Stax SR-X9000
May 18, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #3,046 of 3,048
Just got my in ear microphones today. Did a sweep left and right, then moved the mic around a little, and did another left and right sweep. Sub-bass drop off is less on head, only drops about 3dB at 20Hz and 2dB at 30Hz. As expected, there is the classic STAX hump around 1k. Starts ramping up around 650Hz and peaks at about a 4-5dB increase at 1225Hz. I'm attributing the weirdness at 6-8k to odd mic effects. Harder to get accurate results up higher.

Overall it's impressively flat. Reinforces the idea that all these headphones need is a minor bass shelf and a few dB trimmed around 1k but that may be a taste thing, some people liking it, some not. That 7-8k dip is from the mic, as pointed out earlier in this thread.

Edit: Added Susvara comparison. Depending on where you volume match, Susvara has about 2dB more sub-bass. Could also say they have the same sub-bass but X9000 has more mid-bass. Either way it's accurate to say X9000 has a little bit of a mid-bass hump while Susvara is flat in the bass. Otherwise they track each other pretty closely but X9000 has a vastly smoother curve. Lots of weird sawtooth going on in the Susvara reading that's not in the X9000. I saw the sawtooth readings with Susvara when I measured with EARS too so it's definitely part of the headphone, not the measurement rigs/my head. Wonder what causes that.

Note, I did not touch the in ear mics at all when swapping from X9000 to Susvara.

Overall if someone showed me these two FR charts without me knowing which was which, I would pick the X9000 and just add a few db bass shelf 20-40Hz.

Attachments

• x9000 in ear.jpg
    x9000 in ear.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 0
  • x9000 vs Susvara in ear.jpg
    x9000 vs Susvara in ear.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #3,047 of 3,048
The Susvara's sawtooth response is due to resonances in the driver. A number of Hifiman planar headphones have those.

I wonder how Stax develops their headphones, because when I've reviewed the various measurements posted, it seems like the in-ear measurements show a much smoother response than the head-and-torso simulators (KEMAR/GRAS/B&K). And I tried using AutoEQ with a KEMAR measurement and the results of that were horrible. Manual sine sweeps that I've done also sound much closer to what the in-ear measurements say than what the HATS say (though I don't have in-ear mics for my own measurements). For whatever reason, the X9000 seems to confound the KEMAR and B&K rigs.

May 18, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #3,048 of 3,048

Users who are viewing this thread

Back