. Sound wise, it was better than anything else on the market.....
In hindsight, I regret selling it. Should have adjusted to using it with an external battery to supplement, or just kept it for use at home.
Speaking of Calyx I still have it at home and keeping it..

May 25, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #15,738 of 15,739
Does anyone know if, using just the serial number, I can see the usage or warranty time of the nw-wm1am2?

May 25, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #15,739 of 15,739
Does anyone know if, using just the serial number, I can see the usage or warranty time of the nw-wm1am2?
No way, AFAIK
- The audio play time is in the Settings, but that will be reset to 0 by a Factory Reset. Even if not reset, the cumulative play time has no bearing on warranty.
- Warranty, you need the receipt. In addition, the serial # of a device cannot tell warranty. It could have been sitting on the shelf for months/years, so when it was manufactured has no relationship with warranty, as there is no way to tell when it was sold. The warranty starts from the Sales date, not the manufactured date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back