Trouble finding new music
May 3, 2024 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HBIII

New Head-Fier
Hi all! I’m finding it harder and harder to find new music that I like. There is just so much out there now it is nearly impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff without it becoming a full time job. It’s burnt me out a little and I’ve noticed I’m not listening to much music anymore aside from like the same three things over and over lol. How are you all finding new good music you like?

I’d like to avoid streaming if possible. Spotify has been driving me mad with how hard it makes it to listen to what I actually want to. I rather find some music critic/reviewers blog or something like that so I can just buy the stuff on bandcamp if I want. I’m mostly into electronic music of all types btw.

May 3, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 13
The handful of “what are you listening to” forums here on Head-Fi are great. I’ve also found a lot of new stuff directly on Bandcamp by signing up for various label mailing lists (or Bandcamp radio); I’ve found some of my favorite artists that way (eg Hello Meteor).

May 3, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 13
May 3, 2024 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 13
Another recommendation for Bandcamp :thumbsup:. I've been a member with them for a few years. On some promotional days all proceeds go directly to the artists.
They've also upgraded their mobile app recently to include playlists and easy access to all purchased music.

May 3, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 13
I use iTunes and go music shopping every Friday. The rock and alternative sections are always fresh. The Blue and Jazz sections do not get the same efforts.

May 3, 2024 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Does anyone write about music anymore? I really have not had good results letting corporations suggest stuff to me algorithmically... Even bandcamp suggestions are usually not that great...

May 3, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 13
Allmusic is like Imdb for Movies.
For every Recording they have a Category similar Recordings and for every Artist they have an Category related Artist.

May 3, 2024 at 1:01 PM Post #9 of 13
Does anyone write about music anymore? I really have not had good results letting corporations suggest stuff to me algorithmically... Even bandcamp suggestions are usually not that great...
If you like rock and blues, there is a site with a weekly newsletter called rock and blues muse:
https://www.rockandbluesmuse.com/

May 3, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 13
Hi all! I’m finding it harder and harder to find new music that I like. There is just so much out there now it is nearly impossible to sort the wheat from the chaff without it becoming a full time job. It’s burnt me out a little and I’ve noticed I’m not listening to much music anymore aside from like the same three things over and over lol. How are you all finding new good music you like?

I’d like to avoid streaming if possible. Spotify has been driving me mad with how hard it makes it to listen to what I actually want to. I rather find some music critic/reviewers blog or something like that so I can just buy the stuff on bandcamp if I want. I’m mostly into electronic music of all types btw.
Streaming is the way to go. It’s worth the $10 a month.

After 8 years on Tidal, curating my playlists, I get very good recommendations every day. I “like” at least two new albums per week. Tidal has done a good job of knowing what I do not like.

EDIT:
I am lucky to have the time to listen to Tidal recommended tracks in HiFi sound quality and quickly move on if necessary. IMHO better than You Tube videos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back