The discovery thread!
May 18, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #102,046 of 102,051
collab IEM YouTubers must be stopped

Let’s see how Gizaudio’s DaVinci turns out first

Anyhow:

A17102C0-E5ED-4BED-9648-1954D6EE1634.jpeg

Effect Audio x Elysian; Hiby x FAudio. More of those would be cool.

Do you have a link to this?

Here you go: https://hifigo.com/products/skw-hc5101b?_pos=1&_sid=d61e5c6ab&_ss=r

The RSV was very good, sort of an opposite twin to the Moondrop S8. It was also one of the cheapest IEMs they ever made.

Oh yeah. I remember drooling at the RSV. Somehow I ended up buying Blessing 2 instead 😂

May 18, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #102,047 of 102,051

Anyhow:

Here you go: https://hifigo.com/products/skw-hc5101b?_pos=1&_sid=d61e5c6ab&_ss=r

Oh yeah. I remember drooling at the RSV. Somehow I ended up buying Blessing 2 instead 😂
Here's another interesting collab.

1716076247907.png

[Make your music, Superior EX] First ever two major custom IEM brand collaboration IEM​

“SUPERIOR EX” is based on the concept model “SUPERIOR” from QDC, the largest custom IEM for professional use in China, and was completed through joint tuning with the cooperation of FitEar, the largest custom IEM for professional use in Japan. This is an IEM brand collaboration model. SUPERIOR, the second entry in the qdc concept model, focuses on allowing as many people as possible to experience the fitting, sound response speed, and sub-bass playback that are unique to a professional custom IEM brand. SUPERIOR EX is an extra concept model that focuses on reproducing the vast dynamics of music and is compatible with an even wider range of songs, in order to provide users with a musical experience that goes one step further. We jointly planned and developed it with the cooperation of "FitEar", the largest custom IEM company in Japan, who sympathized with the planning concept. [Make your music, Superior EX] As the first ever collaboration between two major custom IEM brands that respect each other, we will provide users with the three meanings of "EX", EXECUTIVE, EXTRA, and EXPERIENCE, for music listening, monitoring, It further upgrades the music experience you can get in a wide range of applications, from live stages to games.

Product nameSUPERIOR EX
driverDynamic type (10mm diameter single full range)
Number of drivers1DD/1 driver (one side)
formatClosed type
Frequency response range10 – 40,000Hz
Input sensitivity100dB SPL/mW
impedance16Ω
External sound isolation26dB
cable/plugSilver-plated OFC conductor 4-core cable (approximately 120cm) *Uses black color PVC coating.
Connector: Custom IEM 2pin, Plug (straight with metal sleeve): 3.5mm 3 pins
accessoriesSUPERIOR EX Cable 3.5mm 3-pole unbalanced,
qdcTips Soft-fit silicone earpieces: 3 pairs (S/M/L),
double flange silicone earpieces: 3 pairs (S/M/L),
cleaning tool, original carrying case
Country of originChina
Manufacturer warranty1 year for main unit / 6 months for cables and accessories

https://www.aiuto-jp.co.jp/products/product_5000.php

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #102,048 of 102,051
Man, I am super pissed with the xDuoo now. It's been 3-4 days since I started testing the XD05 Pro. The main issue is its battery life, man this is a transportable device with the battery backup of a 1900s Chinese smartphone(if they had any). Equipped with a massive 13600mAh battery, the device provides hardly 1:30-2 hours in turbo mode using balanced output and USB input. Even in Eco mode, the device provides hardly 5-6 hours and normal mode hardly giving me 4 hours approx only.

I have mailed them and contacted them through their website, but I have received no replies. Now my last resort is to contact via my known retailer in my country, if they still give me no resolution or proper revert to all this. I am gonna make a god damn video for them. This is not acceptable when reviewers are posting a battery backup of approx 10 hours while the unit lasts hardly 5-6 that too in the lowest gain mode.

Thanks for listening to my rant today. I am just pissed off because i spent close to 900$ with ROHM DAC card and now this is just trouble.
if you want to give up on the warranty
due to its "size" as in its not some mini dac.
if you have access to electronic repair shop, you could ask for battery replacement.
the old version, OG XD05 is fairly repairshop friendly. some of my old friend who are from electrical engineering love to tinker with it.
but yeah, risk and all.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #102,049 of 102,051

Anyhow:

A17102C0-E5ED-4BED-9648-1954D6EE1634.jpeg

Agreed; manufacturers collabing is much more interesting to me.

I don’t align with Timmy’s sound preferences at all so, not particularly on my radar. Looks nicer than your average collab fare though.

May 18, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #102,050 of 102,051

1716076247907.png

[Make your music, Superior EX] First ever two major custom IEM brand collaboration IEM​

“SUPERIOR EX” is based on the concept model “SUPERIOR” from QDC, the largest custom IEM for professional use in China, and was completed through joint tuning with the cooperation of FitEar, the largest custom IEM for professional use in Japan. This is an IEM brand collaboration model. SUPERIOR, the second entry in the qdc concept model, focuses on allowing as many people as possible to experience the fitting, sound response speed, and sub-bass playback that are unique to a professional custom IEM brand. SUPERIOR EX is an extra concept model that focuses on reproducing the vast dynamics of music and is compatible with an even wider range of songs, in order to provide users with a musical experience that goes one step further. We jointly planned and developed it with the cooperation of "FitEar", the largest custom IEM company in Japan, who sympathized with the planning concept. [Make your music, Superior EX] As the first ever collaboration between two major custom IEM brands that respect each other, we will provide users with the three meanings of "EX", EXECUTIVE, EXTRA, and EXPERIENCE, for music listening, monitoring, It further upgrades the music experience you can get in a wide range of applications, from live stages to games.

