Super (capacitor) charging your iFi Zen Can (and other zen products and possibly other manufacturers)
May 25, 2024 at 6:50 AM Post #151 of 151
While not an absolute, you might say Os-Con are "digital and SMPS" Capacitors, while Silmic are "Audio" capacitors.

As a result ideally we would split up all PSU Pins on the DSD1793 and use 4 pcs of low dropout regulators, Vcc, VccR, VccR each would use 10nF C0G in 0603 + 10uF X7R or better in 1210 and Elna Silmic while VccF gets 1uF X7R in 0603 and the biggest Os-Con we can find.

TBH, I think this is overkill for a fairly low cost DAC IC and needs a PCB with more layers etc.

Perhaps, if I ever get to do another design with DSD1793 (unlikely) or similar, I'll break out VccF from the rest.
Cool, I really learned a lot from your posts. Thanks.

Sorry for my ignorance again, what's the reasons behind for having different types of capacitor in parallel (especially when the capacitances are quite different)? To be specific,

1. Why it is better to combine C0G / X7R and Elna Silmic (instead of just Elna Silmic as it has larger capacitance)? Why we still need C0G/X7R
2. Why it is better to combine 1uF X7R and OS-CON (instead of just OS-CON as it has larger capacitance, say 1000uF for VccF)? Why we still need X7R

If somehow I could disconnect the VccF pin of the DSD1793 from the PCB, does it make sense if I use "flying wire" to connect it to the capacitors you mentioned and then GND?

By looking at the datasheet again, looks like they have something similar (2 capacitors in parallel). This is something I don't understand.

Screenshot 2024-05-25 183702.png

By the way, for the electrolytic capacitors, I heard that it needs to take some time for the dielectric to be stabilized.

Here is what I got from my Sony Walkman's info screen:
Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 6.47.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 6.46.29 PM.png

For my "new" "signature plus" Zen DAC, do I need to age the capacitors (i.e. Elna Slimic) in order to get the highest quality sound? 200 hours too?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back