Stax SR-X1 (new entry model)
May 23, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #91 of 104
I would have posted Tuesday evening but unfortunately the 12v power adapter was DOA. :frowning2: I contacted stax USA and I was given a prepaid return label for the Amp so I sent it back. I had a SRM-D10II(which I should have just bought to begin with) overnighted to one of my company's facilities near my next delivery, and it should arrive sometime today. Will give updates later tonight!
1000117924.jpg

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #94 of 104
Does anybody have squiggles? I love me some squiggles.
MiniDSP EARS (and all the caveats of it's flaws and own peaks valleys it introduces). iFi Black label DAC>SRM-313>SR-X1 . Well sealed measurements (L & R), and just lightly placed not well sealed measurements 1 channel. Real life is probably somewhere between the measurement scenarios. Note I am measuring down to 10Hz, most graphs out there stop at 20Hz. The MINIDsp silicone ears are big vs the SR-X1 pad holes, getting consistent measurements isn't that easy.
SRX1 Kabeer.JPG

A comparison with the SR-Xmk3 would be greatly appreciated~
Super brief quick check, SR-X1 has more apparent bass, a little bit more open and feels a hint more extended up top too. Slightly different presentation probably due to supra vs circumaural. YMMV based on earpad condition/seal of SR-Xmk3. The vintage mk3 is really good still.

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #95 of 104
I would have posted Tuesday evening but unfortunately the 12v power adapter was DOA. :frowning2: I contacted stax USA and I was given a prepaid return label for the Amp so I sent it back. I had a SRM-D10II(which I should have just bought to begin with) overnighted to one of my company's facilities near my next delivery, and it should arrive sometime today. Will give updates later tonight!
would be interested to know your thoughts vs the stats in your signature. I presume you have a SRD-7mk2 still, so that should run this well.

May 23, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #96 of 104
Interesting, thanks. That seems like a pretty smooth FR. What compensation did you use?

Looks like it's not ported if you can get flat FR in the bass, though it's probably unlikely in real use.

May 23, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #97 of 104
Interesting, thanks. That seems like a pretty smooth FR. What compensation did you use?

Looks like it's not ported if you can get flat FR in the bass, though it's probably unlikely in real use.
the MiniDSP HEQ cal file for my EARS rig

May 23, 2024 at 10:23 PM Post #98 of 104
would be interested to know your thoughts vs the stats in your signature. I presume you have a SRD-7mk2 still, so that should run this well.
Man the D10II isn't enough to drive the X1 for my deaf ears the Amp clips
The SRD-7mk2 will probably be a different animal entirely but as it stands this headphone is absolutely superb I'm loving every bit of it it's silky smooth the bass texture is nice and rich I can't wait to get it home and listen from my main system gonna need to get a pelican case to make this easier to lug around on the road. I wasn't able to get the D10II working with my phone seems I need an OTG cable? Not really sure what that is I'll have to look into it more soon it's a very comfortably headphone even with glasses definitely glad I bought it these are just short initial impressions I may have more over the long weekend! 20240523_184213.jpg20240523_210145.jpg20240523_205944.jpg

May 23, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #99 of 104
Man the D10II isn't enough to drive the X1 for my deaf ears the Amp clips
The SRD-7mk2 will probably be a different animal entirely but as it stands this headphone is absolutely superb I'm loving every bit of it it's silky smooth the bass texture is nice and rich I can't wait to get it home and listen from my main system gonna need to get a pelican case to make this easier to lug around on the road. I wasn't able to get the D10II working with my phone seems I need an OTG cable? Not really sure what that is I'll have to look into it more soon it's a very comfortably headphone even with glasses definitely glad I bought it these are just short initial impressions I may have more over the long weekend! 20240523_184213.jpg20240523_210145.jpg20240523_205944.jpg
Cool! It's nice to hear that STAX has actually improved the bass texture on their entry-level model this time. Sounds very interesting, looking forward to your detailed review!

btw, you'll probably need an OTG cable/OTG hub since most of the Type-C cables that come with phones are just for charging

May 23, 2024 at 10:41 PM Post #100 of 104
btw, you'll probably need an OTG cable/OTG hub since most of the Type-C cables that come with phones are just for charging
I kinda figured the one for the Moondrop Dawn Pro was one but it didn't seem to work so idk appreciate the advice, also don't look forward too much to my review I can't hear very well so it's likely to be way different than other opinions.

May 24, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #101 of 104
MiniDSP EARS (and all the caveats of it's flaws and own peaks valleys it introduces). iFi Black label DAC>SRM-313>SR-X1 . Well sealed measurements (L & R), and just lightly placed not well sealed measurements 1 channel. Real life is probably somewhere between the measurement scenarios. Note I am measuring down to 10Hz, most graphs out there stop at 20Hz. The MINIDsp silicone ears are big vs the SR-X1 pad holes, getting consistent measurements isn't that easy.

Super brief quick check, SR-X1 has more apparent bass, a little bit more open and feels a hint more extended up top too. Slightly different presentation probably due to supra vs circumaural. YMMV based on earpad condition/seal of SR-Xmk3. The vintage mk3 is really good still.
Would love to see the same graph using the HPN callibration files.
The HEQ calibration files are meant to be used specifically for the purpose of equalization only (and it raises the upper mids and treble a bit).
HPN callibrated graphs should appear to be closer to most equal loudness compensated graphs that most other people publish (including historical data like Tyll/innerfidelity).

Also one tip: with a graph selected, press CTRL+SHIFT+9 for 1/48 smoothing. It just makes the data a bit easier to read :)

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 1:02 AM Post #102 of 104
Ooh, the fact that it's not ported is very promising.

Not reading too much into EARS measurements regardless of compensation, but it seems well behaved if you ignore the big valley (which looks very much like a measurement artifact).

Extremely tempted to impulse buy, but I'm very satisfied with my LamPro and LamSig already....

May 25, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #104 of 104
So yeah, I couldn't resist. Thanks Headamp for the prompt shipping and good service, as usual.

First impressions are generally positive. The build is very simple, they're small and light, and the fit is somewhere between circum-aural and supra-aural. Comfort is pretty good. I get crinkles out of the driver on the right side when I push on it, but not the left.

The sound is pretty monitor-like, but good. Balance is neutral and maybe a bit mid-forward. The bass has good midbass kick but is a bit on the light side at least in this rig. The mids have a slightly cold tonality to them but not too bad. When doing a sine sweep by ear, 1-2khz region seems pushed forward a bit, and 3-5 pulled back, but not enough for things to sound weird. Midrange tembre is quite a bit better than a lot of what I've heard from Stax lately, not perfect but fairly realistic. The treble is very well behaved, and I don't need to EQ it to make it listenable (I can't tell you how rare this is). At the same time, they're not dark, it's just not harsh.

Staging is small but once you get used to it, it's not too bad. Resolution seems good for what it is, maybe not up there with the best estats but it's solid. Dynamics also don't lack and it doesn't sound sterile. I'm using a bone stock 007t and it's not struggling to push these, but you can hear that more power would be welcome.

It seems to be a pretty neat little headphone so far, reminds me of the Sony V6 / 7506 a bit, but obviously better. It's not perfect, but it's better tuned than the L700 to be sure (but then so is a set of airpods). I don't think these will end up slaying giants, but maybe Stax can get back on track and start making **** that doesn't need to be EQd or modded out of the gate to make it even halfway listenable.

I'll update with more impressions at some point but so far I like where this is going. The only EQ I've done is to drop 1-2k by 2 db and 7.5k slightly as that's where my ear resonance is, and they don't seem to need any more than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back