Product nameSUPERIOR EX
formatClosed type
impedance16Ω
cable/plugSilver-plated OFC conductor 4-core cable (approximately 120cm) *Uses black color PVC coating.
Country of originChina

You know, whenever I have the illusion that I somehow know how to tune IEM, manufacturers always managed to show me how much I don’t know.

Case and point, the project ACE. When I look at the preproduction graph, I was like “no, it would be too piercing, it would not have good soundstage, it would be too muted, it would sound unnatural” couldn’t be further from truth when I actually hear the IEM 😂 It would be cool to talk to folks like Lee (Elysian), Subtonic/Symphonium/Nightjar team, Steve (Hiby), Michael (Dita Project M) and understand how they actually tune an IEM. Fascinating.

May 18, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #102,051 of 102,051
What you don’t realize is that the very very first IEMs ever made were a from of collaboration. Every one of the very first ones were joint artist/manufacturer collaborations! :)

“The use of wireless IEMs by professional musicians onstage was first legitimized when Stevie Wonder began using a Chrys Lindop-modified version of them in the 1980s. Lindop was Stevie Wonder’s live sound engineer. Wonder had launched Wonderland Radio and was touring with a mobile FM radio broadcast transmitter. He used a Sony FM Walkman receiver tuned to Wonderland Radio so he could monitor himself on the broadcasts. This mobile FM radio station would travel with Wonder when he was on tour and would broadcast his concerts live, along with other music. A de facto pirate Radio station, Wonderland Radio reportedly could be picked up as far as six miles away by radio listeners in Hampstead, England when Wonder performed at Wembley Stadium. Rod Stewart and Peter Gabriel also went on to use Lindop’s subsequent IEM inventions later in the 1980s.

The IEMs that Lindop had modified were based on a 1965 design by a then 13-year-old Stephen Ambrose. Ambrose had mounted tiny speakers into a clay mold that he adapted from swimming earplug designs. His devices could deliver sound into a fully-sealed ear canal, thus becoming the first genuine operational IEM. He would go on to custom-make his new IEMs for such artists as Simon and Garfunkel, Diana Ross, and Rush for the next few decades and also go on to patent several innovations, such as an IEM with built-in hearing protection against excessive sound pressure levels.

In a 2019 interview in Pro Sound Web, Ambrose noted: “The speaker was very, very low quality. But I would listen to it, and I would try to figure out how to get my voice to go through the radio so I could listen to myself and amplify it so that nobody could hear me singing – especially my father. It came with an earbud, but it needed to be transformed. I first used gum – I actually used bubble gum! Then I became much more professional and moved to the big time and used Silly Putty. After that, I hacked open a tape recorder with a mic, took the amplifier out of it, and had it power the first in-ear monitors.”

In 1984, Steve Miller began funding R&D into a truly professional commercial-level IEM, and coined the term “Ear Monitor” in 1990 with a system devised by Marty Garcia (with Lindop) at Crystal Taylor Sound, who went on to become the founder of Future Sonics, a leader in the field to this day. Todd Rundgren was also an early adopter of Garcia’s IEM designs during the 1980s, and Utopia became the first group to go wedgeless and take Garcia’s prototype Future Sonics IEMs on the road in 1985, although these units were not yet wireless. Lindop’s pioneering use of FM wireless was incorporated into designs that he and Garcia created that included cannibalized parts from Sony Walkman transducers in order to create the Future Sonics Ear Monitor.

Competitors to Future Sonics emerged in the early 1990s, such as Sensaphonics’ ProPhonic system, Circus Maximus’ C-MAX, Etymotic Research’s canalphone, and a system from Bross Audio Design’s among the more prominent ones.

In 1995, Jerry Harvey was the touring monitor engineer for Van Halen and created the first multiple-driver IEMs for drummer Alex Van Halen, who was suffering ear pains from the huge SPLs of the band’s mammoth amp and sound system. Acknowledging the inadequacy of single-driver systems to deliver the clarity and ear protection required for Van Halen, Harvey’s multiple-driver IEMs became the template for most current models. Harvey is now the owner of JH Audio.

Seeing the burgeoning market trend, the big pro audio companies would soon follow in the mid 1990s. Sennheiser and Shure launched their respective IEM designs, and are still significant players in the sector, with Shure’s SE215 Pro IEM becoming nearly an industry standard among working musicians with its $89 suggested retail price.”

Product nameSUPERIOR EX
formatClosed type
impedance16Ω
Country of originChina

Agreed; manufacturers collabing is much more interesting to me.

I don’t align with Timmy’s sound preferences at all so, not particularly on my radar. Looks nicer than your average collab fare though.

You know, whenever I have the illusion that I somehow know how to tune IEM, manufacturers always managed to show me how much I don’t know.

Case and point, the project ACE. When I look at the preproduction graph, I was like “no, it would be too piercing, it would not have good soundstage, it would be too muted, it would sound unnatural” couldn’t be further from truth when I actually hear the IEM 😂 It would be cool to talk to folks like Lee (Elysian), Subtonic/Symphonium/Nightjar team, Steve (Hiby), Michael (Dita Project M) and understand how they actually tune an IEM. Fascinating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back