Warwick Acoustics APERIO and BRAVURA
May 30, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #886 of 888
To be fair - no one is saying such ideas and requests can't be shared/voiced - in point of fact - the suggestion wasn't about just a cable - it is also about an energizer that would be compatible with (for example) Stax electrostatic headphones (or Hifiman).

I did watch the video twice - and quite carefully. Even a cursory look at the 'system' shows that Warwick would basically have to create a Stax or Hifiman electrostatic system to meet that suggestion. Which defeats the point of their proprietary system.

Warwick Acoustics electrostatic headphones operate not at the Stax "Pro" bias 580V energizing force (the industry standard) but at their own, much higher voltage: The Bravura is biased at 1350V, the Aperio at 1800V. This means that one cannot not use either of Warwick's headphones with any amp energizer but their own. And conversely too. It’s a different system in a number of ways – and, I guess, for a number of (technical) reasons.

I’m not that much of a tech-head, but in this case it’s not hard to see the problematic involved.

But no one is forcing anyone to buy into such a proprietary system. And it may be that Warwick lose out on a number of sales. Their headphones are incredibly well-made. I’m sure they’d have buyers who would be happy to use them with other systems – but this is the point – the Bravura and Aperio deal is a deal of a closed system. Apart from the fact the Aperio accommodates the use of non-Warwick DACs. And some other Audiophile tuning freedoms.
I wasn't referring to the video. I was referring to the people posting in the thread about the cable.

Changing the system to be Stax compatible probably has other implications that we cannot assess. Maybe that would hurt the much stronger bass reproduction of a system like the Aperio compared to the Stax.

Last edited:
May 30, 2024 at 8:41 AM Post #887 of 888
I wasn't referring to the video. I was referring to the people posting in the thread about the cable.

Changing the system to be Stax compatible probably has other implications that we cannot assess. Maybe that would hurt the much stronger bass reproduction of a system like the Aperio compared to the Stax.
Okay. Noted.

My guess is there would have been a great number of reasons behind not sticking with the Stax standards (in the original manifestation of the headphones and Sonoma energizer. I agree with you - the consequences/implications of now switching to a Stax-compliant system (energizer/cable) would be major.

I don't find my Bravura system bass light in the slightest - and if this is a result of the proprietary Warwick system - it speaks very well of that system.

May 30, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #888 of 888
Due to the very high voltages these cables are specially built to very precise tolerances. Even the Lemo connectors are not just off the shelf. I doubt that they would be willing to allow any third party cables into their system. That’s a lot of voltage! I have the Aperio and the Bravura and there is a cable fault protection system built into both that is activated if there is the slightest problem with a cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back