The New HIBY R3 II is here. 4.4MM Jack; Improved Sound and Bluetooth.
May 27, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #6,871 of 6,874
Ok, I don't know what to tell you, buy something else then.

But, the smaller capacity the battery has the more fragile it is. In the absence of a protection feature/circuit, it's just chemistry.

I sourced a new polymer pillow battery and watched a video on how to replace it, I just haven't taken the plunge yet. I've been using the HiBy plugged into wall power, or a phone-travel battery pack for quite some time now. Resorted to Tidal on my phone otherwise in the meantime. I have soldering tools and wiring etc, I may try the swap operation this week, and see if I can fit a mini molex plug on the new battery in case it happens again.

The hiby will look like it's charging. It gets to 86%, 90+ %, even 100%, but once it plays anywhere from 30 seconds to a few minutes on battery without being plugged in it completely shuts down and will not turn back on at all until plugged into wall power.

Understand that going through 2 HiBy's in three years (the first one is completely dead, the pro saber is the one that works plugged in) - is a little frustrating. I have a phone and a tablet that run way longer on polymer pillow batteries, in all sorts of weather and activities, and charge in all sorts of scenarios.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #6,872 of 6,874
Understand that going through 2 HiBy's in three years (the first one is completely dead, the pro saber is the one that works plugged in) - is a little frustrating. I have a phone and a tablet that run way longer on polymer pillow batteries, in all sorts of weather and activities, and charge in all sorts of scenarios.

I'm fairly certain it's definitely something in your usage pattern that is causing this. If you leave them plugged in most of the time that spells death for the little batteries.

Phones and tables have (1) bigger batteries and (2) more advanced charging circuits, so I would say it's not a fair comparison.

Anyway, a battery swap is an easy job, just make sure to use plastic a spudger in order to avoid marring the device when opening. If it's glued, some nice thin double sided "electronic repair" tape is good to have on hand and also something similar to shoe glue for when you can't use the tape, it's flexible and easy to remove. Use sparingly and remember isopropyl alcohol softens and dissolves glue.

May 29, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #6,873 of 6,874
I'm fairly certain it's definitely something in your usage pattern that is causing this. If you leave them plugged in most of the time that spells death for the little batteries.

Phones and tables have (1) bigger batteries and (2) more advanced charging circuits, so I would say it's not a fair comparison.

Anyway, a battery swap is an easy job, just make sure to use plastic a spudger in order to avoid marring the device when opening. If it's glued, some nice thin double sided "electronic repair" tape is good to have on hand and also something similar to shoe glue for when you can't use the tape, it's flexible and easy to remove. Use sparingly and remember isopropyl alcohol softens and dissolves glue.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions and encouragement about the battery swap. However, I already swapped it earlier tonight eastern standard time sometime before 6pm I was just reporting back here when I saw your reply. Still appreciate it.

When I did the battery swap, I used a mini molex plug on the wires so that if it ever happens again, I can swap it again without having to de-solder and solder it. I won't have to use a soldering gun at all.

Not the prettiest soldering job but it seems to be working well, I ran it for 5 hours or more straight with no cutouts or hard shutoffs. I have a leather case designed for the hiby R2/Pro Saber so I didn't worry about marring the back of it or anything. After cramming the battery, wires and mini molex plug in, I just pressed the back panel on and crammed the HibY device back into the tight case. Between how tight the case is + whatever stickiness remained on the thin back panel of the device, it's not going anywhere.

The old battery was puffy for sure.

I still think it's a bad design flaw in 2020 - 2024 that you have to walk on eggshells about charging something. People get called out to things, fall asleep, forget they left something on charge, etc. on the "overcharging" end of the equation.. plus it's marketed as having plugged in usb DAC functionality for a pc, etc. . and also for a portable device for hiking/running/biking, working out, doing hours of labor, etc, running out of charge shouldn't be unexpected on that end of the equation either.

At least I was able to replace the battery myself without damaging it, and I can swap it and have a fully working unit again, and with a simple molex plug (which probably would have been a good idea for them to include to begin with). I'll update if anything changes functionality wise.

Somewhat resentful but extremely happy with the end result.

. . . .

hiby_battery-hanging-on-wires_1-sm.jpg

hiby_battery-hanging-on-wires_3-sm.jpg

hiby_polymer.pillow.battery_bloated-2-sm.jpg

hiby_polymer.pillow.battery_bloated-3-sm.jpg

hiby.polymer.battery.swap_vid.ss_showing.molex-1.jpg

hiby.polymer.battery.swap_vid.ss_showing.molex-2.png

Last edited:
May 29, 2024 at 4:16 AM Post #6,874 of 6,874
Thanks for the helpful suggestions and encouragement about the battery swap. However, I already swapped it earlier tonight eastern standard time sometimes before 6pm I was just reporting back here when I saw your reply. Still appreciate it.

Nicely done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back