Topping G5
Dec 31, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #346 of 355
Anyone care to do a comparison?

Topping G5 vs Fiio Q15 vs iDSD final

I only own the G5 but the Q15 should be considered if you really want some playback buttons, and the screen along with hw EQ, or even the desktop mode. but if you want to save some bucks the G5 is very barebones but so damn good for what it is. I'm sure some people would pay the $400 if the G5 had a feature set similar to the Q15.

I'd skip the iDSD Finale unless you need the 4W of portable power which is almost a waste for portable use because I doubt very few people are going beyond their listening room or house to power headphones that would take full advantage of 2-4W of power. maybe if you're curious about iFi and BurrBrown implementation or the limited edition nature of the Finale but you could get a G5 AND an iFi desktop setup for $500.

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #347 of 355
The Q15 should be a very good value at $400. $100 more than G5 but more features. Plus, AKM's flagship chips and looks like plenty of power on tap. I don't believe it uses THX amplification which is personally why I'm a bit interested even though I'm not really looking for any new gear. And both balanced PO and LO which is important to a good number of people.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #348 of 355
Teh contraption.

Attachments

• IMG_20240102_175808_edit_148829158528852.jpg
    IMG_20240102_175808_edit_148829158528852.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240102_175400_edit_148632864425236.jpg
    IMG_20240102_175400_edit_148632864425236.jpg
    948.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 28, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #351 of 355
Considering resolution, it is on the top among this price range. Clear tr sound. I cannot believe its used price is around 200$. Popping electromagnetic noise problem from nx7 was not fixed at all. Do you want the cheap and resolving portable dac/amp? Do not hesitate. Just but this.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #352 of 355
Have anybody used Mojo/Mojo 2 as a Dac connected to the G5 as an amp? Could you give me some impressions on the combo? I heard that the Mojo 2 is excellent as used as a standalone Dac and since the amp section of the G5 is also exceptional within its category, is it worth it to have a bulky setup with the 2?

May 27, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #353 of 355
Have anybody used Mojo/Mojo 2 as a Dac connected to the G5 as an amp? Could you give me some impressions on the combo? I heard that the Mojo 2 is excellent as used as a standalone Dac and since the amp section of the G5 is also exceptional within its category, is it worth it to have a bulky setup with the 2?

That's up to you if it is worth carrying a heap of audio equipment. Some people just have to carry heaven with them, no matter how heavy it is.

May 29, 2024 at 6:15 AM Post #354 of 355
looking at your sig, you seem to use iems exclusively. in that case the power output of the g5 vs the one of the mojo standalone shouldnt make much of a difference.

May 30, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #355 of 355
Been loving the G5 for a little while now, but the glass broke, so I have to send it out for repair for who knows how long. In the meantime, I picked up a FiiO Q15. Quick notes comparing the two.

Setup: AAC 256bit (Soundcloud Go+), Android phone (S24U), USB and Bluetooth out to G5/Q15, 7Hz Aurora 4.4mm, Spiraldots, custom wavelet profile (bass boost + autoeq to crinacle target from 300Hz-15KHz).

Overall, they basically sound the same. The Q15 has more features, and the G5 is simple. The Q15 doesn't have the EMI issues the G5 has which is nice. Also nice to see a battery percentage since it seems like the G5 just shuts off on me with no warning and I'm like dang I gotta plug it in. I like the analog knob on the G5 since it gets you from loud to quiet and vice versa really quickly. The digital knob you have to rub it some more to get it up. However, it's easier to accidentally change the volume on the G5 when you're out n about. If you rub your pocket, you're likely to change the volume since it doesn't take much force to move. The Q15 knob is better secluded and harder to turn, so it doesn't have that problem.

In the pictures, the Q15 looked pretty big, but when put them next to each other, the differences are actually minor. The G5 is a little slimmer, so less bulgy. The Q15 fares well too, and the angled sides help with the bulk. I think the design of the Q15 is pretty ugly, but the angled sides minimize what would be a chunky edge poking out of your pocket. I love the simplistic look of the G5.

The media buttons are convenient when I just want to skip to the next track without going through the whole process of pulling out my phone yadda yadda. Just slip your hand in your pocket, blind guide your finger on the right button and done. The 4.4mm on the G5 is super tight. Thing's got a death grip on the plug whereas the Q15 slides in and out easier...uhh

As far as volume headroom goes, the Q15 has the edge, but only when in desktop mode. Super high gain is comparable to high gain on the G5. Ultra High gets you that 1500mW, but you can't get it in portable mode.

The Q15 has more glass that can break which sucks. Fortunately, there is a tempered glass screen protector available for the front glass, and you can get a case for it that's disgustingly expensive. The G5 also has a case that's slightly less expensive but lacks an aftermarket protector for the front glass. Go ahead and gorilla tape it lol. I really like the bottom of the G5, and I wish the Q15 had one like it. The glass on portable audio equipment fad needs to die.

If you want a solid portable dac/amp without all the bells n whistles that can put some power down, then the G5 is pretty much all you need. If you want those bells n whistles, then get the Q15. The G5 is simple and efficient, and the Q15 is more advanced and a bit more tedious in pretty much all areas but the media buttons and battery percentage indicator are really nice to have. Both units are home-runs in their respective functionality choices if that makes any sense. Just pick the flavor you jam with the most.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back